Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Footballer’s ‘haymaker’ punch which fractured jaw leads to jail

Published

on

A LLANELLI footballer has been jailed for a ‘haymaker’ of a punch that fractured the jaw of a rival player in two places.

Ollie Noor, aged 28, has since been banned for life from playing in a six a side competition held at the Parc y Scarlets stadium.

Noor, of DanyBanc, Felinfoel, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm to 17 year old Liam Jones and was jailed for eight months.

Helen Randall, prosecuting, said on December 4 last year there had been a bad tempered match during which Noor had been yellow carded and sin binned for a while for foul play.

He returned to the playing area and with just three minutes to go was the victim of a late tackle.

Noor, a paint sprayer, reacted by knocking out Mr Jones, who was taken to Swansea’s Morriston hospital for specialised treatment and had plates and screws inserted into his jaw.

The court heard that Mr Jones had not played since the attack and his college studies had suffered.

David Williams, representing Noor, said his side had been winning 10-0 and there had been no need for the late tackle as it would not have affected the result.

Judge Geraint Walters said the match had been ill tempered and at one point Noor had been sin binned.

The punch, he added, must have been a haymaker because it fractured Mr Jones’ jaw on both sides of his face.

News

Victoria Road: Meat stolen shed not fit for humans, say police

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is warning that meat stolen during a burglary in Llanelli is not fit for consumption by humans.
Several bags of frozen chicken and other meat were taken from a shed in Queen Victoria Road some time over the past few days, along with a radio controlled car and an electric saw.
If eaten, the meat could result in food poisoning.
Officers are concerned that the offender could be intending to sell the meat on, or might already have sold it.
Anyone with information about the burglary is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police on 101.

Continue Reading

News

Llanelli: Woman on trial for fiddling more than £100,000 in benefits

Published

on

A LLANELLI woman is to stand trial accused of fiddling more than £100,000 in benefits she was not entitled to.

Emma Jane Campbell, aged 49, appeared at Swansea Crown Court today for a plea and trial preparation hearing before Judge Keith Thomas.

Campbell, of Elizabeth Street, denied retaining wrongful credits totalling £42,908 between 2002 and 2010, £63,113 between 2002 and 2016 and £7,722 between 20002 and 2013.

The amounts were said to relate to income support, housing benefit and council tax relief received by Campbell when she had capital in excess of the permitted amount.

Campbell is also charged with fraud by claiming Jobseeker’s allowance and employment support allowance but failing to notify the Department for Work and Pensions of her true financial position.

Campbell entered pleas of not guilty to all the charges.

She was granted bail until the start of her trial on April 17.

Continue Reading

News

Burry Port RFC welcomes asset transfer

Published

on

BURRY PORT RFC has welcomed its takeover of its home base from Carmarthenshire County Council.

The Rugby Club has signed a 99 year lease for the playing fields and changing rooms at Burry Port Memorial Park as part of the county council’s asset transfer programme.

The club has also been awarded a Maintenance Grant to assist with maintaining the asset and an Improvement Grant to assist with making any improvement works they may wish to undertake.

Around 80 per cent of the county council’s recreation assets have already been transferred, or are nearing completion, to town or community councils, or community groups.

Two years ago the council’s executive board agreed a package to offer community councils or groups the opportunity to take over the running of facilities in their areas.

Councillors believe it gives local people greater control in the future of their area and their community.

Burry Port RFC secretary Jonathan Davies said the club accepted that changes had to be made although it would not have chosen it.

“In hindsight I think it is a positive thing for the club. It has increased the assets of the club and given members a sense of belonging to the park.”

Executive board member for assets Cllr David Jenkins said: “Unfortunately, we can no longer afford to maintain all the recreational assets in our portfolio.

“However, this is not just a cost saving exercise – communities are often best placed to manage facilities in their local environment.

“I’m pleased that Burry Port RFC has taken over and is looking forward to the future.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK