PLANS for a new 22-home development in Drefach were given the go-ahead by Carmarthenshire County Council’s planning committee this week.
The committee heard that concerns had been raised by local residents about the development, which was adopted for housing under the 2014 Local Development Plan.
Introducing a report, Planning Officer Jonathan Thomas noted that the application had been subject to delays to allow councillors to visit the site and for the applicant to submit an impact assessment for the resident dormice.
He explained that the outline plans, for 20 4-5 bed open-market detached properties and two affordable homes, would see a new access route built from Heol Blaenhirwaun to the north, and the existing road at Bron yr Ynn would be widened and brought up to adoptable standards.
Mr Thomas acknowledged that there had been concerns from local county councillors and the community council, which centred on the potential for the new access to cause a ‘rat run’ through the estate.
Recommending the plans for approval, he noted that other objections were either covered by planning conditions or answered in the report.
However, local county councillor Aled Owen addressed the committee, noting that the site visit should have allowed them to see the infrastructure concerns inherent in adding 22 homes to an ‘unsuitable road’.
He added that there were concerns about the entrance from Heol Blaenhirwaun, which would be near the school, and suggested the road would be used as a shortcut for people travelling from Tumble to Cross Hands.
Cllr Owen also raised concerns about a lack of traffic calming measures, and noted that the new road would cause to loss of a flat green space used for seating suggesting that a different access route would alleviate some of these issues.
Cllr Eirwyn Williams asked what measures would be put in place to protect wildlife, specifically dormice, during construction. He was told that the application ahd been delayed while this matter was sorted, and seasonal controls and mitigation plans put in place Mr Thomas added that under the European Protected Species licence failure to achieve this could see the licence withdrawn.
Stating that he was ‘not happy’ with the application, Cllr Kevin Madge asked whether widening the road would have any effect on the elderly residents who currently parked there. He also suggested that flashing lights be fitted at the junction onto Heol Blaenhirwaun, and asked what the financial contribution towards local recreational areas would be.
His concerns about the new entrance were echoed by Cllr Dorian Phillips, who asked whether the existing entrance would be sufficient on its own. Cllr John James also asked whether the entrance would be too close to the school.
Highways Officer Kevin James explained that Bron yr Ynn would be widened and footpaths would be fitted on both sides.
The spaces where cars were currently parked would be turned into residents’ parking areas.
He added that there would be a speed hump on Heol Blaenhirwaun near the entrance, and the entrance itself would have good visibility.
Cllr Dot Jones suggested that the speed bumps did not prevent speeding on that particular stretch, and people even overtook in the 20mph area.
Councillors were told that moving the new entrance from its proposed position would lead to a large reduction in the size of the plot due to the gradient of the land.
10 councillors voted in favour of the application, with four voting against and three abstaining.
Police appeal following assault in Llys Glan Y Mor
POLICE in Llanelli are investigating an assault which occurred in the vicinity of St Davids Close and Llys Glan Y Mor, Llanelli sometime between 9.00pm on Saturday 10th April and 1.30am on Sunday 11th April 2021.
A 45-year-old male was taken to hospital with facial injuries.
Officers have carried out all possible lines of enquiry, and are now appealing for help from the public.
They would like to identify the people in the CCTV image, who may have information that could help the investigation.
Anyone who knows who the people are, or if you believe you are pictured, contact Dyfed-Powys Police either online at: bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Quote reference DPP/0006/11/04/2021/01/C.
Police trace burglar who left trail of oil leading to his home
A MAN was charged with burglary after leaving a trail of oil from a stolen generator leading police from a victim’s home to his own.
Dyfed-Powys Police officers were able to quickly trace Dominic William Oliver after he went on an overnight burglary spree in Burry Port in March.
The force received reports of two garage burglaries and a theft from a car overnight on Monday, March 8, with a generator, fishing rods, and two bags containing passports among the stolen items.
The combined value of the items taken was estimated to be around £800.
Sergeant Gemma Davies said: “An officer attended the victims’ homes, and was made aware of a trail of oil, which was believed to have come from the stolen generator.
“She followed it along several streets – one of which was where Oliver had stolen two bags from a car – and discovered that it ended outside a property on Dandorlan Road.
“Oliver agreed to a voluntary search being carried out, and as officers entered the property they immediately noticed a rucksack with a distinctive pattern that had been described by one of the victims.”
The search was completed, with further items suspected to have been stolen recovered from the address, and the 31-year-old was arrested on suspicion of burglary within six hours of the incidents being reported.
While being conveyed to police custody, Oliver made a significant comment linking him to the theft of the generator.
He was charged with two counts of burglary and one theft, and appeared at Swansea Crown Court for sentencing on Friday, April 30.
He was sentenced to 12 months in prison suspended for 18 months, must complete a rehabilitation requirement, and must remain at his home address between 8pm and 6am for three months.
Sgt Davies said: “This was an excellent response, which resulted in the swift arrest and charge of Oliver, and the recovery and return of stolen property to the victims the same day the offences were reported to us.
“This has no doubt had a positive impact on the residents of Burry Port, who have commented positively on how the matter was investigated.
“Community engagement, patrols and a crime prevention leaflet drop was carried out following the investigation to offer reassurance and advice.”
Further coronavirus restriction relaxations brought forward
FURTHER changes to the coronavirus restrictions have been announced by the First Minister Mark Drakeford today.
The Welsh Government has confirmed further relaxations will be brought forward from 17 May to 3 May – including the resumption of indoor supervised activities for children, indoor organised activities for up to 15 adults, such as exercise classes, and the re-opening of community centres.
This means Wales will have completed the move to Alert Level 3 by Monday 3 May.
From Saturday 24 April, the rule of 6 will allow for up to six people from six households to meet outdoors, not including children under 11 years of age or carers from those households.
The Welsh Government has also confirmed the relaxations that will take place on Monday 26 April. Outdoor attractions, including outdoor swimming pools, funfairs and theme parks, will be allowed to reopen, while outdoor hospitality can also resume, including at cafes, pubs and restaurants.
Organised outdoor activities for up to 30 people will be able to take place and weddings receptions can begin again outdoors for up to 30 people.
Wales has the lowest coronavirus rates of the UK nations. The successful vaccine programme continues with a higher proportion of people vaccinated in Wales than other nations of the UK for both first and second doses.
Changes from Monday 3 May:
- Gyms, leisure centres and fitness facilities being able to reopen;
- People will also again be able to form extended households with one other household.
Relaxations planned for 17 May will be brought forward to the 3 May, including:
- The resumption of indoor supervised activities for children;
- Indoor organised activities for up to 15 adults (such as exercise classes and swimming lessons);
- And the re-opening of community centres.
The First Minister said:
“The sacrifices we have made continue to show results. By us all working together and sticking to the rules, combined with our vaccination programme, mean we continue to make progress. Rates of the virus continue to fall and the public health situation is improving.
“Due to these efforts we are able confirm more easing of the restrictions from 26 April and for early May we are again able to bring forward some of our plans. However, this progress is dependent on all of us continuing to work together to keep Wales safe.
“At the last three-week review, I set out a forward-look of how the restrictions could continue to be lifted in the weeks ahead, if the public health situation remains stable.
“It will be for the incoming Welsh Government to confirm these arrangements at the next three-week review, which will be held on May 13 – a week after the election. It is my assessment that the hospitality sector – bars, pubs, restaurants and cafes – will be able to open indoors from May 17, together with all other tourist accommodation, indoor entertainment and attractions.”
Further possible easements are subject to the public health situation remaining favourable.