Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Assets confiscated from burglars

Avatar

Published

on

William and Edward Connors : Assets removed

William and Edward Connors : Assets removed

THE ASSETS of two Irish burglars who stole from properties across west Wales in December 2013 while pretending to be on holiday were confiscated after a hearing in Swansea Crown Court. Brothers William and Edward Connors were originally sentenced for conspiring to commit 23 burglaries as far apart as Llanelli, Aberaeron and Haverfordwest in July 2014. The elder sibling, William, was jailed for six years, while Edward was sentenced to three and a half years. It is claimed that the siblings, aged 25 and 19, made over £25,000 from their crime spree, but now have only a small percentage of that left.

William was said to have £547.70 to his name, while Edward, who was released on license earlier this year had assets including two cars and a caravan, which were valued at £6,203.56. A confiscation order for this amount was granted, and the cars and caravan will be auctioned off, with half the money being returned to Edward’s wife. What is left will be combined with William’s money and returned to victims of the burglaries. The court heard that Edward’s whereabouts was not known, because he had no fixed address. Mitigating, James Hartson said that this was ‘surprising’ given that he had been released on license.

Dyfed Powys Police were given four months to auction the cars by Judge Paul Thomas. The brothers were originally arrested after officers from Dyfed Powys Police conducted an investigation into an unusual increase in dwelling burglaries between December 12 2013 and January 10 2014. During the investigation detectives identified that a car travelling on false number plates could be attributed to a number of the incidents and as such sought to trace the vehicle. This led to a significant police operation in the Tregaron area of Ceredigion on January 8. At the time of their sentencing, Detective Chief Inspector Andy Williams said: “The direct invasion of people’s homes leaves victims with an immeasurable sense of vulnerability that they will have to live with day to day. “The sentences today should act as a clear deterrent to any persons who consider committing such offences in our area. “We will always dedicate the necessary resources in order to bring those responsible to justice.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Further childcare hub opening in Llanelli

Avatar

Published

on

AN additional childcare hub has opened in Llanelli this week (w/c Monday, May 25) due to increasing demand to provide care for children of critical workers and vulnerable children.

It will be located at Ysgol Ffwrnes in Llanelli and follows the opening of an extra three hubs at Bryn Primary School in Llanelli, Model Primary School in Carmarthen and Ysgol Tycroes.

It is important that numbers are kept low at the hubs to ensure the health and safety of both the children and staff.

Parents are being reminded to keep their children at home where possible to help contain the spread of coronavirus (Covid-19). However, if you are a critical worker, and your child cannot stay at home, then your childcare will be prioritised.

Parents should only apply for childcare to cover their working hours; and are also being reminded to please cancel as soon as possible if they no longer need the provision.

Please note the timetable for applications to the childcare hubs has also changed, and that applications now close at 5pm on the Wednesday of the week before.

Unfortunately, we will no longer be able to consider any applications made after deadline. Due to the significant increase in demand for places at our hubs we must make sure they are staffed sufficiently. The health and safety of both staff and pupils is vital and has to be our main priority.

Continue Reading

News

How Wales created 19 new field hospitals in less than 8 weeks…

Avatar

Published

on

Across Wales the Welsh Government is supporting the NHS to create new field hospitals and rapidly increase bed capacity.
Health boards have repurposed existing buildings, including the Principality Stadium, a holiday park and even a television studio to provide an additional 6,000 beds.Field hospitals are designed to support the NHS during the coronavirus pandemic by providing extra bed capacity but they will also help normal hospital services be restarted and support social care services.Last month, the first patients were admitted to Ysbyty Calon y Ddraig at the Principality Stadium, in Cardiff.

Four to six weeks

Here is how Wales almost doubled its bed capacity in less than eight weeks…The time it has taken to nearly double hospital bed capacity in Wales, creating field hospitals across the nation.

19 field hospitals in Wales
This includes the repurposing of Bluestone Holiday Park and Parc y Scarlets in west Wales and Venue Cymru in north Wales.

1,500 beds at the Ysbyty Calon y Ddraig
Making it one of the largest field hospitals in the UK.

Five days
The length of time it took to plan Ysbyty Calon y Ddraig, which overlapped with the build phase.

3,000
The number of planning hours, involving more than 20 different disciplines, it took to plan Ysbyty Calon y Ddraig.

£166m
Welsh Government funding for the set up, construction and equipment for field hospitals in Wales.

138,000
The number of pieces of equipment have been provided to help support field hospitals, including beds, imaging equipment, syringe drivers and medicines.

Three North Wales field hospitals have the name Enfys
Meaning rainbow – the symbol of hope and thank you to the NHS during the pandemic.
Continue Reading

News

7-year-old Mattie from Pembrey takes on home Pen y Fan-tastic challenge for Action for Children

Avatar

Published

on

Plucky Mattie Denman will climb the equivalent of Pen y Fan in the drive at her family home in Pembrey on Friday 22nd May to raise funds for Action for Children.

Mattie (7), has always wanted to climb the highest mountain in South Wales and is unable to currently because of the coronavirus pandemic.  As the family exercise at home every day, she decided she wanted to do the 6-mile equivalent journey there while she waits for the chance to do it for real.  Mattie chose Action for Children as her mother, Sian, works for the charity in Carmarthenshire.

Mattie said: ‘My Mammy works for Action for Children and I want to help as well because lots of families need help.  My older brother and sister help Action for Children, so I asked Mammy if I could do something. We exercise everyday walking up and down the drive and I have always wanted to climb Pen y Fan, but we have never done it.

‘Mammy said I could pretend I am walking it and people will give money to the charity. I said brilliant, that is what I am going to do and I am super excited to do it. I will use mammy’s step counter and I hope I can help children that need support especially because it is so hard for some families because of coronavirus.’

Proud mum and family support practitioner for Action for Children, Sian, added: ‘Mattie has a lovely heart and really wanted to do something and I’m very proud she chose Pen y Fan as her home challenge.  Action for Children has been going the extra mile during the coronavirus pandemic continuing to support vulnerable families through phone and video sessions as well as food and help with the basics from our Emergency Appeal Fund. 

‘It is a tremendously challenging time for our families and every bit of money will directly help those in our communities who need it most.  I hope as many people as possible will donate to Mattie’s brilliant fundraising effort, it’ll make it even more special when we finally get to climb Pen y Fan for real.’

If you want to support Mattie’s Pen y Fan challenge please go to: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mattiesclimb

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK