Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Swift and Sheeran to headline Swansea music festival

Published

on

TWO of the world’s biggest pop stars will be performing in Swansea at Singleton Park on May 26-27.

BBC Radio 1 is hosting The Biggest Week – a music festival in four locations around the UK in Glastonbury’s gap year – and Swansea has been chosen as one of the locations.

So far, the two headline acts have been announced – and music fans across Wales are very excited.

On the Saturday, Ed Sheeran will be performing, followed by Taylor Swift on the Sunday.

Tickets for the event go on sale at 7:45am on February 12, with the majority of the tickets reserved for those living in and around the Swansea area.

The organisers of the event said: “Staging each event would be impossible without the help and support of the local councils in each location and a number of tickets (Pot 1) will initially be reserved for residents of the respective council area.

“A second set of tickets (Pot 2) will be reserved for others living in the wider surrounding area of each event, with the remainder unreserved (Pot 3).

“Please note, to apply for tickets in Pots 1 or 2 you will need to enter the postcode of your home address at the time of purchase in the ‘Enter Offer Code’ box on Ticketmaster. You will be asked for the billing address of the credit card used to book tickets, and further checks will be made to verify your details.

“If the card is not registered at the address / postcode used when applying for tickets from Pot 1 or 2 you will be asked for proof to verify that you are a resident of the respective area for each Pot. Tickets obtained by using false addresses may be cancelled without notice.

“Pots 1 and 2 will be in operation for 7 days from 12th February until midday on Monday 19th February – in the unlikely event that tickets from pots 1 and 2 do not sell out, any unsold tickets will be moved to Pot 3 and put on general sale at this point for anyone to purchase.”

The other events will be held in Belfast, Northern Island; Perth, Scotland; and Coventry, England.

News

Cold temperatures likely to lead to icy conditions

Published

on

A YELLOW weather warning is in place over Wales from 10pm tonight (Jan 16) and 11am tomorrow morning (Jan 17).

As temperatures drop, there is a strong chance of ice patches causing dangerous conditions for motorists.

Icy patches developing with wintry showers also affecting some areas.

What to expect

  • Some injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces
  • Probably some ice on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths
Continue Reading

News

Police target burglary suspects in dawn raids

Published

on

SIXTEEN addresses have been raided by police in an operation responding to a spate of high-value burglaries in the south Wales area.

Officers targeted locations in Fforest-Fach, Clase, Morrison, Brynhyfryd and Bonymaen following a year of thefts in the city and Neath Port Talbot.

Operation Timmia also saw locations in Swansea citry centre targeted by South Wales Police.

Six people have been arrested and remain in custody, The Llanelli Herald has been told.

The large scale operation used the police helicopter, forensics teams, financial investigators and cash-detecting dogs.

Police seized three caravans, a cannabis cultivation, large amounts of cash and jewellery, and a number of other items believed to be linked to crimes.

Detectives said those arrested are being held on suspicion of several offences, including conspiracy to commit burglary.

They have also issued an appeal to trace a further four suspects: Daniel Casey, 27; Terrence Casey, 19; Michael Casey, 18; and Patrick Joyce, 20.

All four men have links with the travelling community and are known to travel throughout the UK, said police.

“We know the recent spates of burglaries and car thefts across the division has been of real concern in our local communities and I hope the scale of this morning’s enforcement action reassures the public that we do take the matter seriously and that we are fully committed to bringing those responsible to justice,” said Det Insp Dave Peart.

“We now have a number of individuals in custody and enquiries are ongoing to locate a number of outstanding suspects.”

As part of the raids, officers searched an industrial unit in the Fforestfach area of the city, and nine caravans on Millstream Way traveller site.

The force said the investigation follow what has been described as a “high number of burglaries and aggravated burglaries in the past year”.

In some instances, homeowners were confronted by armed gangs who either threatened or inflicted violence.

Supt Cath Larkman added: “During some of the recent burglaries we’ve seen an increasing use of, or willingness to use, violence, so today’s action was absolutely proportionate and necessary to protect the public from further criminality and potential harm.”

Continue Reading

News

Band leader sexually assaulted 14-year-old cadet

Published

on

THE LEADER of an Army cadet band turned a kitchen into a sauna and sexually assaulted a naked teenage boy.

And Philip Pryor, now 65, used a British Legion computer to download child pornography.

Pryor, of Llys y Llyfgell, Burry Port, has been jailed for two and a half years.

Swansea Crown Court heard how Pryor had been the leader of an Army cadet band in Burry Port, which attracted members from across west Wales, as well as being a branch secretary for the British Legion.

Robin Rouch, prosecuting, said the Army had a hut in Burry Port which the band used for rehearsals and some cadets slept there, as did Pryor, before a concert.

A man who was a 14-year-old cadet at the time told police how Pryor would boil pans of water and place towels around doors and windows and turn the kitchen into a sauna.

Boys were encouraged to take off their clothes, as did Pryor.

On at least three occasions he touched the boy indecently, said Mr Rouch.

The victim did not complain until many years later after he had seen a television news item about young footballers being abused and confided in a friend about what had happened to him.

He later told police that at the time Pryor, who had played in a military band while serving in the Army, had told him that because of his standing in the community there was no point in complaining as no-one would believe him.

Mr Rouch said a police investigation began and officers removed a British Legion computer used by Pryor and found he had downloaded a small number of indecent images of schoolboys.

Pryor admitted three offences of indecent assault and one of possessing child pornography.

His barrister, Frank Phillips, said Pryor was now remorseful and ashamed and had lived as a recluse since his arrest.

Judge Geraint Walters told Pryor he had been in a position of trust.

“You targeted him and abused him more than once.

“The fact that he went to the police so many years later demonstrates the long lasting effect of what you did to him. It has never left him.

“It shows the wickedness of an adult taking advantage of a youngster.

“There was some grooming here in that you allowed him to have alcohol and cigarette.

“I accept you have led a blameless life since the offending but it is not possible for me to pass a sentence that could be suspended,” he added.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK