Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Rainscape road closure threatening local businesses

Avatar

Published

on

THE ONGOING works to rectify Llanelli’s long-standing flooding problems in the Tyisha area have led to some small businesses saying that they have suffered loss of trade due to road closures.

Construction of the Rainscape project, which is designed to address the large volume of stormwater getting into the foul sewer by creating a 1.1km long surface water sewer along with pumping stations and other connecting schemes, is predicted to last until December. The works have seen a section of Marsh Street closed to traffic.

Plaid Cymru Town Councillor for the Tyisha Ward Terry Davies told The Herald that ‘at least five’ businesses had raised concerns with him about lost trade.

“We can’t ignore the fact that businesses within the locality are fighting to stay lucrative – they rely totally on passing trade for turnover,” he explained.

“Coupled with low profit margins, they’re feeling the pinch after weeks of this road closure. They need easy access to their premises which has now been restricted by the Rainscape plans. The restrictions are said to be in effect until December of this year.

“The problem needs to be looked at in more depth to ensure traffic flow is available to all the businesses or we’re going to lose them and the employment that they offer. The Tyisha area of this town and county is the most deprived and this will make a massive impact on our community if we lose the businesses, we can’t let that happen.”

After concerns were raised, Morgan Sindall – the contractor carrying out the work for Dwr Cymru -has agreed to a temporary revision of the traffic management system in Caersalem Terrace which is said to have helped. Last week saw the street revert from a one way traffic system to a two-way street.

Cllr Andre McPherson, who represents the Tyisha Ward on Carmarthenshire County Council, told The Herald that businesses were being helped to apply for compensation if they could show that the works had affected their business.

“Over the last 12 months we have had several meeting with Rainscape on the process that is taking places in the Tyisha ward,” he added.

“As part of this we have had concerns about the financial impact to the businesses, and with this in mind we discussed with the aforesaid business what they needed to be done to help them through this disruption.”

Cllr McPherson explained that adverts were being placed in the local media to inform customers that the businesses were open as usual.

“All business have our contact information, and we are in contact on a daily basis to make this disruption is kept to a minimum,” he added.

However, Cllr Davies suggested that compensation would not completely resolve the issue.

“Losing the trade to contractors means they’ll go to other competitors. These businesses have taken years to develop and I fear for their closure,” he remarked.

“The access now at Caersalem terrace has helped but traffic will stop at the businesses there for deliveries and to collect materials. The street is far too narrow for this. The reason Caersalem was turned into a one way system was because of traffic congestion and difficulty in turning off Station Road.”

News

Business offer Welsh Government help in ‘non-essential’ shopping row

Avatar

Published

on

THIS morning (Tuesday, October 27), the Wales Retail Consortium, CBI Wales and Association of Convenience stores presented the Welsh Government joint recommendation to resolve the confusion over non-essential items.

The three industry bodies’ statement expresses the hope that the Welsh Government, ‘will agree to these recommendations and the people of Wales can refocus all their energies on respecting the Fire Break’.

The recommendations come in response to confused and confusing messaging from the Welsh Government, which allowed its public health message to be drowned out over the weekend by rows over whether toasters, Lee Childs novels, and size 16 jeans were essential items for customers. The confusion was not helped by a mistaken tweet by supermarket giant Tesco which claimed women’s period products were not essential items when they are and always have been.

The WRC, CBI Wales and ACS believe their recommendations will fulfil retail’s role in tackling the spread of the virus while allowing for discretion to be used on an individual basis – as recommended by Health Minister Vaughan Gething in a tense press conference yesterday, http://pembrokeshire-herald.com/61929/welsh-health-minister-defends-retail-restrictions/.

The business bodies recommend:

  • To limit the spread of the virus and allow for individual discretion, retailers will prominently display Welsh Government approved signage in front of known non-essential items and in communal areas. The signage will make clear the government’s regulation and the need to abide by it.
  • This message will be reinforced through in-store announcements and social media messaging. Advising customers to put off non-essential purchases
  • We recommend the individual customer is trusted to make their own decision as to whether a product is non-essential or not, taking into account the notices displayed throughout the store and their immediate needs
  • If the customer goes ahead with the purchase of the item the final liability ought to rest with the customer
  • Retailers will remove special in-store promotional displays of non-essential items in order to minimise browsing and avoid triggering a non-essential purchase.
  • These recommendations would mean non-essential items are not removed from shelves – or cordoned off in stores – but large notices are placed in front of the products and in communal spaces informing customers of the Welsh Government’s regulations and the Welsh public are trusted to make the right decision.

They also say they ‘look forward to engaging with Welsh Government again this morning and we hope consensus can be reached’.

Continue Reading

News

Llanelli Christmas Carnival goes online

Avatar

Published

on

Preparations are underway to host the first ever virtual Llanelli Christmas Carnival. 

The carnival will go digital for the first time in its 42-year history due to the Covid-19 pandemic and in line with current Welsh Government guidance and increasing concerns about the spread of coronavirus linked to large gatherings. 

Whilst there won’t be the usual street parade, people will be able to get into the festive spirit from the comfort of their own home. 

The online celebration will be hosted as an event on Discover Carmarthenshire’s Facebook page on Friday, November 13. 

Over the years, thousands of people have been involved in the Llanelli Christmas Carnival – either dressing up to enter a float in the parade, volunteering, or simply enjoying the atmosphere with generations of their families. 

They can still get involved this year by sharing photos and video to help people celebrate good memories and help others reminisce about carnivals gone by. 

There will be a broadcast of music from talented local performers who would usually sing from the main stage, and people will still be able to countdown to the switch-on of the town’s Christmas lights. 

The largest Christmas carnival in Wales, Llanelli’s festive celebrations are a joint effort by Carmarthenshire County Council, Llanelli Town Council, Llanelli Rural Council and Llanelli Round Table. 

Cllr Peter Hughes Griffiths, Carmarthenshire County Council’s Executive Board Member for Culture, Sport and Tourism, said: “It’s very unfortunate that we can’t hold Llanelli Christmas Carnival this year, but we’re determined to keep the spirit of the carnival alive. Let’s come together and celebrate one of the biggest events in Wales from the comfort of our homes – celebrate with generations of memories and look forward to a bigger and better carnival next year.” 

Sign up to attend Llanelli’s first virtual Christmas carnival – visit facebook.com/discovercarmarthenshire 

Continue Reading

News

Free Community Crime Prevention Kits to be distributed in Llanelli area

Avatar

Published

on

OVER the coming weeks, residents from both the Ty Isha and Glanymor areas in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, will receive free crime prevention kits that will aim to deter offenders and make both communities safer.

The prevention kits have been purchased through funding that was secured from the Home Office’s Safer Street Fund by Police and Crime Commissioner Dafydd Llywelyn.

The funding of £195,673 that was secured by Mr Llywelyn will go towards measures proven to cut crime, and will include employing two Community Wardens; purchase of SelectaDNA kits, Community crime prevention activity support, Environmental improvements and Community Crime Prevention kits.

SelectaDNA kits and Bike register kits are two of the Community Prevention kits that will be distributed to residents within the local communities over coming weeks.

The SelectaDNA kits are property marking kits that include a unique formula of DNA, UV tracer and microdots, which people can use to mark their valuable household items, so that if stolen, police are able to trace them. 

Similarly, the bike register kits include stickers, frame markings and microdots to uniquely identify a bike.  Users can add descriptions and photos to ensure that in the event of a theft, their bicycle can be easily identified and returned by Police through the BikeRegister Scheme.

Dafydd Llywelyn, Police and Crime Commissioner for Dyfed-Powys said, “I am delighted that both these crime prevention kits have been purchased through the Safer Streets funding that I secured earlier this year.  Hopefully, as they are distributed over the coming weeks, we will see that they will have a positive impact within the area.  Criminals know that DNA is the police’s most powerful weapon in convicting criminals therefore the DNA fear-factor is highly understood and acts as a huge deterrent.

“I have invested significantly in the area over recent years with community grants I made available in addition to the new CCTV system that is in place across the town. These new crime prevention kits that have been purchased through the new additional Safer Streets funding will further build upon my work over recent years and I hope the residents will feel a positive difference in their communities.

Both Ty Isha and Glanymor areas are considered to be two of the most deprived areas in Carmarthenshire according to the Welsh Government’s Index of Multiple Deprivation. The funding secured will focus on tackling all acquisitive crime such as burglary, vehicle theft and robbery within the identified areas.

PCC Llywelyn added, “Ensuring the security and safety of residents is a priority of mine – everyone deserves to live safely, and free from harm. Acquisitive offences are the crimes that the public are most likely to encounter, and they are estimated to cost society billions of pounds every year. There is strong evidence that these crimes can be prevented by tactics that either remove opportunities to commit crime or act as a deterrent by increasing the chances of an offender being caught. I now look forward to continue working closely with all partners that have supported us with our bid, to tackle these crimes in both areas and to ensure that they become safer environments for community residents.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK