A LLANELLI man has completed a fundraiser that most people would shy away from – a 24-hour burpee challenge which has raised over a staggering £4,000 for the Wales Air Ambulance.
Callum Williams, 20, pushed his fitness levels to the max to complete 150 burpees every hour for the first 13 hours and then 100 burpees every hour for the remainder of the challenge. He wanted to show his support after seeing the Wales Air Ambulance come to the aid of a close friend.
Callum, who hoped to raise £100 for the Charity, started the challenge at 12am on Friday, January 15, and his final burpees were at 11pmA delighted but exhausted Callum said: “I decided to do 150 burpees every hour for 24-hours to raise money for Wales Air Ambulance because it’s a charity that’s close to my heart, having known several people that have relied on it in the past.
“So many lives are saved by this charity and having seen them in action with a close friend, I was keen to do a challenge that will help raise money.”
Reflecting on why he decided to do this challenge, the window manufacturer said: “I picked this particular fundraiser because I knew going into it that it was going to be a big task. Knowing all the amazing work the Wales Air Ambulance do throughout the year, I wanted to push the boundaries.
“The challenge took me by surprise on how demanding it would be on my body. I managed to do the first 13 hours but then I had to drop the number of burpees down from 150 to 100 for the remaining time due to the impact it was having on my body.”
Callum, who is hoping to join The Royal Navy has already raised £4,085 and was supported throughout the challenge by his family and girlfriend Kirsten Field.
Callum is a member of Evolution gym in Cross Hands, where Kirsten works as a gym instructor. Kirsten completed the final hour of the challenge with Callum.
He said: “I feel very overwhelmed by the amount of money we have been able to raise during this challenge. Having originally thought I’d only raise a couple of hundred, the total is over £4,000.
“The reaction and support from my family and friends has been unbelievable, and from my girlfriend who stayed up and stuck by me from minute 1 until hour 24. I was truly grateful for them on the day for keeping me going, and forever will be!”
Mark Stevens, Wales Air Ambulance South Wales Fundraising Manager, said: “Congratulations to Callum on completing this huge and exhausting challenge. Doing a few hours of burpees is a huge undertaking for the best of us. But doing it for 24-hours is just extraordinary and shows Callum’s commitment and determination. It’s fitting that this challenge was over 24 hours as it reflects the fact that our service now operates 24/7.
“Thank you so much for fundraising for our lifesaving charity and a huge thank you to everyone who supported Callum during the challenge.”
There’s still time to show your appreciation to Callum – you can donate via his Just giving page Callum’s 24-hour burpee challenge
Lifeline for cockle-gathers could be on the way after Llangennech rail crash
Plaid Cymru MS Helen Mary Jones has raised the impact on cockle-gathers of the Llangennech derailment last year.
She received an assurance from the First Minister that the Welsh Government was looking at way to help the cockle industry.
Plaid Cymru’s Shadow Economy, Transport and Tackling Poverty Minister, Helen Mary Jones MS said:
“In the Senedd I congratulated the public services for the way they co-operated around the clean-up after the Llangennech derailment, which, so far, has been very successful. I demanded a life-line scheme to help the cockle gathers.
“I raised with the First Minister issues for two groups of businesses particularly badly affected in the short-term by the derailment.
“One of those was the very important cockle-gathering industry, the other, of course, were farmers who graze animals on those low-lying banks by the river.
“There has been a request for the Welsh Government to consider whether some interim financial support might be made available to the cockle gatherers and the grazers while responsibility for the derailment and long-term compensation becomes a possibility. Many of these are small businesses; they operate on quite low margins and currently in difficult circumstances.
“The First Minister emphasised he was aware of the impact on cockle gatherers and particularly that they were unable to carry out their normal activities while the level of environmental contaminants in the estuary were being surveyed.
“Plaid Cymru believes it must be the polluter in the end that must pay for the damage that has been caused, but the rail accident investigation branch work is not coming to a conclusion quickly.
“The Welsh Government is expecting to receive advice in the next few days whether or not it is possible to devise a scheme through the Welsh Government in which some interim assistance to those industries could be supplied.
