NIA GRIFFITH, Llanelli Labour MP and Shadow Secretary of State for Wales, spoke with us at The Herald about her opposition to the plans to begin fracking under national parks and protected areas this week. Both Stephen Crabb and Simon Hart were amongst the 298 Members of Parliament who voted in favour of allowing fracking under national parks and protected areas on Wednesday (Dec 16). Hydraulic fracturing, known as “fracking”, is the process of drilling and injecting fluid into the ground at a high pressure to fracture shale rocks to releases their natural gases. In Parliament, MPs voted to allow fracking for shale gas 1,200m below national parks and other protected sites.
Although fracking could give us access to more gas and oil, while decreasing our dependency on foreign oil, the fracking process is incredibly controversial. The main concerns are that the fracking process is highly water intensive, increasing the risk of drought, and that a huge amount of chemicals are used in the process. Up to 600 chemicals are used in fracking fluid, including known carcinogens and toxins, which contaminate nearby groundwater. Hydraulic fracking does produce approximately 300,000 barrels of natural gas a day, but there are a number of environmental and health hazards involved in the process. The plans to allow fracking in protected areas reverse the promise, made in January under the Coalition Government, that fracking would be banned from such places. At the time, the then undersecretary of state for climate change, Amber Rudd, told Parliament it had been agreed that there would be “an outright ban on fracking in national parks and sites of special scientific interest.” Lisa Nandy, the current shadow energy and climate secretary, said that the government were using “a parliamentary back door to put through these weak regulations without a proper debate” and said that they were going against their word that there would be “tougher safeguards” on fracking until it was proven safe.
While 298 MPs voted in favour of the regulations, 261 MPS voted against them, including Nia Griffith and Plaid Cymru MP for Carmarthen East and Dinefwr, Jonathan Edwards. We at The Herald spoke to Ms Griffith about her vote against fracking under protected areas and she said: “I am strongly opposed to the government’s proposed weakening of fracking regulations and l voted against it yesterday (Dec 16). “The hypocrisy of David Cameron mouthing fine words at the Climate Change summit and then coming back to push the fracking regulations through, whilst slashing subsidies to renewables is appalling. “I look forward to decisions on fracking being devolved to the Welsh Government in the forthcoming Wales Bill, which should give us the opportunity to protect our National Parks and other areas of beauty here in Wales.” Explaining in more detail, she added: “Earlier this year, although we do not have the numbers to defeat the Government, Labour did manage to secure a series of amendments to the Infrastructure Bill that put in place a series of environmental safeguards which had to be met before shale gas drilling could go ahead. This included a ban of fracking in areas where drinking water is collected and protected sensitive areas such as our national parks or important wildlife sites.
“However, just weeks after agreeing to these amendments, the government did a complete U-turn in the Lords sneaking through a weakened version of Labour’s protections. In the Commons we tried to reinstate our more stringent safeguards. However the Tories used parliamentary procedures to ensure that the debate overran so MPs were denied the opportunity to reverse those changes. “On Tuesday, October 26 the government once again pushed through these weakened fracking regulations through a parliamentary backdoor (ie. a legislative committee) with no opportunity for the majority of MPs to debate them – just the vote yesterday (Dec 16). “Now these weakened fracking regulations have been passed, shale gas drilling will be allowed in drinking water protection zones, important wildlife sites, as well as under the ground below protected areas such as national parks, areas of outstanding national beauty and world heritage sites. “We as Labour MPs believe Britain must pursue a socially-just energy policy that considers the impact on the environment and climate change, as well the need for a secure, affordable energy. The Government must listen to people’s worries and not railroad through changes to the legislation which may have damaging and long lasting effects on our natural environment.” We contacted both Stephen Crabb and Simon Hart regarding their vote in favour of fracking under protected areas, but neither of them replied before the Herald went to print.
Council announces overnight roadworks
MOTORISTS face further inconvenience owing to a series of planned night-time closures in Llanelli whilst essential road improvement works are carried out later this month.
Hard-pressed motorists, including Llanelli’s AM Lee Waters (see his column in this newspaper), already experience long delays using routes into and out of the town.
To reduce the level of inconvenience, Carmarthenshire County Council has programmed road surfacing works to take place during the night over the next month at Parc Trostre, Sandy Road, Pembrey Road and Queen Victoria Road, Llanelli, to avoid the busiest periods. Diversions will be in place.
A section of B4304 Parc Trostre Roundabout near ATS will be closed from Wednesday, October 30 between 7 pm and 6 am for up to four nights.
A section of Sandy Road, between its junction with Denham Avenue to the entrance to Coleg Sir Gâr, will be closed between 7 pm and 6 am on November 11-22 for up to nine nights.
A section of Pembrey Road, from its junction of Chapman Street to New Road, will be closed between 7 pm and 6 am on November 3 and 12 for up to nine nights.
Part of Queen Victoria Road and the Murray St crossroads will also be subject to night-time closure between 7 pm and 6 am on November 10 and 15 for up to five nights.
Since April the council has resurfaced 22 sections of road as part of a £2.5million investment in Carmarthenshire roads.
The sections of road being resurfaced have been identified as a priority based on road condition, usage and strategic importance.
Comprehensive traffic management will be in place whilst the works are being carried out and all schemes will be published in advance with full details available on roadworks.org.
The council said the works are unavoidable and have thanked members of the public in advance for their cooperation.
The council’s executive board member for transport, Cllr Hazel Evans said: “This is a significant amount of money that we have secured to improve our roads in the county. All roadworks will be publicised in advance so motorists can plan journeys to avoid the area and take an alternative route. We will minimise as far as possible the impact on road users by careful planning, however, some disruption cannot be avoided, so please bear with us. We thank everyone in advance for their cooperation and patience.”
These dates may vary due to unforeseen conditions or adverse weather. People are being advised to check https://one.network for further updates.
UK’s top skaters and riders drop in on Llanelli youngsters to celebrate a special birthday
THE WORLD’S and the UK’s finest skateboarders, BMX and Wheelchair Motocross stars will drop in on young people at a Carmarthenshire Ramps skatepark on Saturday 19 October 2019 from 11 am till 2 pm.
The event was arranged to celebrate the £3 billion National Lottery players have raised for projects which have specifically helped children and young people develop and thrive in the UK over the last 25 years.
£2 million of National Lottery funding has specifically been awarded to support and develop over 47 BMX projects in local communities for young people in Wales to enjoy.
Wales and Pembrokeshire’s own wheelchair sports superstar, Lily Rice; the Olympic BMX freestyler from Swansea, James Jones; Britain’s leading street skateboarder and 2020 Olympic hopeful, Alex Decunha; and YouTube influencer, Jake O’Neill (aka Jake100), visite hundreds of youngsters at Ramps indoor and outdoor skatepark in Llanelli as part of the National Lottery’s celebrations.
More than £340,000 was awarded by the National Lottery in 2013 to develop and build Ramps Skatepark which now provides activities for over 15,000 young people a year.
At 15 years old, Lily Rice from Manorbier, Pembrokeshire, is a World Champion wheelchair motocross (WCMX) star. She was propelled to fame two years ago when she became the first female in Europe to achieve a wheelchair backflip, and only the second girl in the world to pull off the stunt. Since then, Lily has emerged as one of the global leaders of WCMX – wheelchair motocross.
She says: “By contributing towards building amazing facilities such as this indoor and outdoor skate park, National Lottery funding is helping thousands of young people of all abilities to reach their goals and discover new opportunities.
I have trained and practised at numerous National Lottery funded skate parks and there is no doubt that the funding has helped wheeled sports, enthusiasts, to become healthier and more active.”
The National Lottery has inspired millions of people to get active in their local community, as well as supporting individuals and teams from grassroots to elite.
James Jones is a 25-year-old professional BMX rider from Swansea. James, who also celebrated his 25th Birthday this year, is one of six world-class athletes who make up the Freestyle BMX Team GB for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. James honed his skills and practised his tricks at the Ramps skate park in Llanelli when he was growing up and highlights the importance of young people having access to facilities like this on their doorstep.
James Jones said: “I practised a lot here growing up and this facility has played a big part in my development as a professional rider and a person. I probably wouldn’t be where I am now without the support I got here. It’s not just about learning to ride or skate, there’s a real family vibe here, a great social aspect and it’s well supported by the community.
The National Lottery must fund parks such as this one so that young people can have a safe space to pursue their hobbies and meet friends.”
First year anniversary for Transport for Wales
TODAY, Transport for Wales reaches its first- year anniversary since taking responsibility for rail services across Wales and the Borders, which marked the beginning of their £5 billion investment programme.
Over the past twelve months, TfW have put the customer at the heart of their decisions and as a thank you to them, they’re offering 20% off advance tickets bought between 14 and 20 October for travel up until 26 November.
Some of the key highlights over the year include the creation of the advanced fare initiative, making it cheaper for journeys over 50 miles; delay repay 15 was launched so that customers can claim for delays of 15 minutes or more and the implementation of new performance measures designed to provide a more reliable and punctual service.
TfW also began their £194 million plan to improve every railway station across their network and committed to spend more than £600,000 a year on Community Rail Partnerships, creating community ambassador roles, that will be responsible for promoting regional tourism and local economic growth.
Embedded video on YouTube
James Price, Transport for Wales CEO said;
“It has been an exciting and challenging first year and we are proud to have started transforming the rail service for the people of Wales through delivering on our promises.
“We are implementing some ambitious programmes that will help us to improve the customer experience. Work has started on our railway stations; modernising them, making them safer and more accessible for local businesses and communities. We successfully reintroduced regular passenger services along the Halton Curve, providing 215 new services per week and connecting Wrexham with Liverpool by rail for the first time in 40 years.
“We have introduced additional trains to our network and our December timetable change will bring further increases in capacity across our busiest routes.
“Behind the scenes, there has been detailed planning and preparation work going on for the delivery of Metro services across Wales, the introduction of brand-new trains and the vision to create a fully integrated transport network.
“As well as our customers, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all our staff for their dedication over the year and also thank the partners and businesses that we’ve worked with.”
Ken Skates, Minister for Economy and Transport, said:
“One year into our ambitious journey of rail improvement I believe it is important to recognise the progress that has been made. There have been the start of new services and new advanced fares and we will soon see extra capacity being added to some of our busiest lines. We’ve also outlined an ambitious £194m package of investment to improve every station in Wales.
“It’s clear that there are significant challenges and this journey will take time, but we have ambitious plans to transform transport across Wales to deliver a fully integrated network, with customers at the heart of everything. We have outlined a vision for a transformed railway across Wales – including the development of Metro systems – and Transport for Wales will continue to have an essential role to play in helping to deliver this.”
News2 weeks ago
All change at recycling centres
News1 week ago
Erw Las application has City Deal link
Sport1 week ago
Felinfoel win comfortably
News1 week ago
Homes in Carmarthenshire can get free boilers and insulation
News1 week ago
New bus stop after long wait
News1 week ago
The French invade Kidwelly again
News1 week ago
Local schoolgirls inspired in STEM
News1 week ago
Carbon Free plans for Llanelli Conservatives