Connect with us


Conbeer’s stunning try draws O’Driscoll comparisons



Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 10.04.40

Ryan Conbeer: Drawing comparisons with Brian O’Driscoll

A SENSATIONAL solo try from Scarlets Under 18’s winger Ryan Conbeer has drawn comparisons to rugby legend Brian O’Driscoll’s score in the first Lions test against Australia in 2001, after it was shared online via social media.

The 16-year-old ran the length of the field and through an outrageous sidestep at blistering pace to send the covering fullback the wrong way, in almost identical fashion to O’Driscoll, who throughout a glittering career sent many an opponent the wrong way with his trademark step. As well as drawing high praise from supporters and users of social media it has also drawn the attention of Welsh legend Jonathan Davies who labelled it a ‘great try’ whilst O’Driscoll himself got in on the conversation, dismissing the comparisons by suggesting the Tenby wingers score was better than his own with the quip, ‘only 40 metres longer’.

Former Greenhill School pupil Conbeer is widely regarded as a star of the future after some sensational performances for both his club and country, and the rapid winger was a winner of The Pembrokeshire Herald Young Sporting Champion award in association with Dragon LNG in 2015. After playing in the Wellington Festival in a trial game for Wales Under 16’s, a regular blogger on the BBC ScrumV rugby forum posted a glowing reference for the Tenby youngster, describing Ryan as having ‘pace to burn’, going on to say that he ‘tackled well and took a brilliant try by using fancy footwork and going outside his opposite number. Really impressed – look out for the name’.

Ryan started out playing for Tenby U10’s and quickly progressed to the U11’s District team that toured Barcelona, under the watchful eye of coach Kenny Davies. From here he made his way into the Dyfed U11’s team before earning his first cap for the U11’s West Wales side. With such a strong CV by the age of 11, Ryan decided to make the move to Narberth to play his club rugby for the Under 12’s and continued to impress for the Scarlets feeder club. After, representing the district he was subsequently picked up by the region. At the age of 14 he was picked to play for the Scarlets U16’s side, which was testament to his raw ability. Now 16, he has played for the Scarlets U16’s West side, coached by Barry John and Jonny Llewellyn-Evans.

Ryan has gone on to gain his first Welsh cap, in a game versus England, and made many more appearances since. Having now earned an academy contract with the Scarlets he recently moved to study at Coleg Sir Gar. He hopes his commitment will help him to become a professional player and that one day he will realise his dream and gain a cap for the full international side.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Foel’s Championship dream halted



FELINFOEL’s hopes of promotion to the WRU Championship were brought to an end on Sunday (May 12) as they were beaten in the play-offs by Ystalyfera.

Ystalyfera had won the first leg 34-28 on their home soil but Felinfoel were still very much in the tie and they had the backing of an 800-strong home crowd in the reverse fixture. Fans packed in to the ground and they witnessed an epic encounter.

Felinfoel held the lead at one time but their opponents hit back to seal a 20-30 win to win overall by 64 points to 48.

Felinfoel played some attractive rugby during the first half with wingers Eray Wilson and Elliot Dawe scoring tries wide out one of which was converted by Aled Roberts. Ystalyfera scored a penalty and a converted try making the half time score 12 points to 10.

Photos by Darren Harries

The second half opened brightly for Felinfoel with Roberts kicking a penalty and Wilson scoring a further try. With the score at 20 points to 10, matters were looking favourable for the home team.

It was at this stage that the Ystalyfera forwards took complete control of the match denying Felinfoel of any possession for the final 20mins of the match. With a strong scrummage and dynamic driving maul they continued to exert pressure onto the home team.

Ystalyfera were rewarded with a further two converted tries, penalty goal and drop goal and deserved their victory 20 points to 30, and promotion to the championship.

Both teams are to be congratulated in the way in which the game was played. Both sides gave their all and provided an entertaining encounter.

Both sets of supporters gave loud vocal support to each team and were sporting throughout the match.

At the end of the match Felinfoel coach Mike King who is leaving after two years in charge was given a rousing send off by players and supporters alike.

After the game Felinfoel took to twitter saying: “After another successful season, it’s time to say thank you. Thank you to all sponsors for supporting the club throughout the season once again. Without you we would not exist. Thank you to all the supporters who have been with us through thick and thin.

“Lastly, thank you to head coach Mike King who will be leaving us. He has set the foundations of the club and has turned this club around for the better. All at Felinfoel RFC can’t thank you enough. We wish you all the best in the future.”

Continue Reading


Morgan marches seconds home



DAFEN Seconds earned the bragging rights over Llanelli Seconds on Saturday (May 11) as they cruised to an eight wicket win.

Dafen won the toss but elected to field and that looked to be a good decision as they bowled their opponents out for just 118 inside 22 overs.

Aadil Mukhtar finished with excellent figures of 5-21 while Oliver Evans supported well taking four wickets for the loss of 40 runs.

Needing just thirty overs of their reply, Dafen Seconds eased to victory as Jac Morgan finished not out on 64 to see his side over the line.

Photo by Darren Harries

The win for Dafen keeps them joint top of the table with Briton Ferry Town after two games while Llanelli sit bottom of Division 3 and are still searching for their first win.

On Saturday (May 18), Dafen Seconds are at home against Dyffryn while Llanelli Seconds are away to Neath thirds.

Continue Reading


Jones duo sink Bronwydd



LLANGENNECH earned their first win of the season on Saturday (May 11) as they beat Bronwydd by 14 runs in a low scoring game.

Llangennech won the toss and elected to bat but they lost Chris Hickey early on when he was caught by Jacob Jenkinson off the bowling of Colin Tucker.

Matthew Jones scored 11 before he was caught and bowled by Tucker before David Williams was caught by Tom Gleeson off the bowling of Matthew Vaughan for a score of 14.

James Taube made the same score but was then caught by Phillip Howell off the bowling of Dafydd Morgan. Morgan also bowled Martin Gregory to leave Llangennech on 83-5.

Opener Scott Lloyd’s score of 30 had come off 127 balls and he was eventually caught by Vaughan off the bowling of Callum Collins-Davies.

Richard Clement was the third Llangennech batsman to make a score of 14 before getting out as he was caught by Jenkinson off the bowling of Gleeson.

Michael Jones was then run out before Gleeson claimed his second wicket as he had Simon Clement caught by Oliver Furneaux.

Vaughan then wrapped up the innings as he had Bav Patel caught by James Cale to leave Llangennech all out on 124. Photo by Darren Harries

Bronwydd’s opening pair of James Cale and Philip Howell shared 15 runs but Howell was out for a score of 8 to the bowling of Michael Jones.

Oliver Furneaux was next to fall when he was trapped leg before by Matthew Jones on a score of 11.

Chris Hickey then gave Owain Phillips his first wicket as he caught Jacob Jenkinson and the bowler then claimed his second as he had Cale caught by David Williams on a score of 17.

That left Bronwydd on 44-4 but Iwan Davies and Dafydd Morgan shared 40 runs for the fifth wicket to keep their side in the game.

Davies hit three fours and a six in his knock of 33 but he was then trapped leg before by Michael Jones. He then also bowled Callum Collins-Davies for a duck to reduce Bronwydd to 84-6.

Matthew Jones then had Dafydd Morgan caught on a score of 8 before then trapping Tom Gleeson leg before.

Hickey then took two more catches of Matthew Vaughan and Colin Tucker to give Matthew Jones his five-wicket haul and Bronwydd were all out for 110.

Gareth John had finished not out on 18 but it wasn’t enough for victory for the visitors.

Continue Reading