Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Support worker on a fast track to Wales Care awards

Published

on

A YOUNG man who is carving out a high-flying career in social care is in the running for a top national award.

23-year-old Stefan Jenkins, who went to St John Lloyd Catholic School in Llanelli but now lives in Kidwelly, has been shortlisted for the prestigious 2018 Wales Care Awards, which aims to reward outstanding work in the care sector.

Stefan, who knew he wanted to work in social care from the age of 15 and was inspired by his nurse mum Rita Jenkins, now hopes his success at a young age will encourage more school leavers to consider a career in the care sector.

Since completing his Diploma in Health and Social Care at Coleg Sir Gar, Stefan has worked at Ty Hendy Care Home in Hendy, near Swansea, working with young adults aged 22-25 with autism and Asperger’s syndrome for the past four years.

“While my friends at school were looking at going into public service or engineering, I was the only boy on my social care course and I did feel a little bit different,” said Stefan.

“At first, I did have some mixed emotions about it, but I stuck with it and I am so grateful that I did as I now enjoy going into work every single day. It has boosted my confidence massively and it has enabled me to deal with so many different situations.

“I hope I show that young people can really succeed in the care sector and that it offers extremely rewarding career opportunities.”

Earlier this year, when he was just 22, Stefan was promoted to Team Leader and currently manages a team of 36 care and support workers.

He has now been nominated in the category for Excellence in Learning Disabilities Services sponsored by Home Instead Senior (Silver) and All Care South Wales.

On October 19 he will attend the glittering ceremony at Cardiff City Hall.

It is set to be an extra special event as it also marks the Wales Care Awards’ 15th anniversary, and the 25th anniversary of organisers, Care Forum Wales.

Stefan, who lives with his fiancée Jessica Griffin, was put forward by Ty Hendy manager Lorraine Jackson, who said that although one of the youngest on the Ty Hendy support team, Stefan thrives in making a difference every day.

“He ensures that the people we support are treated in a person-centred way and with respect and dignity. Stefan applies himself in a way that the people we support can relate to and enhances the quality of service we offer,” Lorraine added.

Stefan believes his age means he can relate to his clients, who all reside in Ty Hendy’s supported living flats, and helps him to support them to live their young lives as best they can.

“I like to get them out as much as possible and enjoying their lives as young people. I can relate to them as a young person and I try to look at different ways to keep them active and engaged, and so reducing any negative behaviours.”

Stefan has already helped to convert one other twenty-something to the care sector as his fiancée Jessica, 24, recently left her job as a manager in a fast food restaurant to also join the Ty Hendy care team.

“Jessica started working at Ty Hendy two months ago and she is absolutely loving it!”

With their wedding planned for next April, the couple are delighted by Stefan’s nomination and the boost it has given him.

“For my age to be nominated I think is absolutely brilliant, I am a young lad and I feel I have a great future in social care ahead. It is so rewarding and so if any young people are thinking about making it their career, I would definitely say go for it!”

Mario Kreft MBE, the Chair of Care Forum Wales, said the Wales Care Awards had gone from strength to strength.

He said: “This year’s ceremony is an even more special occasion because it marks the 15th anniversary of the Wales Care Awards and the 25th anniversary of Care Forum Wales and the event is now firmly established as one of the highlights in the Welsh social care calendar.

“The aim is to recognise the unstinting and often remarkable dedication of our unsung heroes and heroines across Wales.

“The care sector is full of wonderful people because it’s not just a job it’s a vocation – these are the people who really do have the X Factor.

“If you don’t recognise the people who do the caring you will never provide the standards that people need and never recognise the value of the people who need the care in society.

“We need to do all we can to raise the profile of the care sector workforce – they deserve to be lauded and applauded.”

News

Cold temperatures likely to lead to icy conditions

Published

on

A YELLOW weather warning is in place over Wales from 10pm tonight (Jan 16) and 11am tomorrow morning (Jan 17).

As temperatures drop, there is a strong chance of ice patches causing dangerous conditions for motorists.

