A LLANELLI company director was found guilty of using aggressive behaviour to his customers and carrying out shoddy work this week.
Ioan Llyr Berry, director of Pearl Home Improvements, also admitted misusing quality marks when he appeared at Swansea Crown Court in a prosecution led by Carmarthenshire Council.
The court heard that a £13,500 orangery he built for one customer had to be demolished for safety reasons.
Berry, of Nightingale Court, Coedcae, was approached by three customers who wanted work carrying out in their property.
Dean Burchell paid £13,500 for him to build an orangery which now has to be demolished as it does not comply with building regulations and poses a significant risk of failure to the sewer and the property.
He also paid him over £2,000 as a deposit to construct a loft conversion which was not returned. Prior to agreeing for the works to be carried out, Mr Burchell was shown a copy of the company’s website that contained the TRUSTMARK logo. However, subsequent enquires found that the company was not a member of TRUSTMARK and therefore not permitted to use the logo.
When Mr Burchell contacted Berry over the phone to express his disappointment at the works carried out, he became verbally abusive and told the consumer ‘ you had better watch your kids’.
Consumer B also contracted with the 33-year-old to build a conservatory which was never built and printed on the contract for works was the FENSA quality logo, neither the company nor Mr Berry are registered with FENSA.
Berry carried out works for Consumer C but used aggressive behaviour on two occasions when trying to obtain payment for the said works.
In summing up the case at crown court on Friday, Judge Chris Clee QC agreed with Consumer A’s referencing of Berry being a cowboy. He said: “I can’t think of a more apt description.”
Berry was convicted of five charges under the consumer protection from unfair trading regulations 2008 – two relating to misuse of quality marks, two relating to aggressive practices and one for poor workmanship. He was given a 12-month community order to run concurrently and his business was fine £10,000 for the five offences.
A compensation order has been made for £18,597.60 for remedial costs to Consumer A.
Mr Burchell contacted The Herald to explain the impact that Berry’s poor workmanship had on his family.
“My wife Alison and myself have four sons, and with the boys growing up, we felt we wanted more space,” he told our reporter.
“An orangery seemed an ideal idea, we had a few quotes and found Ioan Berry on Facebook and asked for him to come out and quote us a price. Things seemed to be reputable with him. He claimed to use the same team constantly to do the work.”
However, as the job approached completion, the Burchells noticed problems with all aspects of the build, from the roof to the floor.
“The plasterboard had been put right up to the window so you couldn’t open it, they’re sash windows. We had people working here on midnight up until Christmas,” he added.
In spite of Berry claiming that he had completed the necessary consultations with CCC and Dwr Cymru, the build was condemned by both.
“We signed the attic first and then the orangery, I had to take a loan out for this,” Mr Burchell said. “We paid in stages up to £13,500. Trading Standards have spoken to a surveyor and this orangery has to come down, there’s no doubt on that. Even the judge in court last Friday said that we have something that’s worthless.
“This has made my entire family ill, we’ve lost money, health and had far too many sleepless nights. We never realised we were dealing with such a cowboy. If me speaking out stops Ioan doing this to another then it’s some comfort. He has to pay us compensation now over a two year period even though he claims he’s bankrupt. He even misused logos on Facebook as he wasn’t registered.”
The council’s executive board member for public protection, Cllr Phillip Hughes, said: “This man conned an innocent consumer out of thousands of pounds and duped other customers into believing they were being provided with good quality work. Our trading standards and legal team have worked tirelessly to bring this man to justice. I hope this serves as a clear message to anyone thinking of carrying out shoddy work, using aggressive behaviour or ripping off their customers – we have the power to stop you in your tracks and we will.”
Police say ‘stop protecting’ murder suspect Steve Baxter
JUST over two weeks ago Simon Clark, aged 54, was found dead at Grove Caravan Park in Pendine, Carmarthenshire.
Dyfed-Powys Police is continuing its manhunt for Steve Baxter, who is wanted on suspicion of Simon’s murder.
Baxter also known as Steve Tidy, Steve Rowley, Wayne Tidy or William Tidy, is aged 52, 5’5” (1.65cm) tall and has tattoos on his forearms – the name Chez and entwined circles on his left arm and a serpent on his right arm.
He has connections in the West Wales, South Wales, South West and North England areas of the UK.
Officers and staff are working round the clock to follow all possible lines of enquiry.
The independent charity Crimestoppers is also offering a reward of up to £5,000 for information leading to the arrest of Steve Baxter and he has been added to the Most Wanted section of their website. Information would be taken by the charity anonymously.
Detective Superintendent Huw Davies said: “It’s over two weeks since Simon Clark was murdered at Grove Caravan Park, Pendine.
“The manhunt for Steve Baxter is ongoing and I must stress to the public that officers and staff are working round the clock to investigate all possible lines of enquiry that could lead us to him.
“I urge anyone with information of Baxter’s whereabouts to come forward. If you do not want to speak to police directly, you can speak to the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously, which is also offering a reward of up to £5,000 for information leading to his arrest.
“Someone knows where he is or has been in the last two weeks. Please stop protecting him. Simon Clark’s family deserve to see all those involved in his death brought to justice.”
Four people have been charged in connection with the murder: Jeffrey Stephen Ward, aged 40, from Pendine, has been charged with murder; Linda Mary Rowley, aged 52, from Pendine, has been charged with assisting an offender (murder); Kirston Macklin, aged 52, from Newport, Gwent, has been charged with assisting an offender (murder) and Julie Louise Harris, aged 46, from Tonypandy, has been charged with assisting an offender (murder).
If you see Steve Baxter call Dyfed-Powys Police on 999. Do not approach him.
If you have any information on the whereabouts of Steve Baxter call Dyfed-Powys Police on 101 immediately.
To pass on information anonymously, contact Crimestoppers 100 per cent anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through the non-traceable anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.
Disruption to 999 calls in some parts of Carmarthenshire – mobiles unaffected
POLICE have warned residents of distruption to 999 calls in parts of Carmarthenshire.
A police spokesperson said: “We’ve been notified by BT of a distruption to the 999 service in Laugharne, Llandeilo and Llanelli.
“If your number starts with 0199442, 01558822, 01558823, 01558824, 01558825, 01554785, 01554780 or 0155477, you may be affected.
“999’s from a mobile are unaffected.
“BT aims to have it restored by around 3.25pm on 16.10.18”
Three charged with serious drug offences
THREE people have been arrested and charged with supplying heroin, crack cocaine and a psychoactive substance in Llanelli.
Jeremy Andrew Pegler, aged 40, of Great Western Crescent, has been charged with four counts of supplying heroin and one count of supplying crack cocaine. He has been remanded in custody to appear at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on October 26.
Eugene Junior Brannigan, aged 24, of HMP Oakwood, was charged with two counts of being concerned in the supply of heroin and crack cocaine and was remanded in custody to appear in Swansea Crown Court on October 26.
Daniel George Croft, aged 22, of Penrhiw Road in Morriston, was charged with possessing a psychoactive substance with intent to supply. He has been remanded in custody to appear in Swansea Crown Court on October 26.
News4 days ago
Teenage driver killed man 12 weeks after passing driving test
News4 days ago
Car ends on roof in Capel Road incident
News4 days ago
New barber bus opened
News4 days ago
Police appealing for dash cam footage after car collided with 12-year-old
News20 hours ago
Three charged with serious drug offences
News3 days ago
Police urge for only ‘essential travel’ during Storm Callum
News5 days ago
Seven vacancies on Advanced Engineering Apprenticeship Scheme
News7 days ago
Llanelli: Pupil hit by a vehicle outside Coedcae School