A GROUP, created to commemorate the protection of Cefn Sidan Sands and the creation of Pembrey Country Park, has been dissolved.
Irreconcilable differences within the membership are blamed for the break up.
The group, known as SOS@50, was created when two of the original Save Our Sands (SOS) campaigners decided to work to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the historic campaign to thwart a Ministry of Defence bid to establish a gunnery range on Pembrey Peninsula.
This ran from 1969 until its successful conclusion in 1971 following a five week public enquiry. It resulted in the creation of Pembrey Country Park.
The new group was established last year, and successfully organised a 10-school, 700-pupil strong walk from Burry Port Harbour to the park.
It was a school walk from Carmarthen to Burry Port by the former Burry Port Secondary Modern School pupils that had helped energise the 1969 Save Our Sands campaign and raise funds for campaign posters.
As well as the reflective commemorative children’s walk on May 23, the newly formed SOS@50 group gave several talks to local schools and pupils, emphasising the importance of the historic events that occurred during the campaign.
The group’s events coordinator and original SOS campaigning press officer, Ron Cant, said: “Due to irreconcilable differences within the group, SOS@50 was dissolved on Tuesday August 6, on the recommendation of the majority of its members.
“This included four people, two of whom were part of the original SOS committee actively involved in the SOS campaign 50-years ago.
“Through generous fund raising events, donations and sponsorship SOS@50 has been able to produce informative pamphlets and literature, including the publication of a bilingual children’s booklet.
“This has helped to achieve the group’s principal aim of raising awareness and educating younger generations and newcomers to the area of the historic achievement and the mighty fight of the combined communities of coastal towns and villages from Kidwelly round the coast to Gower against the MoD.
“They were all involved in the battle to save Cefn Sidan Sands and its immediate environment from the ‘Big Guns’ for everyone’s enjoyment.”
The children’s booklet is being distributed to every school in the area on behalf of SOS@50.
Mr Cant said after its responsibilities had been fulfilled, all of SOS@50’s remaining funds and assets – together with any monies raised through fund-raising events that have yet to be declared and received – would be offered to another group that had a successful track record of accessing major funding from numerous sources to achieve their ambitions.
This group had also developed a good relationship with Pembrey and Burry Port Town Council which would assist in achieving the original aim of SOS@50.
That aim was to establish a suitable and appropriate commemoration, honouring the efforts of everyone involved in the original Save Our Sands campaign.
Mr Cant added: “The ‘majority’ of members of SOS@50 wish it to be known that they have disassociated themselves from any group of a similar name purporting to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the SOS campaign attempting to access public sponsorship.”
Police appeal following assault in Llys Glan Y Mor
POLICE in Llanelli are investigating an assault which occurred in the vicinity of St Davids Close and Llys Glan Y Mor, Llanelli sometime between 9.00pm on Saturday 10th April and 1.30am on Sunday 11th April 2021.
A 45-year-old male was taken to hospital with facial injuries.
Officers have carried out all possible lines of enquiry, and are now appealing for help from the public.
They would like to identify the people in the CCTV image, who may have information that could help the investigation.
Anyone who knows who the people are, or if you believe you are pictured, contact Dyfed-Powys Police either online at: bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing email@example.com, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Quote reference DPP/0006/11/04/2021/01/C.
Police trace burglar who left trail of oil leading to his home
A MAN was charged with burglary after leaving a trail of oil from a stolen generator leading police from a victim’s home to his own.
Dyfed-Powys Police officers were able to quickly trace Dominic William Oliver after he went on an overnight burglary spree in Burry Port in March.
The force received reports of two garage burglaries and a theft from a car overnight on Monday, March 8, with a generator, fishing rods, and two bags containing passports among the stolen items.
The combined value of the items taken was estimated to be around £800.
Sergeant Gemma Davies said: “An officer attended the victims’ homes, and was made aware of a trail of oil, which was believed to have come from the stolen generator.
“She followed it along several streets – one of which was where Oliver had stolen two bags from a car – and discovered that it ended outside a property on Dandorlan Road.
“Oliver agreed to a voluntary search being carried out, and as officers entered the property they immediately noticed a rucksack with a distinctive pattern that had been described by one of the victims.”
The search was completed, with further items suspected to have been stolen recovered from the address, and the 31-year-old was arrested on suspicion of burglary within six hours of the incidents being reported.
While being conveyed to police custody, Oliver made a significant comment linking him to the theft of the generator.
He was charged with two counts of burglary and one theft, and appeared at Swansea Crown Court for sentencing on Friday, April 30.
He was sentenced to 12 months in prison suspended for 18 months, must complete a rehabilitation requirement, and must remain at his home address between 8pm and 6am for three months.
Sgt Davies said: “This was an excellent response, which resulted in the swift arrest and charge of Oliver, and the recovery and return of stolen property to the victims the same day the offences were reported to us.
“This has no doubt had a positive impact on the residents of Burry Port, who have commented positively on how the matter was investigated.
“Community engagement, patrols and a crime prevention leaflet drop was carried out following the investigation to offer reassurance and advice.”
Further coronavirus restriction relaxations brought forward
FURTHER changes to the coronavirus restrictions have been announced by the First Minister Mark Drakeford today.
The Welsh Government has confirmed further relaxations will be brought forward from 17 May to 3 May – including the resumption of indoor supervised activities for children, indoor organised activities for up to 15 adults, such as exercise classes, and the re-opening of community centres.
This means Wales will have completed the move to Alert Level 3 by Monday 3 May.
From Saturday 24 April, the rule of 6 will allow for up to six people from six households to meet outdoors, not including children under 11 years of age or carers from those households.
The Welsh Government has also confirmed the relaxations that will take place on Monday 26 April. Outdoor attractions, including outdoor swimming pools, funfairs and theme parks, will be allowed to reopen, while outdoor hospitality can also resume, including at cafes, pubs and restaurants.
Organised outdoor activities for up to 30 people will be able to take place and weddings receptions can begin again outdoors for up to 30 people.
Wales has the lowest coronavirus rates of the UK nations. The successful vaccine programme continues with a higher proportion of people vaccinated in Wales than other nations of the UK for both first and second doses.
Changes from Monday 3 May:
- Gyms, leisure centres and fitness facilities being able to reopen;
- People will also again be able to form extended households with one other household.
Relaxations planned for 17 May will be brought forward to the 3 May, including:
- The resumption of indoor supervised activities for children;
- Indoor organised activities for up to 15 adults (such as exercise classes and swimming lessons);
- And the re-opening of community centres.
The First Minister said:
“The sacrifices we have made continue to show results. By us all working together and sticking to the rules, combined with our vaccination programme, mean we continue to make progress. Rates of the virus continue to fall and the public health situation is improving.
“Due to these efforts we are able confirm more easing of the restrictions from 26 April and for early May we are again able to bring forward some of our plans. However, this progress is dependent on all of us continuing to work together to keep Wales safe.
“At the last three-week review, I set out a forward-look of how the restrictions could continue to be lifted in the weeks ahead, if the public health situation remains stable.
“It will be for the incoming Welsh Government to confirm these arrangements at the next three-week review, which will be held on May 13 – a week after the election. It is my assessment that the hospitality sector – bars, pubs, restaurants and cafes – will be able to open indoors from May 17, together with all other tourist accommodation, indoor entertainment and attractions.”
Further possible easements are subject to the public health situation remaining favourable.