Icy patches developing with wintry showers also affecting some areas.

What to expect

  • Some injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces
  • Probably some ice on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths
Continue Reading

News

Police target burglary suspects in dawn raids

Published

on

SIXTEEN addresses have been raided by police in an operation responding to a spate of high-value burglaries in the south Wales area.

Officers targeted locations in Fforest-Fach, Clase, Morrison, Brynhyfryd and Bonymaen following a year of thefts in the city and Neath Port Talbot.

Operation Timmia also saw locations in Swansea citry centre targeted by South Wales Police.

Six people have been arrested and remain in custody, The Llanelli Herald has been told.

The large scale operation used the police helicopter, forensics teams, financial investigators and cash-detecting dogs.

Police seized three caravans, a cannabis cultivation, large amounts of cash and jewellery, and a number of other items believed to be linked to crimes.

Detectives said those arrested are being held on suspicion of several offences, including conspiracy to commit burglary.

They have also issued an appeal to trace a further four suspects: Daniel Casey, 27; Terrence Casey, 19; Michael Casey, 18; and Patrick Joyce, 20.

All four men have links with the travelling community and are known to travel throughout the UK, said police.

“We know the recent spates of burglaries and car thefts across the division has been of real concern in our local communities and I hope the scale of this morning’s enforcement action reassures the public that we do take the matter seriously and that we are fully committed to bringing those responsible to justice,” said Det Insp Dave Peart.

“We now have a number of individuals in custody and enquiries are ongoing to locate a number of outstanding suspects.”

As part of the raids, officers searched an industrial unit in the Fforestfach area of the city, and nine caravans on Millstream Way traveller site.

The force said the investigation follow what has been described as a “high number of burglaries and aggravated burglaries in the past year”.

In some instances, homeowners were confronted by armed gangs who either threatened or inflicted violence.

Supt Cath Larkman added: “During some of the recent burglaries we’ve seen an increasing use of, or willingness to use, violence, so today’s action was absolutely proportionate and necessary to protect the public from further criminality and potential harm.”

Continue Reading

News

Band leader sexually assaulted 14-year-old cadet

Published

on

THE LEADER of an Army cadet band turned a kitchen into a sauna and sexually assaulted a naked teenage boy.

And Philip Pryor, now 65, used a British Legion computer to download child pornography.

Pryor, of Llys y Llyfgell, Burry Port, has been jailed for two and a half years.

Swansea Crown Court heard how Pryor had been the leader of an Army cadet band in Burry Port, which attracted members from across west Wales, as well as being a branch secretary for the British Legion.

Robin Rouch, prosecuting, said the Army had a hut in Burry Port which the band used for rehearsals and some cadets slept there, as did Pryor, before a concert.

A man who was a 14-year-old cadet at the time told police how Pryor would boil pans of water and place towels around doors and windows and turn the kitchen into a sauna.

Boys were encouraged to take off their clothes, as did Pryor.

On at least three occasions he touched the boy indecently, said Mr Rouch.

The victim did not complain until many years later after he had seen a television news item about young footballers being abused and confided in a friend about what had happened to him.

He later told police that at the time Pryor, who had played in a military band while serving in the Army, had told him that because of his standing in the community there was no point in complaining as no-one would believe him.

Mr Rouch said a police investigation began and officers removed a British Legion computer used by Pryor and found he had downloaded a small number of indecent images of schoolboys.

Pryor admitted three offences of indecent assault and one of possessing child pornography.

His barrister, Frank Phillips, said Pryor was now remorseful and ashamed and had lived as a recluse since his arrest.

Judge Geraint Walters told Pryor he had been in a position of trust.

“You targeted him and abused him more than once.

“The fact that he went to the police so many years later demonstrates the long lasting effect of what you did to him. It has never left him.

“It shows the wickedness of an adult taking advantage of a youngster.

“There was some grooming here in that you allowed him to have alcohol and cigarette.

“I accept you have led a blameless life since the offending but it is not possible for me to pass a sentence that could be suspended,” he added.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK