THE FIRST NHS Wales cancer patient to receive proton beam therapy in Wales has started treatment at the Rutherford Cancer Centre South Wales in Newport.
The Newport centre is approved by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee (WHSSC) to provide high energy proton beam therapy to adult patients, referred from the NHS in south Wales.
Professor Roger Taylor, Senior Clinical Advisor and Consultant Clinical Oncologist at the Rutherford Cancer Centre South Wales, said: “The availability of proton beam therapy at a local clinic is an important step forward in cancer care in the UK and we are pleased to be able to provide treatment for this young man.
“Whilst proton therapy is not a panacea for all types of cancer, we have seen where it can be beneficial in treating a range of tumours. Working with the NHS in Wales means that adult patients have an option to be treated closer to home.”
Jamie Powell, Centre Manager at the Rutherford Cancer Centre South Wales, said: “Providing access to the Rutherford Cancer Centres for NHS patients is something we have been working towards and we are pleased to announce this on World Cancer Day. Our centre and services in Newport are supported by NHS Wales clinical, hospital and research facilities and we look forward to continuing to provide excellent care in a high-quality and technologically advanced environment.”
The Rutherford Cancer Centre South Wales was the first clinic in the UK to provide high energy proton beam therapy and treated the first non-NHS patient with high energy proton beam therapy in the UK in April of last year.
Rupert Lowe, chairman of Proton Partners International, said: “As someone who had to travel abroad to receive proton beam therapy, I am delighted to be reporting on World Cancer Day today that the situation is changing at last in the UK.
“We were extremely proud to treat the first proton beam therapy patient in the UK last April and scores more have benefited from this treatment without having to travel abroad. We are also pleased to see the development of proton beam therapy facilities within the NHS.
“We are delighted to have been commissioned by health commissioners in Wales to treat adult NHS patients with proton beam therapy and are very proud that our first NHS patient began treatment today.
“The UK Government recently set out an ambitious 10-year plan for the NHS which includes major commitments to tackling cancer. We firmly believe that given the magnitude of the challenge, a collaborative approach among healthcare providers will achieve the best results for patients.”
Schools to remain open for now as Wales moves to ‘delay’ phase
SCHOOLS will remain open as Wales moves into the “delay” phase in containing the coronavirus, the Welsh Government has announced.
The advice will change from today (Mar 13), with people who become unwell being asked to self-isolate for seven days.
Chief medical officer Dr Frank Atherton said the trajectory of the virus was now “quite clear” and the challenge remained preparing for a significant number of cases in Wales.
Dr Atherton said: “Wales was now really in the delay phase of the virus and it would lead to some inconvenience for people not going to work or school.
“We need to reduce the demand on the health and social care system so it can prepare for peak which may be May or June.”
SCHOOLS OPEN FOR NOW
Health Minister Vaughan Gething said closing schools was not an appropriate option for now.
He told a press conference at 3.30pm Thursday (Mar 112): “Ministers have had clear advice that closing schools now is not an appropriate step to take. For now, the advice and guidance is very clear. Schools should stay open.
“To be effective measure schools would have to be closed for a significant amount of time.
“If we close schools, what impact does that have on parents? Parents could be nurses, doctors or the police. We need to keep key workers in work.
“Another point is, if parents can’t look after them then it’s likely that older members of the family or grandparents will be. Older people are the people we want to protect now and in the future.
“Furthermore, in the Easter break, lots of children will be with each other anyway. The value in closing schools is low.
“Ministers are making choices guided by the best possible evidence and scientific advice.
“Members of governments around the UK need to take a responsible approach and take steps where there is no medical advice to do so within the four nations of the UK.”
Six new cases of coronavirus have been identified in Wales, bringing the total to 25 at the time of going to press. (7pm, March 12)
785 people in Wales have been tested for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). 760 results were negative, and 25 results were positive.
Milford Haven School postponed the concert due to take place yesterday (Mar 12). The school stated on social media: “We have regrettably made the decision to cancel the scheduled Milford Haven Cluster Welsh Concert here at Milford Haven School tonight.
“The decision is owing to us taking a proactive approach to prioritising the health and safety of not only our own pupils, but also their families and the wider community. Please note, this is not due to any specific health concern within the school. We will announce rescheduling of this event in due course.”
ROBUST MEASURES IN PLACE
Dr Robin Howe, Incident Director for the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak response at Public Health Wales told The Herald that he was certain that “robust infection control measures in place.”
“The public can be assured that Wales and the whole of the UK is prepared for these types of incidents. Working with our partners in Wales and the UK, we have implemented our planned response, with robust infection control measures in place to protect the health of the public.
“We would encourage people to check the advice for returning travellers, which includes guidance for those returning from Italy, China, Thailand, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Macau, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Iran.
“Members of the public can help protect themselves and others by always carrying tissues, and using them to catch coughs or sneezes. They should bin the tissue, and to kill the germs, wash their hands with soap and water, or use a sanitiser gel. This is the best way to slow the spread of most germs, including Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
“Public Health Wales’ trained scientists are now conducting the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) diagnostic test in Wales. Over 90 per cent of the individuals who have been tested in Wales have been offered testing in their own home, making it as convenient as possible for them, as well as protecting our ambulance and hospital resources for those who need it most. We are not able to comment on individual cases for reasons of patient confidentiality.”
Official updates on the virus in Wales will now be given at 11:00 daily.
There are now 596 confirmed cases in the UK, up from 456 on Wednesday, and two more deaths, of people with underlying health conditions in London and Essex, taking the total to 10.
Wales confirms second positive case of Coronavirus (COVID-19)
THE CHIEF Medical Officer, Dr Frank Atherton, has confirmed that a second patient in Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19).
The patient is a resident in the Cardiff local authority area and has recently returned from Northern Italy, where the virus was contracted. The patient is being treated in a clinically appropriate setting.
Dr Atherton said: “I can confirm that a second patient in Wales has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19).
“All appropriate measures to provide care for the individual and to reduce the risk of transmission to others are being taken.
“I can also confirm that like the first case in Wales, this patient had travelled back to Wales from Northern Italy, where the virus was contracted.
“I’d like to take this opportunity to assure the public that Wales and the whole of the UK is well prepared for these types of incidents. Working with our partners in Wales and the UK, we have implemented our planned response, with robust infection control measures in place to protect the health of the public.”
To protect patient confidentiality, no further details regarding the individual will be released.
Do you know someone living with sight loss? Would you like to be able to guide them safely and confidently?
Guide Dogs Cymru is running a free training session for friends and
family members at the Selwyn Samuel Centre in Park Crescent, Llanelli,
on Wednesday February 12.
The two-hour interactive session is designed to give people a better
awareness of sight loss, plus tips on the correct way to support a vision
impaired person. The training is tailored to each individual’s needs and
covers the basics of sighted guiding. Attendees are given time to
practise their new skills on each other and discover how it feels to have
Karen Nicholas attended a friends and family training session while her
husband Malcolm was waiting to be matched with a guide dog. She said:
“Attendees did exercises in pairs, with one person wearing a blindfold
and the other guiding them. I never realised before how scary it was to
be unable to see and having to depend on someone else.
“You get lots of useful advice, and you are shown techniques to help you
guide in a busy or narrow space. It was also nice to meet the partners of
other vision impaired people, and try on special spectacles that simulate
different eye conditions.”
Malcolm, who is now the proud owner of guide dog Marcus, said: “I
found that Karen’s guiding skills improved and she became much more
aware. Undergoing a blindfold walk really brought home to her how it
feels to lose your sight.
“As a blind person I get mobility training, but that’s not the case for
friends and family. They need to know what to do, because we could be
giving them the wrong advice. I would encourage people to sign up for
free training from Guide Dogs Cymru.”
To book a place, or find out more, ring Steve Kersley on 07785 907728
or email email@example.com
News6 days ago
£121k watersports funding announced for Llanelli beauty spot
News2 weeks ago
Preparatory works to start at key Stepney Street Building
Politics2 weeks ago
UK not ready for Brexit
Uncategorised1 week ago
Six men arrested for kidnap in Llanelli
Farming4 days ago
Eustice turns in a useless performance
Education4 days ago
Welsh charities shortlisted for educational awards
Farming2 weeks ago
Brexit and Covid-19 dominate NFU Cymru Conference
Uncategorised5 days ago
BHF Cymru calls for stock donations before Christmas