THE OWNERS of a family-run restaurant in Llanelli town centre have decided to call time to focus on new ventures.
Al and Tal Einon, who run Italian restaurant Altalia on the corner of Stepney Street and Market Street, will serve for the final time on Saturday, December 21.
Carmarthenshire County Council, which owns the building leased to the business, has thanked the couple for their commitment to the town over the last 18 years.
The council is currently working on proposals to transform Market Street to provide a better connection with the main town centre and Eastgate.
It was hoped Altalia would stay as an anchor tenant within the new development, and the council has worked closely with the couple over the last year to plan ahead.
However, in a personal decision, the Einons have decided to bring their time in the town centre to a close and try something new.
“We are taking this opportunity to thank all our valued customers, many of whom are now friends and always will be,” they said.
“We have thoroughly enjoyed catering for Llanelli for some 18 years. The teams we have developed over the years really have been the best at their game and the fulfilment of training them, and our daughters, into capable caterers – both front and back of house – has been the most satisfying thing of all.
“All good things must come to an end, and we look forward to a new venture in 2020.”
Carmarthenshire County Council’s regeneration team are working on plans to transform several areas of the town.
Almost £5million has been spent buying town centre properties from private ownership to renovate and offer to businesses at an affordable rent, and all but three council-owned properties in the main shopping streets of the town are currently occupied.
The team also continues to encourage private landlords and owners to make better use of town centre buildings by offering grants and loans as part of a range of incentives, including simpler planning rules to speed up the process for investors and developers.
The next phase of development will see more mixed-use retail and residential space created, a model that has already proven successful along Stepney Street.
Market Street is one of the key sites earmarked for development to encourage more footfall and flow between the town centre and Eastgate.
The council is currently working on proposals for the area, with no firm plans about the site yet in place.
Feedback from members of the public, businesses and town centre stakeholders from a series of drop-in consultation events in the town centre during 2018 will be taken into consideration.
Cllr Emlyn Dole, Leader of the Council and Executive Board Member for Regeneration, said: “We thank Al and Tal for their service to Llanelli town centre for the last 18 years. They have provided a wonderful welcome to customers and have been a huge part of the town centre as our tenants. We have worked closely with the couple to plan for their future as part of our continued regeneration of Llanelli town centre, and whilst naturally we’re disappointed that they have decided to bring their business to a close, we fully understand and accept that decision and wish them well in their new ventures.”
Lidl to build brand-new store in Llanelli
LIDL has confirmed it intends to build a brand-new store in Llanelli as part of its ongoing £1.3bn investment across Great Britain in 2021 and 2022. The announcement comes as Lidl is working with developer Arbenigol Limited who has exchanged contracts with Carmarthenshire County Council, securing the site on Trostre Retail Park.
As well as delivering Lidl’s high quality and affordable produce to even more of the community, the plans include a multi-million-pound investment and the creation of around 40 new jobs for the local economy. The new store would consist of a 1,410m² sales an in-store bakery, customer toilets, baby changing and 130 car parking spaces.
Lidl GB’s Regional Head of Property, Paul Hebblethwaite, commented: “We are delighted to confirm plans to open our second store for Llanelli and serve even more of the local community our fresh, quality, great value products. We are firmly committed to continuing to develop the local area through investment and job creation. The team are very much looking forward to confirming a date for our public consultation when we will outline our plans and get input from those who will directly benefit from the new store.”
Its ongoing success shows no signs of slowing, with the latest Kantar Worldpanel results highlighting Lidl’s increase in sales year on year and market share of 5.7%.
Thousands of steel jobs at risk as lender collapses
GREENSILL CAPITAL has this filed for administration, potentially putting at risk thousands of jobs in the UK steel industry, including jobs in Wales.
On Monday (Mar 8), lawyers for the bank, which is one of the main sources of funding for steel magnate Sanjeev Gupta’s business empire, appeared before a UK court today, the FT reported.
Unions are seeking urgent talks with steel magnate Sanjeev Gupta over the future of his operations in the UK with its main financial backer having now filed for administration in the UK.
Mr Gupta, who lives in Monmouthshire, has over the last few years acquired a string of steel and aluminium interests globally with the backing of supply chain lender Greensill, which is understood to have provided him £3bn.
According to court documents, Greensill has “fallen into severe financial distress” and can no longer pay off its debts.
As a result, US investor Apollo Global Management could now sweep in and buy up some of the firm’s businesses.
Accountants Grant Thornton said that it had been appointed as Greensill’s administrator.
In a statement, it added that in was in “continued discussion with an interested party in relation to the purchase of certain Greensill Capital assets.”
“As these discussions remain ongoing, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”, it added.
The collapse marks a rapid downfall for the firm, which counted former PM David Cameron among its advisers.
The supply chain finance specialist was thrown into disarray last week when its insurance provider refused to renew a $4.6bn contract.
Shortly thereafter, lender Credit Suisse froze $10bn of funds linked to the firm, leaving it perilously short of cash.
With Gupta’s GFG Alliance believed to be heavily exposed to the firm, the collapse could have a devastating affect on the UK steel industry.
Up to 5,000 jobs at GFG and subsidiary Liberty Steel could be at risk, with union officials set for crisis talks with the firm tomorrow.
“Sanjeev Gupta needs to tell us exactly what the administration means for Liberty’s UK businesses and how he plans to protect jobs”, union Community said in a statement.
“The future of Liberty’s strategic steel assets must be secured and we are ready to work with all stakeholders to find a solution.”
It was also reported that business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng met with Liberty Steel’s chief executive John Ferriman yesterday.
Nicknamed the “saviour of steel”, Gupta had previously snapped up a number of steel assets in the UK despite uncertainty over the future of the industry.
Liberty Steel currently owns nine steelworks sites in the UK, which employ around 3,000 people. 2,000 more staff work for engineering firms connected to the industry.
Reacting to the announcement of possible steel job losses at Liberty Steel, Newport and other sites, the Shadow Minister for Economy, Business and Infrastructure, Russell George MS, said: “This announcement, of course, will undoubtedly cause anxiety for workers and their families.
“So, first and foremost, the most important aim now is for dialogue to ensue, in a bid for a solution to be found.
“Steelworkers in Wales have a brilliant reputation for creating high-quality products and I truly hope a solution can be reached.”
But a spokesperson for the company said that the firm was currently running as normal.
“Our operations are running as normal and our core businesses continue to benefit from strong market conditions generating robust sales and cash flows”, they said.
“Our operational efficiency programme has improved profitability and we are making progress in our discussions with financial institutions that can help diversify our funding. We are keeping our employees up to date and will provide further updates as we deliver our plans.”
Mike Hill, Labour MP fo Hartlepool, where one of Liberty’s steelworks is, said: “Liberty Steel is a major employer in Hartlepool, manufacturing bespoke Pipes for use by the offshore oil and gas industry.
“The company has also been identified as a key player in the Government’s plan for a Freeport in Teesside and Hartlepool. The last thing our local economy needs in these difficult times is for the business to go under and urgent intervention from Ministers will be needed if there are any signs of that happening.”
Burry Port residents urged to pool ultrafast broadband vouchers
OPENREACH is asking people living in Burry Port to get behind a push for faster broadband.
Ultrafast, ultra-reliable full fibre broadband is within touching distance for people living in Burry Port – thanks to Openreach’s Community Fibre Partnership scheme.
The company – the UK’s largest broadband network used by customers of BT, Plusnet, Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone and Zen – is urging people living or working in Burry Port to consider pooling Gigabit broadband vouchers available from the UK and Welsh Governments to help build a new, gigabit-capable network, where fibre is run directly from the exchange all the way to each property.
Many residents have already pledged their support, but those who haven’t and don’t currently have access to a 100Mbps broadband service can check if they qualify and pledge their voucher on the Connect My Community website.
If enough people come forward to pledge, and validate their vouchers – before the scheme ends – Openreach can work with the community to build a customised, co-funded network and bring full fibre broadband to areas not included in any existing private or publicly subsidised upgrade schemes.
By working with Openreach in this way, more than 150,000 homes and businesses across the UK can already benefit from ultrafast, ultra-reliable broadband.
Connie Dixon, Openreach’s partnership director for Wales, said: “This is a really exciting opportunity for the community of Burry Port to bring full fibre infrastructure to the town but the clock is ticking.”
“Deadline for vouchers to be pledged and issued is the end of March so we need as many people as possible in Burry Port to get involved so that we get enough pledges ‘over the line’. Everyone who pledges a voucher will be doing their bit to help make Burry Port one of the best-connected places in Wales. Pledging couldn’t be simpler, but we need residents to act quickly.”
Connie added: “Thousands of homes and businesses across Wales can already upgrade to the Openreach full fibre network and local people can use our online postcode checker to see what’s now available.
“We’re investing £12 billion to build full fibre broadband to 20 million homes – and more than three million of those will be in the toughest third of the UK – but we can’t upgrade the whole country alone. This latest support from government, alongside help to remove red tape and barriers that slow down the build, is vital.”
To claim vouchers which contribute towards the cost of building the new network, residents are asked to commit to ordering a full fibre service from a provider of their choice for at least 12 months once the new network is available.
Eligible residents can qualify for up to a maximum of £3,000 while small to medium sized businesses can claim up to £7,000 under the UK Government’s Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme which has been topped up by Welsh Government funding.
Carmarthenshire County Council leader, Cllr Emlyn Dole said: “We welcome this scheme and would strongly recommend residents and businesses in Burry Port seeking ultra-fast, ultra-reliable internet speeds to register their interest now. Fast, reliable connectivity is vital to support business growth, help communities to thrive, improve health and well-being, and make it easier for people to get online and access public services. This has been particularly highlighted during the current Covid-19 pandemic.”
Full fibre technology provides more reliable, resilient and future-proof connectivity; meaning fewer faults; more predictable, consistent speeds and enough capacity to easily meet growing data demands. It’s also future-proof, which means it will serve generations to come and won’t need to be upgraded for decades.
Fibre optics – strands of glass around one-tenth the thickness of a human hair – transmit data using light signals. Fibre is smaller, lighter and more durable than copper cabling and less vulnerable to damage. This short video explains what full fibre technology is and there’s more info here.
News1 week ago
Fire Chief’s pay being formally investigated
News1 week ago
Groups of up to 100 rowdy teens moved from coastal path
News2 weeks ago
WPD plans to invest £6bn in ambitious five-year plan: calls on Llanelli customers to have their say
News1 week ago
Drakeford outlines road to normality
Politics2 days ago
Covid-19 restriction relaxations in Wales brought forward
News2 days ago
Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, dies aged 99