Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Police considering ‘finger guards’ after man has fingers chopped off

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have been told that safety guards should be fitted to all cell doors following an incident in which a man had part of his fingers chopped off.

29-year-old Jamie Clark, from Burry Port, was injured after being wrongly accused of assaulting a police officer.

He was arrested in June last year and was accused of assaulting PC Christopher Burton at Llanelli police station.

He then claimed he was stripped naked, pepper sprayed and ‘forced’ into a cell by up to six police officers.

Mr Clark said: “I went to get out but that’s when I felt this huge pain and felt my flesh being torn away when the door was shut,” he said last year.

“I was screaming in agony. I was begging the officers to open the door but no-one helped me.”

Following his fingers being trapped in the door, Mr Clark won a legal battle to get CCTV footage of the incident.

He then provided the footage to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and lodged a formal complaint.

It was ruled that there was insufficient evidence to bring a misconduct case against officers involved in the incident, however the IPCC did suggest that the police force installed ‘finger guards’.

A spokesperson for the IPCC said: “The force accepted recommendations to remind custody officers that significant events and decisions should be recorded in detail and to ensure custody staff training looks at minimising any risk of injury to detainees during the closure of cell doors.

“Dyfed-Powys Police also planned to assess the possibility of installing finger guards in custody suites.”

Dyfed-Powys Police said they had ‘complied with recommendations from the IPCC, including adding a new element around finger safety to training and reviewing the possibility of finger guards’.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Man dies following Christmas Eve assault

Published

on

LLANELLI JOINT INVESTIGATION UNIT is investigating a serious assault on a man that occurred just after midnight on Sunday, December 24, 2017, at Vista Lounge, Llanelli.

The victim – 52-year-old Denzil Vaughan Edwards – has today (Jan 17) tragically passed away following a period of medical attention at the Heath hospital, Cardiff. His family is being supported by specialist officers.

Dyfed-Powys Police officers are making a further appeal for information about the incident, and would like to speak to anyone who has not yet been in contact with the police.

Any witnesses, or anyone who was at Vista Lounge on Saturday, December 23, into the early hours of Sunday, December 24, are urged to contact DS Ceri Evans or DC Amy Davies by calling 101. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

A 36-year-old local man was arrested on suspicion of assault on December 24 and is currently on police bail.

Continue Reading

News

Police advise ‘hang up on suspicious callers’

Published

on

A NATIONAL telephone scam, aiming to steal money, has reached residents living within the Dyfed-Powys area.

Paul Callard, of Dyfed-Powys Police’s Financial Crime Team, said: “Action Fraud has today  made us aware three people living in Dyfed-Powys have been contacted by fraudsters claiming to be from BT, in the past four days. While three people have reported, we suspect many more have been targeted.

“Victims receive a telephone call from someone pretending to be from BT who is calling due to a problem with the victim’s internet connection speed. During the call the victim is asked to open their online banking, eBay, Tesco and other accounts. The scammer then tries to gain remote access to the victim’s computer to empty the victim’s bank account.

“BT will never ask for remote access to your computer or access to your online bank account. We urge anyone who receives unsolicited/cold calls from any company hang up immediately. Do not enter into conversation with them, provide them with any personal details or send them any money. You should only phone the company back using a trusted phone number.”

If you have been the victim of fraud, attempted fraud, or cyber crime, or have received a potential scam message or computer virus but no money has been lost or you haven’t responded to it, report it to Action Fraud either online or by calling 0300 123 2040.

For further advice and information on how to avoid being scammed visit www.actionfraud.police.uk.

Continue Reading

News

Man consumed ‘six treble vodkas’ as he looked after children

Published

on

A CARMARTHENSHIRE man found in public with his two young children after he drank six treble vodkas appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Jan 11)

The man, in his 40s, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to two charges of being drunk in charge of a child under the age of seven.

Lisa Jones, prosecuting, requested that the case be adjourned for a pre-sentence report.

She told the court that last September police officers spoke to the man, who had two children with him – one in a pram.

The officers could smell alcohol and he said that he had only had six drinks but was unsteady on his feet.

The defendant went on to say that he had not slept for the past five days, had consumed six treble vodka-and-cokes that day and thought he was ‘tipsy’.

There was a bottle of clear liquid under the pram which was established to be vodka. The man admitted to drinking once a week and said that the children had eaten four hours previously.

Sentencing was adjourned for three weeks to allow the probation services to carry out a full report. The defendant was released on unconditional bail until then.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK