Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Beacon Bursary competition launched

Published

on

ARE you a student and budding entrepreneur looking for support in setting up your new business?

Entries are now being taken for this year’s Beacon Bursary competition.

The prize on offer is £5,000 along with a year’s free office space in the Beacon Centre for Enterprise in Dafen, Llanelli.

The winner will also be offered mentoring support in a bid to develop their business.

Two runners-up will receive £2,000 and six months free office space and £1,000 and six months free office space respectively.

The Beacon Bursary is open to further and higher education students living or aiming to set their business up in Carmarthenshire.

The annual competition is delivered through Carmarthenshire County Council in partnership with Coleg Sir Gâr and University of Wales Trinity Saint David and forms part of the council’s commitment to developing entrepreneurship within the county.

Last year’s winner was Biscuit’s Barkery, set up by Amanda Thomas a passionate dog owner whose business proposal is to provide nutrient-rich dog treats. At the time of the competition last year, the business was very much in its start-up phase, so winning the Bursary meant that Amanda could get her business up and running.

Leader of Carmarthenshire County Council, Cllr Emlyn Dole, said: “I look forward to the launch of this competition every year as we discover some great new entrepreneurs in the county. Previous winners have said that the competition is invaluable, not only the chance to have a high-spec base such as The Beacon to grow their business, but also to provide support from a team of business mentors from the private and public sector.”

Becky Pask, Coleg Sir Gâr employability entrepreneurship coordinator said: “This bursary is a fantastic opportunity for entrepreneurial minds wanting to kick-start their business idea or develop and existing start-up.

“The support available through the bursary as well the financial backing it offers has benefited previous recipients and helped them put their passion into profit.”

Roger Maidment, Dean of the Faculty of Business and Management at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David (UWTSD) said: “UWTSD is delighted to collaborate on this initiative aimed at encouraging future entrepreneurs within Carmarthenshire. As a dual sector University, our mission is ‘Transforming Education, Transforming Lives’, developing employment focused educational programmes and contributing to our vision of transforming, shaping and developing futures by stimulating economic development in the region and across Wales and beyond. Working in collaboration on initiatives such as the Beacon Bursary Award is central to achieving this as it offers our students the opportunity to demonstrate their creative and entrepreneurial skills and develop real business ideas which have the potential to contribute to the economy of the region.”

If you would like further information or wish to apply for the Beacon Bursary please contact Rhian Richards, rrichards@carmarthenshire.gov.uk

The closing date for all submissions is May 31, 2019.

For more information please visit http://www.beacon-enterprise.co.uk/centre-for-enterprise/beacon-bursary/

News

Gigabit broadband voucher scheme boost for Wales

Published

on

THE UK’s Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme is to be given a boost in Wales thanks to a new partnership between the Welsh and UK Governments. Ministers from both Governments are now urging Welsh businesses and communities to apply for the funding to get gigabit speeds.

The announcement follows an agreement between the UK and Welsh Governments, and reflects the higher costs of deploying fibre infrastructure in Wales, as a result of the country’s topography and the location of premises.

The UK Government’s Gigabit broadband vouchers – worth up to £2500 – are currently available to small businesses and surrounding local communities to contribute to the installation costs of a gigabit-capable broadband connection.

Under the new arrangements, the Welsh Government will provide an additional £3,000 for businesses up to a certain size and an additional £300 per residential property. This means that for group* projects in Wales up to £5,500 is available per business, compared with £2,500 elsewhere in the UK. Up to £800 will now be available per residential property in Wales, compared with £500 elsewhere.

Deputy Minister for Economy Lee Waters said: “Although the vast majority of premises in Wales can now access superfast broadband, we are working hard on assisting the remaining five per cent that cannot access it and where commercial companies have no plans to reach. There is no one size fits all solution to reach the final premises, and the Gigabit Broadband Voucher scheme is an important part of a suite of measures to achieve this.

“This voucher scheme can provide a vital funding source for group connectivity projects, and could be of great benefit to communities currently without access.
I’m pleased we’ve been able to work with the UK Government to provide an enhanced scheme for Wales, taking into account the particular challenges we face here with geography and the location of premises.”

UK Minister for Digital Margot James said: “This exclusive scheme for Welsh businesses and communities is a vital part of our modern Industrial Strategy and build a Britain that is fit for the future. Working with the Welsh Government, together we can make sure that everyone in Wales has the connectivity they need for the digital age.”

The voucher scheme forms part of a package aimed at improving connectivity in Wales. The Welsh and UK Government funded £200 million Superfast Cymru programme has already taken superfast broadband speeds to more than 733,000 Welsh homes and businesses commercial companies had no plans to cover. The Welsh Government is also investing a further £22.5 million to reach an additional 26,000 premises and the UK Government is introducing a Universal Service Obligation** that will make fast broadband a legal right for every home and business in Wales by 2020.

Continue Reading

News

Rescuers attend to injured construction workers in New Dock Street

Published

on

A MULTI AGENCY rescue operation is underway in Llanelli involving all three emergency services after an incident at a construction site.

Workers have been at the New Dock Street site, working for around three years, The Herald understands.

The Herald has been told that a piece of plant malfunctioned causing the emergency, which happened earlier this evening (Mar 19).

Four fire engines and three ambulances are at the scene, our reporter said.

A specialist line rescue team is involved in the recovery operation.

An eye-witness told the press that three workers have been affected.

The source said: “Concrete had just been mixed and had been poured into a skip which was then lifted using a machine. The concrete was being lowered into the hole, it’s probably about 20ft and then the machine toppled over.”

He added: “Two men climbed out of the hole on their own and as a precaution the third man was told to stay down there. The workers were told to leave the site as a precaution.”

At least one person has been seen being taken away in an ambulance.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Llanelli: Met Bar incident investigated

Published

on

AN INCIDENT which resulted in a 51-year old man having to go hospital is being investigated by Dyfed-Powys Police.

The man has been discharged from Glangwili Hospital but police are looking in to how the incident happened and how the man fell down some steps.

The incident happened outside the Met Bar in Llanelli on Saturday night (Mar 16).

A spokeswoman for Dyfed-Powys Police told the Herald: “At approximately 10.55pm on Saturday March 16, officers responded to reports of an injured man outside The Met Bar, Station Road, Llanelli, after he’d fallen down some steps at the location.

“Ambulance was at scene, and the 51 year old man was conveyed to Glangwili Hospital with what was thought to have been a serious head injury. He was then later discharged from hospital, and the head injury was no longer believed to be serious.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact police by calling 101 and quoting DPP/3011/16/03/2019/02/C. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK