Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Restraining order for taxi driver following harassment of shop worker

Published

on

A TAXI driver found guilty of repeatedly making sexual gestures to a shop worker was given a three-year community order.

Stuart Phillips, of Tir Capel, Dafen, had pleaded not guilty to one charge of harassment without violence at a trial in May.

On that occasion, the court heard that Phillips had regularly entered the shop when the complainant was working alone over a two-week period, and made sexual gestures towards her by attempting to masturbate through his trousers and display his erect penis.

Phillips claimed that he must have been ‘adjusting himself’ and said that he had been carrying a screwdriver in his pocket. However, after CCTV of the incidents was shown in court, the District Judge found him guilty, ruling that his actions were ‘not those of an innocent man’.

After a report was prepared by the probation service, Phillips appeared in court for sentencing on Thursday (Jun 28).

Sian Cutter, representing the Crown Prosecution Service, requested a restraining order.

“This is a case where Phillips is being sentenced for harassment without violence in pursuing a course of conduct against a woman between March 13 and March 28,” she said.

“He visited his victim numerous times at her place of work and acted in a bad manner.”

Phillips’ solicitor Richard Morgan said that his client was likely to lose his job as a taxi driver as a result of his conviction.

District Judge Nigel Hodgkinson told Phillips that his conviction would have ‘a clear effect’ on his family life and work situation.

Phillips was sentenced to a three-year community order with the Horizon Programme, and ordered to carry out 10 days of rehabilitation activity. A restraining order was put in place banning him from contacting the complainant directly or indirectly or visiting her place of work, and he was ordered to pay compensation of £200 and costs totalling £615.

News

Llanelli ‘Banksy’: Mayor covers graffiti rat in protective plastic

Published

on

LLANELLI Mayor David Darkin believes graffiti found on charity shop wall could potentially be a Banksy.

The piece has been covered with protective plastic by the council while they determine the authenticity of the piece.

David Darkin, Mayor of Llanelli told this newspaper: “I was approached by a local artist Roz Moreton, who believes the artwork is a Banksy in an attempt to preserve the piece.

Roz who studied art in Bristol and lived in London has said she has been exposed to numerous Banksy works including his rats on Westminster Bridge, and spotted the ‘rat’ straight away.

Darkin added “She first spotted the graffiti around ten years ago, but she kept her findings to herself so that she could go back and visit the work.

“It was only after the recent news of the incident in Swansea, where part of a suspected piece of Banksy artwork was stolen, that she decided to approach me to ask for help to protect the piece”.

The art dealer who bought Banksy’s ‘Season’s Greetings’ which appeared on a garage in Port Talbot in December, has met with the mayor in Neath to view images of the artwork.

John Bradner, Essex based gallery owner, paid six figures for the Port Talbot addition, is planning on visiting the site to see the piece for himself.

Mr Darkin added “After showing John Bradner the images he is fairly confident that the piece is Banksy’s work, the fact it was spotted ten years ago ties in with ‘Banksy’s rats’ which was his theme at the time when they appeared across industrial towns.

“Mr Bradner called me yesterday and asked if there was anything else I can do to preserve the piece until he comes to view it in a few weeks to check its authenticity.”

Speaking on the piece Councillor John Jenkins said “Fingers crossed it is a Banksy, but worst-case scenario it isn’t and is still a talking point and people still come and see him.”

Speaking to Mr Darkin he said no attempts have been made yet to contact Banksy to confirm the piece as far as he is aware.

Continue Reading

News

36 charges relating to chemicals and components for making bombs

Published

on

A 33-YEAR-OLD male  is facing 36 charges relating to chemicals and components which can be used to make bombs.

He was remanded in custody at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Friday (Feb 15)

The man, from Port Talbot, was arrested in October 2017 in an operation between counter terrorism officers, South Wales Fire and Rescue and The Welsh Ambulance Service.

Detective Superintendent James Hall said no known links to terrorist offences or groups were found. The man will appear in court again at a date to be fixed.

He has also been charged with possessing a taser and manufacturing and possessing class A drugs.

Continue Reading

News

University makes formal criminal complaint

Published

on

A FORMAL criminal complaint has been by made by Swansea University, as part of the ongoing investigation into the issues surrounding the recent suspension of four members of staff.

South Wales Police said: “Dyfed-Powys Police and South Wales Police can confirm that they have received a complaint which is currently subject of consideration by both forces.”

Last November, the university’s Vice-Chancellor Prof Richard B Davies, Dean of the School of Management Prof Marc Clement, as well as two other members of staff, who have not been named, were suspended.

Prof Davies has been suspended for alleged gross negligence whilst Prof Clement was suspended for alleged gross misconduct. Both individuals have denied any wrongdoing. Registrar Andrew Rhodes confirmed at the time that this action was taken after an internal investigation.

In a statement, the university said: “Swansea University has been in regular dialogue with the authorities since November 2018 based on the findings of our initial investigation. A formal criminal complaint has been made and the matter is with South Wales Police and Dyfed Powys Police. We will of course continue to co-operate fully with them. Our processes, which are being carried out by an independent investigating manager, are ongoing.”

The investigation has looked into the academics’ involvement in both the £200m Life Science and Wellbeing Village project in Llanelli, and a £600m plan for a private medical university and hospital in Kuwait.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK