Connect with us


Llanelli Town march on





FOLLOWING on from their stunning midweek defeat of championship rivals Ammanford, the Reds made heavy weather of seeing off opponents who were there for the taking, failing to capitalise on innumerable chances to boost their goals for tally.

When Luke Jones fired them ahead as early as the third minute, it appeared to be a case of how many more would be accrued, but it transpired it would not be that clear cut, with a combination of desperate defending by the visitors allied with a number of glaring misses keeping the final score down to reasonable proportions.

Jones took his goal brilliantly, latching on to a free kick and making space before firing beyond keeper Asa Kirkwood, while Anton Owens might well have doubled the lead within minutes, but fired wide of the target when he met a driven cross from Richard Lewis.

Kirkwood was being kept fully occupied, blocking in quick succession efforts by Robert Thomas and Matthew Hughes, while a surging run from Lewis culminated in a shot which rebounded off the upright with the keeper beaten.

There were strong appeals for a Reds penalty following a run by Owens which took him around Kirkwood before his delivery into the middle was driven goalwards where it appeared to be handled by a Treowen defender, but referee Ben Williams waved play on.

A cross into the goalmouth by Steve Berry failed to find the head of Owens, but four minutes from the break the home side deservedly went further ahead. A fine run by Ross Jones led to a cross to the far post which Hughes met with a header, although Kirkwood got a hand to it, he couldn’t prevent it crossing the line.

Comfortably ahead going into the second half, the Reds went close again early after the restart, with Luke Jones sending his finish just the wrong side of the near post. With eight minutes gone the lead was stretched further, with Owens converting from close range after another ball from Ross Jones following some positive approach work.

The visitors had barely offered a credible threat, their best offer stemming from a ball by Chris Jones across the goalmouth which failed to pick out a colleague.

The Reds were looking to increase their advantage, with Owens narrowly failing to connect with a Lewis delivery to the far post, but just after the hour their opponents managed to reduce the deficit following a rare attack. Craig Richards in the home goal blocked from Ricky Amos, but on gathering the rebound, Amos squared the loose ball into the path of Stephen Parfitt for an easy tap-in.

Despite this unexpected setback, the home side were still well on top and could have added to their tally with Kellan Jenkins playing in Owens but his finish was off target, while Kirkwood cut out a Hughes attempt at his near post with home players in more advantageous positions in the middle.

The contest ended with another valuable three points for the hosts despite their laboured efforts in achieving them, and they travel to meet Newport Civil Service next Saturday hoping to extend their advantage at the top of the table. Kick off is at 2.30pm.


LLANELLI TOWN: Richards; Napieralla; Lewis; Berry (Bauza, 84); Evans; Bevan ©; Owens; R. Jones; L. Jones (Jenkins, 64); Thomas (John, 74); Hughes; Subs not used; Powell; Scammell.

TREOWEN STARS: Kirkwood; Parfitt ©; Dando (Thomas, 6); James; Harris; Randall; Coote; Brewer; Amos; Jones; Golding (Blake, 78); Sub not used; Evans.

REFEREE: Ben Williams (Milford Haven).

ATTENDANCE: 84. COLEG SIR GÂR’S rugby academy is enjoying another successful season with both their 15 a-side and 7’s teams excelling in recent weeks.

The 1st XV secured their place in the WRU colleges/schools elite league final with a 39–17 win over local rivals Llandovery College.

Flying wing Gethin Gibby was the star of the show scoring four tries in what was a very impressive away victory. This victory ensured the college would finish top of the league and therefore secured their place in the final which will be played at the Millennium Stadium on April 29.

Building upon this momentum, the 7s team recently won Cambrian (Llandovery College) 7’s tournament. Coleg Sir Gâr remained unbeaten all day and had impressive victories over Coleg y Cymoedd, 31-19, before a 26-19 final victory over tournament favourites Millfield. Tom Neale the Sir Gâr 7’s specialist was impressive throughout and was named player of the tournament. Sir Gar’s development

team also excelled in the tournament beating Gower College Swansea’s first team before narrowly losing to Coleg Y Cymoedd in the cup competition’s quarter final.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Scarlets’ grassroots clubs show community spirit in delivering vital food packages




Scarlets community clubs have been working together to help deliver vital food packages across the region.

Volunteers from grassroots clubs and WRU girls hubs across Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire have been helping take the food packages to vulnerable members of society who are self-isolating during the Covid-19 pandemic.

The clubs have teamed up with the Scarlets Community Foundation — the charity arm of the Scarlets — and Carmarthen-based food wholesaler Castell Howell, while Scarlets players Osian Knott, Kieran Hardy, Ryan Conbeer and Jac Morgan have also lent their hand to the operation.

More than 300 packages were due to be delivered on Monday and Tuesday (April 6 & April 7), with the initiative highlighting that even without any action on the field, rugby clubs remain at the heart of their community.
Scarlets Community Foundation manager Caroline Newman said:  “We have been overwhelmed with the support that we have received from local clubs, the number of people prepared to volunteer to help the most vulnerable in our communities has been touching.

“People’s reasons for requesting packs have often been heart-wrenching and it really has made us appreciate what we have.

“The foundation has worked closely with Castell Howell to make sure the packages are ready to go to those whose need is greatest, managing to turn things around pretty quickly and I’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in making this happen, our funder, Castell Howell, all the clubs, our helpline volunteer and the foundation members.
“Great teamwork which has made me proud to be part of the fantastic community that rugby creates.”

Here are the rugby clubs and WRU girls rugby hubs taking part in the initiative

Aberaeron, Aberystwyth, Amman Utd, Ammanford, Burry Port, Betws, Bynea, Cardigan, Cefneithin, Felinfoel, Fishguard & Goodwick, Furnace Utd, Haverfordwest, Kidwelly, Llandeilo, Llandovery, Llandybie, Llanelli Wanderers, Llangennech, Llangwm, Merched Mynydd Mawr, Milford Haven, Narberth, New Dock Stars, Newcastle Emlyn, Neyland, Penybanc, Pontyates, St Clears, Stradey Sospans, Tenby Utd, Tumble, Tycroes, Whitland, Yr Hendy.

Continue Reading


Wales v Scotland postponed




WALES’ Six Nations match at home to Scotland on Saturday has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The two other Six Nation fixtures had already been postponed and no date has been confirmed to complete the 2020 Championship.

The Welsh Rugby Union had insisted earlier on Friday the game would “go ahead as planned”.

A WRU statement read: “The Welsh Rugby Union has maintained an open dialogue with, and continued to seek advice and direction from, the National Assembly for Wales and other stakeholders, including the Six Nations, on this fast-moving issue.

“Whilst medical advice remains consistent, we have decided that it is in the best interests of supporters, players and staff to fall in line with recent measures taken across the UK and global sports industries.

“The WRU would like to thank all parties for their counsel on the subject and will make further announcements with respect to rescheduling the fixture in the coming days.

“Every effort has been made to stage this game and we appreciate that individuals will have been inconvenienced. Given the fluid and unprecedented nature of this issue a postponement became the only viable option.”

Continue Reading


Domestic football at all levels in Wales suspended




THE FOOTBALL Association of Wales has today (13 March) taken the decision to suspend domestic football at all levels in Wales with immediate effect until April  4 due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

The intention at this time will be to resume the football schedule depending on the medical advice and conditions from the relevant authorities at that time.  

The FAW is fully aware of the impact this will have on the domestic game but the health and safety of all fans, players, volunteers and stakeholders are of paramount importance. 

The FAW will continue to monitor this situation on a day-by-day basis and will continue to provide updates when appropriate. 

Continue Reading