Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Cancer patient’s heating money stolen

Published

on

A TERMINALLY-ILL woman was ‘devastated’ after finding out that a man she befriended had stolen £500 which she had been saving to pay for heating oil, magistrates in Llanelli heard on Thursday (Aug 3).

The court heard that 40-year-old Christopher James, of Kidwelly, had taken the woman’s cash card without her consent, and withdrawn the maximum of £250 on two occasions over two days while she thought that the card had been lost.

James pleaded guilty to two charges of theft.

Prosecuting, Lisa Jones described the offences as a clear breach of trust. She explained that the complainant had become aware that her bank card was being used after she contacted the bank when she thought she had lost her card. She found out that the card had been used at the cashpoint of Kidwelly Co-op.

Police checked the CCTV, and told the complainant that the money had been taken by a man who had previously accompanied her to the cash machine when she checked her balance.

She identified James, who she said she had known for around a year. She explained that she was suffering from terminal cancer, and James drove her to medical appointments as well as taking her shopping.

In a statement to the police, she described James as a friend, and said she ‘couldn’t believe’ that he would do this to her. She said that she no longer felt comfortable using cashpoints, and explained that she had intended to spend the money on buying heating oil – something James knew.

In an interview, James initially denied the thefts, and said that he knew the complainant’s PIN number because he had taken money out for her before.

The court heard that he had a previous conviction for burglary in 2005.

Magistrates adjourned sentencing to allow the probation service to write an all-options report.

News

Victoria Road: Meat stolen shed not fit for humans, say police

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is warning that meat stolen during a burglary in Llanelli is not fit for consumption by humans.
Several bags of frozen chicken and other meat were taken from a shed in Queen Victoria Road some time over the past few days, along with a radio controlled car and an electric saw.
If eaten, the meat could result in food poisoning.
Officers are concerned that the offender could be intending to sell the meat on, or might already have sold it.
Anyone with information about the burglary is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police on 101.

Continue Reading

News

Llanelli: Woman on trial for fiddling more than £100,000 in benefits

Published

on

A LLANELLI woman is to stand trial accused of fiddling more than £100,000 in benefits she was not entitled to.

Emma Jane Campbell, aged 49, appeared at Swansea Crown Court today for a plea and trial preparation hearing before Judge Keith Thomas.

Campbell, of Elizabeth Street, denied retaining wrongful credits totalling £42,908 between 2002 and 2010, £63,113 between 2002 and 2016 and £7,722 between 20002 and 2013.

The amounts were said to relate to income support, housing benefit and council tax relief received by Campbell when she had capital in excess of the permitted amount.

Campbell is also charged with fraud by claiming Jobseeker’s allowance and employment support allowance but failing to notify the Department for Work and Pensions of her true financial position.

Campbell entered pleas of not guilty to all the charges.

She was granted bail until the start of her trial on April 17.

Continue Reading

News

Burry Port RFC welcomes asset transfer

Published

on

BURRY PORT RFC has welcomed its takeover of its home base from Carmarthenshire County Council.

The Rugby Club has signed a 99 year lease for the playing fields and changing rooms at Burry Port Memorial Park as part of the county council’s asset transfer programme.

The club has also been awarded a Maintenance Grant to assist with maintaining the asset and an Improvement Grant to assist with making any improvement works they may wish to undertake.

Around 80 per cent of the county council’s recreation assets have already been transferred, or are nearing completion, to town or community councils, or community groups.

Two years ago the council’s executive board agreed a package to offer community councils or groups the opportunity to take over the running of facilities in their areas.

Councillors believe it gives local people greater control in the future of their area and their community.

Burry Port RFC secretary Jonathan Davies said the club accepted that changes had to be made although it would not have chosen it.

“In hindsight I think it is a positive thing for the club. It has increased the assets of the club and given members a sense of belonging to the park.”

Executive board member for assets Cllr David Jenkins said: “Unfortunately, we can no longer afford to maintain all the recreational assets in our portfolio.

“However, this is not just a cost saving exercise – communities are often best placed to manage facilities in their local environment.

“I’m pleased that Burry Port RFC has taken over and is looking forward to the future.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK