MAGISTRATES at Llanelli Law Court on Thursday (Nov 1) dealt with a 43-year-old man charged with a string of theft offences, who had also breached his suspended sentence.
Jeremy Terrance Evans of Great Western Terrace, Llanelli, pleaded guilty to the three charges and admitted the breach. All four offences occurred on October 31.
Prosecutor, Abul Hussein, said: “The defendant was made subject of a suspended sentence on Monday for theft and racially aggravated offences. Within two days, he has gone to Asda and selected a crate of Carling. He was detained by staff who found a SanDisc memory card from Boots, and he also stated he stole four cans of lager and a bucket of fried chicken from Padda Stores.”
Defence solicitor, Laura Sherwood, said: “I spoke with Evans today and he is a very cooperative and polite gentleman. Based on his record, I was expecting somebody very different.
“It appears that Evans has issues with alcohol that have progressed and got worse. There are a number of offences on his record, all of which were when he was short of funds.”
Ms Sherwood continued: “The requisition of alcohol has become a vicious cycle. He suffers with anxiety and depression and alcohol has become a crutch. Once the alcohol wears off, he finds himself back in a bad position and looks to alcohol again. It’s very unfortunate in the circumstances.”
Probation officer, Tim Jenkins, told the magistrates that within the past 12 months, Evans had been placed on three suspended sentences, all of which had ‘failed’ because he is a ‘chronic alcoholic’.
He said: “Despite that he’s a very nice gentleman, he does not have the fibre to resist stealing alcohol. Everything that can be tried has been tried. Custody would be a break from the drive and need to steal alcohol.
“It is an awful disease, and I’d say there’s 95% chance he will be back before the court in two weeks if a custodial sentence isn’t imposed.”
Magistrates sentenced Evans for a total of 10 weeks in custody. No prosecution costs were imposed, however Evans must pay £115 victim surcharge on release.
Drink driver was twice the limit
A 46-YEAR-OLD man appeared before magistrates at Llanelli Law Court on Thursday (Nov 8) to face a charge of drink driving.
Matthew Francis of Gelli Deg, Llanelli, pleaded guilty to driving his Ford Focus in Llanelli on October 19, whilst over the drink drive limit.
Prosecutor, Sharon Anderson, said: “At 10.20pm police received a call from a member of the public. They were directed to his home address and found the vehicle of the driveway with Francis in the driver seat, and the keys in the ignition.
“He had driven back from a wedding and said he had 3-4 cans. He was arrested and later said he had 6-8 cans of lager and had placed the cans in the garden. Police checked the garden but there was nothing there.
“At half past midnight, Francis completed the intoxiliser and was found to have 70mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. He was spoken to in an interview and said the van was his and nobody else was insured.”
Magistrates fined Francis £120 and ordered him to pay £30 victim surcharge and £85 prosecution costs. He was also disqualified from driving for 17 months.
Police operation to get uninsured drivers off the road
THIS week Dyfed-Powys Police along with other forces in England, Wales and Northern Ireland will be taking part in Operation Drive Insured, in a week of enhanced operations to remove uninsured drivers from UK roads and help protect road users.
Uninsured drivers are often involved in a wide range of criminal activities. Every year the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) Police Helpline records hundreds of incidents where an uninsured driver is found without a valid driving licence or using an untaxed or stolen vehicle. Records also show a number of offenders are caught driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Drivers without insurance are more dangerous than insured drivers and cause a high number of accidents. One contributing factor is because those driving with insurance are encouraged to display safer behaviour and meet road legal requirements to help keep policy costs down.
In 2017 MIB received 11,000 claims from victims of uninsured drivers, with hundreds of people who had suffered catastrophic, life-changing injuries.
MIB supports victims of uninsured and hit and run drivers by providing a last resort for claims and compensation. The annual cost to compensate victims of uninsured drivers comes to over £100 million and is funded by the motor insurance premiums of all law-abiding motorists.
Neil Drane, Head of Enforcement at MIB, said: “A driver with no valid insurance has no legal right to be on the road and removing them undoubtedly makes roads safer. The increased activity during Operation Drive Insured should get more of these drivers off our roads.”
Using data from the Motor Insurance Database (MID) – a central record of all UK motor insurance policies – police are using ANPR cameras to easily identify and stop motorists that appear to be uninsured. MIB’s police helpline supports roadside officers by investigating further and liaising with insurers to confirm whether there is valid insurance in place or not.
Any driver found without insurance during Operation Drive Insured is likely to have their vehicle seized, get six points on their licence, a £300 fine and could face court prosecution. Police also plan to carry out checks for a range of additional road traffic offences.
Simon Hills, Inspector for roads policing operations at Thames Valley Police, said: “In my experience, drivers who willingly use vehicles without insurance are often committing secondary offences. These range in seriousness from minor road traffic offences, to driving whilst disqualified and other crimes such as drug dealing and burglary. The effective enforcement of uninsured vehicles allows us to deny criminals the use of the road and prevent further offending. Operation Drive Insured is a perfect opportunity for us to target our resources.”
If a member of the public suspects a person is driving without insurance, they can report it to their local police force or anonymously to CrimeStoppers.
Llanelli’s Schaeffler plant in Bynea seems to have been decided says Labour
THE FATE of Llanelli’s Schaeffler plant in Bynea seems to have been decided, Llanelli’s local Labour representatives concluded after meeting the management of the German manufacturing firm in an early morning meeting in the town on Friday (Nov 9).
Llanelli MP Nia Griffith, Assembly Member Lee Waters and Bynea Councillor Deryk Cundy met with Senior Vice President Dr Thomas Cebulla and Greig Littlefair, Schaeffler’s UK managing director, to discuss this week’s announcement that 220 jobs were under threat at the old INA Bearings plant.
“Very concerningly, in spite of our entreaties, it seems that their minds are made up,” Nia Griffith MP said.
Ms Griffith added: “They stressed to us that the demand for the tappets being made in Llanelli has fallen, and is expected to drop drastically as the product comes to the end of its life and as demand for diesel engines reduces, and the new turbo charged product has not enjoyed the take up that had been hoped for.”
Lee Waters AM said: “The managers told us that Schaeffler is a very big global organisation with 72 factories worldwide and that the Llanelli closure is part of a global consolidation. They said it was no reflection on Llanelli workforce but a reaction to the change in demand for the product made in Bynea”
Deryk Cundy, the Councillor for the Bynea ward of Llanelli where the plant is based, said: “We told them that we will do all we can to work with the Welsh Government and Carmarthenshire Council to offer help if that would make a difference, but we were not encouraged by their response. It seems that their minds are made up.”
The Schaeffler executives stressed that Brexit was a consideration but not the decisive factor in this decision, pointing out that “we are a global business and global businesses want open borders and open trade”. They said Schaeffler had brought forward plans to consolidate their sites because of the uncertainty of the Brexit process.
Llanelli’s MP and AM have both called for the UK Government to prioritise giving business certainty in the Brexit negotiations.
News1 week ago
Humanist minister denied role at remembrance ceremony
News2 weeks ago
Police appeal over ‘suspicious’ Stepney Street man
News2 weeks ago
Man hospitalised following hit and run
News2 weeks ago
Man sentenced to life for murder
News2 weeks ago
Free parking periods in town centres as part of new pilot
News2 weeks ago
Police dealing with ‘suspicous package’ on estate
News7 days ago
Over 200 jobs at risk at Schaeffler factory
News7 days ago
Yellow weather warning issued, flooding possible this week