Connect with us


Llanelli too good for Gowerton




LLANELLI kept themselves in the hunt for second place in Division 1 on Saturday (Aug 3) as they beat Gowerton by 68 runs.

Llanelli won the toss and elected to bat and they made a good total of 231-8 from their 50 overs.

They lost Ioan Phillips early on as he was trapped leg before by Luke Main and Iwan Rees was bowled by Will Collinson on a score of 21.

Ryan Nicholas and Steven Devonald then shared an excellent partnership as both reached their half centuries.

Nicholas made his way to a score of 71 but he was then also trapped leg before by Matthew Mason.

Devonald also batted well for his score of 68 but he was then caught by Harry Bolland off the bowling of Collinson.

Collinson also had Ben Edwards caught by Rhodri Owens and Chris Thomas caught by Main.

Marcus Leaf made a late score of 16 before he was caught and bowled by Mason.

Photo by Darren Harries

Aled Gilley finished not out on 13 as Llanelli set Gowerton 232 to win.

Gowerton made a steady start to their reply with a score of 18 from Lee Nicholas and 29 from Matthew Mason.

Both fell lbw to Mason but Tomas Davies and David Gascoyne kept the score ticking over for the visitors.

Gascoyne made a score of 25 but he was then caught by David Richards off the bowling of Jac Rees.

Harry Bolland made a score of 17 but he was bowled by Steven Devonald.

Davies was the top scorer for his side with 47 but when he was caught by Jac Rees off the bowling of Iwan Rees, Gowerton’s hopes began to fade.

Iwan Rees had William Jenkins caught by Marcus Leaf, Rhodri Owens caught by David Richards, Christopher Mason caught by Rees and Callum Eakins caught by Ben Edwards.

All four departed for single figure scores while David Richards had Luke Main caught to bowl Gowerton out for 163.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Felinfoel win comfortably




FELINFOEL continued their unbeaten start to the season on Saturday (Oct 5) as they beat Gowerton 23-0.

In a game played in difficult conditions both sides contributed to an open match with Felinfoel finally ending up comfortable winners.

Felinfoel took an early lead with a try from left wing Jordan Dunne converted by full back Aled Roberts.

Roberts added a further two penalties before the break making the score at half time 13 – nil.

Photo by Darren Harries

The weather conditions deteriorated in the second half and it was not until the 20th minute that Felinfoel increased their lead with a further penalty from Roberts.

As Felinfoel added further pressure, live wire wing Dunne went in for his second try again well converted from wide out by Roberts.

Gowerton came close to scoring at the end, but strong defence by Felinfoel prevented them from scoring.

Felinfoel now look forward to round two of the WRU Plate competition when they entertain Skewen on Saturday (Oct 12).

Continue Reading


Cherries hold off Penygroes




Furnace United 18-9 Penygroes

FURNACE United welcomed Penygroes to Cae Castell on Saturday (Oct 5) and after two attritional battles last season this game was highly anticipated.

The field conditions were excellent even though there was a little drizzle throughout.

The game started at a frantic pace with Furnace taking the early initiative resulting in a try from second row Andrew Evans after five minutes. Daf Green slotted the conversion from out wide to make it 7-0 to the home side.

Five minutes later, from subsequent Penygroes pressure, they were able to score their first points of the game as the trusted boot of number 10 Christopher Powell slotted a penalty between the sticks.

Straight from the restart Furnace gained good field position and were awarded a penalty in front of the sticks.

Green added the three points to make it 10-3 to the home side.

Photo by Darren Harries

The rest of the first half saw Penygroes put pressure on the Furnace line but to no avail.

The first 25 minutes of the second half saw the visitors throw the kitchen sink at the Furnace line.

However, although some stern defence meant they weren’t able to cross the line, they did manage two further penalties from the boot of Powell to bring the score to 10-9.

Having defended for much of the half, Furnace looked to increase their lead and they marched up the field before Daf Green slotted a drop goal to make it 13-9 to the Cherries.

The last ten minutes saw Penygroes pressing again but without reward.

From the last play of the game, Furnace intercepted a loose pass and Centre Scott Davies galloped 60 metres down the paddock to cross and put the game to bed.

The conversion was missed but it mattered little as the Cherries earned an 18-9 victory.

On Saturday (Oct 12), both sides take a break from league action as they take part in the second round of the WRU Bowl.

Furnace are away to Cefn Cribbwr while Penygroes are at home to Abercarn.

Continue Reading


Burry Port stay in touch




Burry Port Res 3-0 Evans & Williams Res

BURRY Port Reserves kept themselves in touch with the top two as they beat Evans and Williams Reserves 3-0 on Saturday (Oct 5).

A very even first half ended with Jamie Phillips heading home from a corner to make it 1-0 to Burry Port.

In the second half the home side played much better and were on top from the start going 2-0 up through Sam Saer.

They dominated for a spell but Evans and Williams came back strong and looked as if they might get one back.

Eventually the home side got their third through Ryan Owens to seal the win and all but end any hopes Evans and Williams had of getting back into the game.

Burry Port remain level on points with the top two with all three having won four of their five games so far this season.

On Saturday (Oct 12), Evans and Williams will look to bounce back when they take on Gorseinon Reserves.

The reserves do not have a game but Burry Port’s first team are in action in the first round of the West Wales Cup as they host Cwm Albion Colts.

Continue Reading