“The Welsh Government is keen to obtain that advice from officials in case it is possible, before the rail accident investigation is completed, so they can offer some assistance to those who have been most directly affected.”
The environmental impact of the Llangennech derailment last year was amongst the most significant in Wales since the Sea Empress disaster of 25 years ago.
Monitoring of the site and surrounding area, which includes four sites of special scientific interest and a special area of conservation will continue for many years to come.
UK Budget must take crucial steps to help recovery
LLANELLI Labour representatives are urging the UK Government to take the necessary steps to begin recovery and secure prosperity across all parts of the UK.
Llanelli’s MP Nia Griffith and MS Lee Waters set out Wales’ priorities ahead of the UK Budget on Wednesday March 3 2021.
They are urging the UK Government to make a series of commitments to Wales, including:
• sustaining UK-wide business support
• delivering welfare and taxation measures to support the most vulnerable
• redressing the historical under investment in Wales on research and development and rail infrastructure
• providing an injection of funding to support the transition to Net Zero carbon emissions
• providing guarantees for Wales’ specific funding pressures
Speaking ahead of the UK Budget announcement, Nia Griffith MP reiterated her calls for continued business support for those on the lowest of incomes. She said:
“It is vital that the Job Retention Scheme and Self Employed Income Support Scheme are retained – not threatened with being removed at the eleventh hour and putting livelihoods at risk. A delay to repayments should also be introduced for the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme with recognition given to the self-employed who are facing deferred bills.”
“It is also vital that the £20 per week increase to Universal Credit is maintained and put on a permanent basis, making it available to people in receipt of legacy means-tested benefits. More than 300,000 families in Wales have benefitted from an extra £1,000 a year as a result of the uplift and removing this now would have a detrimental and long-lasting effect on thousands of households across Wales.”
Lee Waters MS said:
“The UK Government should continue to take advantage of historically low interest rates to invest in Wales’ infrastructure and public services. Particularly on rail, where we have been underfunded to the tune of billions since the start of devolution, this is the moment where Rishi Sunak can demonstrate his commitment to ‘levelling up’ all four nations of the UK.”
“This budget is a chance to hardwire a greener, fairer way of doing things into our recovery from Coronavirus. We are ambitious about our target of being Net Zero carbon by 2050, and averting the climate crisis which is increasingly affecting Wales through flooding. But to make that transition, we need a step change from the UK Government’s budget that allows us to invest in renewable energy and green jobs.”
Search for Susan Smith continues
THE search for missing Susan Smith is now in it’s third day. She was last seen on Saturday (Feb 27), walking in the Kidwelly area.
Speaking to The Herald, a police spokesperson said: “We are continuing to search for Susan Smith who has been reported missing.”
“The search is continuing today with specialist police officers making house to house enquiries in the Kidwelly, St Ishamels, Ferryside and surrounding areas.
Sergeant Fiona Phillips said: “It is important that we build a picture of Susan’s movements after she was last seen on Saturday and I would appeal to anyone who believes they may have seen her to contact police.”
Susan was last seen 1.30pm Saturday, February 27 2021, walking in the Carmarthen Bay Holiday Village, Kidwelly area. She is known to walk along the beach to St Ishmaels and Ferryside.
She is described as approximately 5ft2 inches tall, petite with shoulder length blonde hair and believed to be wearing black jeans, a black fleece type jacket and navy and grey walking boots.
Any who has seen Susan or anyone who may have information that could help the search is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police, quoting reference 285 of Saturday 27th February.
Police can be contacted either online at bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908
News1 week ago
New plans for Swansea’s Palace Theatre
News2 weeks ago
Deaths could be linked to salmonella in SFC chicken’s boneless buckets
Sport2 weeks ago
Championship round up: Cardiff hit four, Swansea hit for four
News2 weeks ago
Carmarthenshire hit with a months worth of rain in 24 hours
News1 week ago
Wife completes 50-mile running challenge to raise money for charity after husband suffers stroke
News2 weeks ago
Boat items stolen in Burry Port
News1 week ago
Covid-19 vaccination venues and timeline announced for everyone locally over 50
News4 days ago
Search for Susan Smith continues