POLICE deliberately rammed a banned driver in an attempt to bring a high speed chase to an end.
The officers hoped to make Jack Brennan, aged 19, spin onto a grass verge by making contact with the back of his Vauxhall Vectra, however he handled the spin and raced away again.
Brennan, of Long Row, Llanelli, admitted dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, failing to stop for a police officer and driving without insurance.
Craig Jones, prosecuting, told Swansea crown court how police saw the Vectra at Trostre roundabout late on February 17 being driven without any lights on.
The officers signalled for Brennan to stop but he sped off.
During the next few minutes he swerved through ‘no entry’ signs, dashed through cross roads without giving way to on coming traffic and almost hit railings after losing control.
Mr Jones said Brennan reached 55mph along narrow residential roads and the officers became so worried they tried to force him off the road.
The chase came to an end when Brennan suddenly stopped, got out of the Vectra and knelt on the ground with his arms in the air.
After his arrest Brennan told police he had panicked because he knew he had already been banned from driving. Mr Jones said Brennan already had two convictions for dangerous driving.
Brennan’s barrister, John Hipkin, said his driving record was appalling and only one sentence could follow. He said Brennan intended leaving the area after his release from prison.
Judge Paul Thomas said he doubted the citizens of Llanelli would miss him.
“For a nineteen year old you have a very bad driving record. This is the third time in little over a year you have been before the court for dangerous driving and the fourth time for driving while disqualified.
“You took a risk with other people’s lives at almost every junction you passed.
“You have not yet killed or injured someone but in my opinion it is only a matter of time before you do,” he added.
Disqaulifications ‘did not work’, said the judge, because Brennan simply ignored them.
Brennan was jailed for 40 weeks and banned from driving for three years. Judge Thomas also ordered the confiscation of the Vauxhall Vectra.
Victoria Road: Meat stolen shed not fit for humans, say police
DYFED-POWYS POLICE is warning that meat stolen during a burglary in Llanelli is not fit for consumption by humans.
Several bags of frozen chicken and other meat were taken from a shed in Queen Victoria Road some time over the past few days, along with a radio controlled car and an electric saw.
If eaten, the meat could result in food poisoning.
Officers are concerned that the offender could be intending to sell the meat on, or might already have sold it.
Anyone with information about the burglary is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police on 101.
Llanelli: Woman on trial for fiddling more than £100,000 in benefits
A LLANELLI woman is to stand trial accused of fiddling more than £100,000 in benefits she was not entitled to.
Emma Jane Campbell, aged 49, appeared at Swansea Crown Court today for a plea and trial preparation hearing before Judge Keith Thomas.
Campbell, of Elizabeth Street, denied retaining wrongful credits totalling £42,908 between 2002 and 2010, £63,113 between 2002 and 2016 and £7,722 between 20002 and 2013.
The amounts were said to relate to income support, housing benefit and council tax relief received by Campbell when she had capital in excess of the permitted amount.
Campbell is also charged with fraud by claiming Jobseeker’s allowance and employment support allowance but failing to notify the Department for Work and Pensions of her true financial position.
Campbell entered pleas of not guilty to all the charges.
She was granted bail until the start of her trial on April 17.
Burry Port RFC welcomes asset transfer
BURRY PORT RFC has welcomed its takeover of its home base from Carmarthenshire County Council.
The Rugby Club has signed a 99 year lease for the playing fields and changing rooms at Burry Port Memorial Park as part of the county council’s asset transfer programme.
The club has also been awarded a Maintenance Grant to assist with maintaining the asset and an Improvement Grant to assist with making any improvement works they may wish to undertake.
Around 80 per cent of the county council’s recreation assets have already been transferred, or are nearing completion, to town or community councils, or community groups.
Two years ago the council’s executive board agreed a package to offer community councils or groups the opportunity to take over the running of facilities in their areas.
Councillors believe it gives local people greater control in the future of their area and their community.
Burry Port RFC secretary Jonathan Davies said the club accepted that changes had to be made although it would not have chosen it.
“In hindsight I think it is a positive thing for the club. It has increased the assets of the club and given members a sense of belonging to the park.”
Executive board member for assets Cllr David Jenkins said: “Unfortunately, we can no longer afford to maintain all the recreational assets in our portfolio.
“However, this is not just a cost saving exercise – communities are often best placed to manage facilities in their local environment.
“I’m pleased that Burry Port RFC has taken over and is looking forward to the future.”
News2 weeks ago
Queen Mary’s Walk: Police investigate after sudden death
News2 weeks ago
Driving tests on hold as instructors strike over safety fears
News3 days ago
Sandy Road air quality raised in Senedd
News2 weeks ago
Man suffered fractured skull in assault
News1 week ago
Two pints cost driver his licence
News4 days ago
Police considering ‘finger guards’ after man has fingers chopped off
News6 days ago
Two assaults possibly connected, police say
News6 days ago
‘Naturist’ fraudster conned £50k from businessman