Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Teenage driver killed man 12 weeks after passing driving test

Published

on

A TEENAGE driver killed a man just 12 weeks after passing her driving test, a judge heard today (Oct 12).

Hanna Lewis, now 18, lost control on a sweeping bend and her red Audi ploughed head-on into a Rover driven by Bryan Smithers.

Mr Smithers, who was still working as an accountant at the age of 79, died at the scene from multiple injuries.

Lewis’ friend and front seat passenger, Bronwen Tinney, suffered serious back injuries and will need further treatment more than a year after the accident.

Lewis, of Dolau Gwynon, Llandovery, admitted causing death by careless driving. She was jailed for eight months, suspended for two years, and banned from driving for three years.

She must also complete 200 hours of unpaid work for the community.

Georgina Buckley, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court how Mr Smithers had been on his way home from Carmarthen Bridge Club, where he was the treasurer, at 10.15pm on August 29 last year.

Lewis went into the left hand bend, on the B4312 between Llangain and Llansteffan, at 55mph and lost control. Her car ended up on the wrong side of the road.

Immediately after the collision Lewis, then a 17-year-old schoolgirl, tried to save Mr Smithers.

The collision had been heard by Paul Norman, a retired nurse who lived nearby, who raced to the scene. But it was already too late to help Mr Smithers.

But, with the help of two passers-by, he continued to try and revive Mr Smithers until an ambulance arrived.

Miss Buckley said Lewis was tested for alcohol and drugs and the results were negative.

After her arrest, Lewis told police she had swerved to the right to try and avoid a collision.

During a second interview, the conclusions of a road traffic investigator were put to her and she refused to answer any more questions.

In a victim impact statement Mr Smithers’ widow, Margaret, said they had been together for 45 years.

“I have lost my best friend and my carer,” she added.

Mr Smithers had been an accountant all his working life and had run a successful business.

Nicholas Gedge, the barrister representing Lewis, said she had been an inexperienced driver who was not used to the road or at driving in the dark.

She was now at university, he added.

“She cannot say or do anything that would mitigate the loss to Mr Smithers’ family,” he added.

Judge Keith Thomas said human life could not be measured by a court sentence.

“You were inexperienced at driving and at driving at night.

“It has had a devastating effect on Mr Smithers’ family. He was a large part of their lives and the life of the community.

“The consequences have been catastrophic.”

News

Gigabit broadband voucher scheme boost for Wales

Published

on

THE UK’s Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme is to be given a boost in Wales thanks to a new partnership between the Welsh and UK Governments. Ministers from both Governments are now urging Welsh businesses and communities to apply for the funding to get gigabit speeds.

The announcement follows an agreement between the UK and Welsh Governments, and reflects the higher costs of deploying fibre infrastructure in Wales, as a result of the country’s topography and the location of premises.

The UK Government’s Gigabit broadband vouchers – worth up to £2500 – are currently available to small businesses and surrounding local communities to contribute to the installation costs of a gigabit-capable broadband connection.

Under the new arrangements, the Welsh Government will provide an additional £3,000 for businesses up to a certain size and an additional £300 per residential property. This means that for group* projects in Wales up to £5,500 is available per business, compared with £2,500 elsewhere in the UK. Up to £800 will now be available per residential property in Wales, compared with £500 elsewhere.

Deputy Minister for Economy Lee Waters said: “Although the vast majority of premises in Wales can now access superfast broadband, we are working hard on assisting the remaining five per cent that cannot access it and where commercial companies have no plans to reach. There is no one size fits all solution to reach the final premises, and the Gigabit Broadband Voucher scheme is an important part of a suite of measures to achieve this.

“This voucher scheme can provide a vital funding source for group connectivity projects, and could be of great benefit to communities currently without access.
I’m pleased we’ve been able to work with the UK Government to provide an enhanced scheme for Wales, taking into account the particular challenges we face here with geography and the location of premises.”

UK Minister for Digital Margot James said: “This exclusive scheme for Welsh businesses and communities is a vital part of our modern Industrial Strategy and build a Britain that is fit for the future. Working with the Welsh Government, together we can make sure that everyone in Wales has the connectivity they need for the digital age.”

The voucher scheme forms part of a package aimed at improving connectivity in Wales. The Welsh and UK Government funded £200 million Superfast Cymru programme has already taken superfast broadband speeds to more than 733,000 Welsh homes and businesses commercial companies had no plans to cover. The Welsh Government is also investing a further £22.5 million to reach an additional 26,000 premises and the UK Government is introducing a Universal Service Obligation** that will make fast broadband a legal right for every home and business in Wales by 2020.

Continue Reading

News

Rescuers attend to injured construction workers in New Dock Street

Published

on

A MULTI AGENCY rescue operation is underway in Llanelli involving all three emergency services after an incident at a construction site.

Workers have been at the New Dock Street site, working for around three years, The Herald understands.

The Herald has been told that a piece of plant malfunctioned causing the emergency, which happened earlier this evening (Mar 19).

Four fire engines and three ambulances are at the scene, our reporter said.

A specialist line rescue team is involved in the recovery operation.

An eye-witness told the press that three workers have been affected.

The source said: “Concrete had just been mixed and had been poured into a skip which was then lifted using a machine. The concrete was being lowered into the hole, it’s probably about 20ft and then the machine toppled over.”

He added: “Two men climbed out of the hole on their own and as a precaution the third man was told to stay down there. The workers were told to leave the site as a precaution.”

At least one person has been seen being taken away in an ambulance.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Llanelli: Met Bar incident investigated

Published

on

AN INCIDENT which resulted in a 51-year old man having to go hospital is being investigated by Dyfed-Powys Police.

The man has been discharged from Glangwili Hospital but police are looking in to how the incident happened and how the man fell down some steps.

The incident happened outside the Met Bar in Llanelli on Saturday night (Mar 16).

A spokeswoman for Dyfed-Powys Police told the Herald: “At approximately 10.55pm on Saturday March 16, officers responded to reports of an injured man outside The Met Bar, Station Road, Llanelli, after he’d fallen down some steps at the location.

“Ambulance was at scene, and the 51 year old man was conveyed to Glangwili Hospital with what was thought to have been a serious head injury. He was then later discharged from hospital, and the head injury was no longer believed to be serious.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact police by calling 101 and quoting DPP/3011/16/03/2019/02/C. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK