Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Last day at Lakefield Primary filled with emotion

Published

on

THE LAST day of the Spring Term also meant the end of an era for staff and pupils at one Llanelli school.
Lakefield C.P. School, which was built in the late 1880s, has now closed after educating the area’s children for well over a century.
At the start of the Summer Term, pupils from Lakefield and Copperworks Infants School will attend Ysgol Pen Rhos, a brand-new £11m super school in Seaside. Pupils will have an extra week off during the Easter period in preparation for the move which has been eagerly awaited. One resident memorably pointed out that the school was older than the one on display in St Fagans.
The Herald visited Lakefield Primary School last week to meet with staff and pupils for the last day of term. It was a rather bittersweet movement as this would be possibly the last photograph taken at this location for all involved.
Ysgol Pen Rhos was officially established back in September 2016, and among the many changes is a change of signature colour to purple from royal blue, as chosen by the pupils.
All members of staff along with 412 pupils between the ages of 3-11 years old are ready for the move and the first day at Ysgol Pen Rhos will be April 18.
Year 3 Class Teacher Ms Rees-Davies said: “I’m very excited about the new build and can’t wait to get arrive there to teach. It’ll be lovely for the children to have such nice surroundings, new equipment an outstanding outdoor area, it’s everything we could possibly want. The facilities are fabulous. My classroom has to be the best part of the new build. The outdoor area is something that shall benefit the area – they’ve not had access to a proper one before. Outdoor learning opportunities will be amazing!
Ms Rees-Davies told us that according to an old log book she read Lakefield CP itself was formed on the site of another school at the end of March 1953 – coincidentally 65 years before this move.
Year 3 Class Teacher Ms Conway said it would be ‘emotional’ moving onto the new school, after five years working at Lakefield.
“I was a pupil here; lots of my family have worked and attended the school,” she added. “There’s a close family connection which includes my mother Mrs Bush who is Administrative Officer here, she started when I was a pupil here in year 3. Mrs Morgans the Deputy Head Teacher has also been here for many years and has seen a number of transitions – this will be a welcome one for all.”

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Debbie Davies

    April 4, 2018 at 8:07 pm

    It would be nice for past pupils to have a chance to visit the old school before they redevelop the site!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Gigabit broadband voucher scheme boost for Wales

Published

on

THE UK’s Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme is to be given a boost in Wales thanks to a new partnership between the Welsh and UK Governments. Ministers from both Governments are now urging Welsh businesses and communities to apply for the funding to get gigabit speeds.

The announcement follows an agreement between the UK and Welsh Governments, and reflects the higher costs of deploying fibre infrastructure in Wales, as a result of the country’s topography and the location of premises.

The UK Government’s Gigabit broadband vouchers – worth up to £2500 – are currently available to small businesses and surrounding local communities to contribute to the installation costs of a gigabit-capable broadband connection.

Under the new arrangements, the Welsh Government will provide an additional £3,000 for businesses up to a certain size and an additional £300 per residential property. This means that for group* projects in Wales up to £5,500 is available per business, compared with £2,500 elsewhere in the UK. Up to £800 will now be available per residential property in Wales, compared with £500 elsewhere.

Deputy Minister for Economy Lee Waters said: “Although the vast majority of premises in Wales can now access superfast broadband, we are working hard on assisting the remaining five per cent that cannot access it and where commercial companies have no plans to reach. There is no one size fits all solution to reach the final premises, and the Gigabit Broadband Voucher scheme is an important part of a suite of measures to achieve this.

“This voucher scheme can provide a vital funding source for group connectivity projects, and could be of great benefit to communities currently without access.
I’m pleased we’ve been able to work with the UK Government to provide an enhanced scheme for Wales, taking into account the particular challenges we face here with geography and the location of premises.”

UK Minister for Digital Margot James said: “This exclusive scheme for Welsh businesses and communities is a vital part of our modern Industrial Strategy and build a Britain that is fit for the future. Working with the Welsh Government, together we can make sure that everyone in Wales has the connectivity they need for the digital age.”

The voucher scheme forms part of a package aimed at improving connectivity in Wales. The Welsh and UK Government funded £200 million Superfast Cymru programme has already taken superfast broadband speeds to more than 733,000 Welsh homes and businesses commercial companies had no plans to cover. The Welsh Government is also investing a further £22.5 million to reach an additional 26,000 premises and the UK Government is introducing a Universal Service Obligation** that will make fast broadband a legal right for every home and business in Wales by 2020.

Continue Reading

News

Rescuers attend to injured construction workers in New Dock Street

Published

on

A MULTI AGENCY rescue operation is underway in Llanelli involving all three emergency services after an incident at a construction site.

Workers have been at the New Dock Street site, working for around three years, The Herald understands.

The Herald has been told that a piece of plant malfunctioned causing the emergency, which happened earlier this evening (Mar 19).

Four fire engines and three ambulances are at the scene, our reporter said.

A specialist line rescue team is involved in the recovery operation.

An eye-witness told the press that three workers have been affected.

The source said: “Concrete had just been mixed and had been poured into a skip which was then lifted using a machine. The concrete was being lowered into the hole, it’s probably about 20ft and then the machine toppled over.”

He added: “Two men climbed out of the hole on their own and as a precaution the third man was told to stay down there. The workers were told to leave the site as a precaution.”

At least one person has been seen being taken away in an ambulance.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Llanelli: Met Bar incident investigated

Published

on

AN INCIDENT which resulted in a 51-year old man having to go hospital is being investigated by Dyfed-Powys Police.

The man has been discharged from Glangwili Hospital but police are looking in to how the incident happened and how the man fell down some steps.

The incident happened outside the Met Bar in Llanelli on Saturday night (Mar 16).

A spokeswoman for Dyfed-Powys Police told the Herald: “At approximately 10.55pm on Saturday March 16, officers responded to reports of an injured man outside The Met Bar, Station Road, Llanelli, after he’d fallen down some steps at the location.

“Ambulance was at scene, and the 51 year old man was conveyed to Glangwili Hospital with what was thought to have been a serious head injury. He was then later discharged from hospital, and the head injury was no longer believed to be serious.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact police by calling 101 and quoting DPP/3011/16/03/2019/02/C. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK