Connect with us


Four wins on the bounce for Llanelli



Rare attack: Quins breakthrough the Llanelli midfield (Pic. Simon Rice)

Rare attack: Quins breakthrough the Llanelli midfield (Pic. Simon Rice)

Carmarthen Quins 14

Llanelli 40

LLANELLI recorded their fourth win on the bounce at the expense of a Carmarthen Quins side that are in free-fall having now lost five successive games, meaning they haven’t picked up a league win since they beat Bridgend back in November.

Llanelli were rampant in their demolition of their hosts at Carmarthen Park running in five tries in an emphatic bonus point win, but the hosts will be concerned with how easy they were to breach, though they will also take comfort in the fact that Llanelli have demolished other sides in recent weeks, with this game bringing up their 192nd point in four games.

The Quins took an early lead when the languid Craig Evans crossed for an early eight points as he converted his own score, but the lead was short-lived as Llanelli enjoyed a ten minute purple patch which saw them cross the whitewash three times, amassing a colossal 24 points.

Prop Rhys Thomas, wing Ashley Evans and Fly-half Josh Lewis, who was making his debut for the visitors were the men who grabbed the tries.

The impressive debutant also notched five conversions on top of another try in the second half to take his personal tally to 22 making it a real debut to remember.

Replacement Nathan Hart also got on the scoresheet to round off the day for the visitors, who rose to seventh in the table, and have now recorded six victories in a row in all competitions.

The Quins started brightly and it took only four minutes for Evans to cross after spotting a gap and dropping down a gear to accelerate home over the line, converting his own try from to the right of the uprights.

Under five minutes later though and Llanelli were almost level as they started to move through the gears. Tom Price broke away before releasing former Wales U20 international Ashley Evans, who has recently made the move to Parc y Scarlets from near rivals Neath, who romped to the corner only to be denied by a fine covering tackle by Lee Williams.

It was a warning to the Quins, but they did not head it, and moments later the visitors did get their try as prop Thomas rumbled over, providing Lewis with his first two points of the afternoon.

They were in front for the first time in the game with the 20 minute mark approaching as Evans finally crossed the line after some probing runs, Lewis again notched the extras.

The purple patch was complete when they added a third try from Lewis himself, ensuring that they went in at the interval with a 24-6 lead.

The Quins will have been hoping to emerge for the second half a revitalised sides after some stern words in the dressing room, but they rather limped out and after 10 minutes of play the victory and bonus point was secured for Llanelli as Lewis took advantage of the Quins abysmal defending to glide over almost untouched making the score 32-8.

Carmarthen did show some character with a brief show of spirit and determination, but flanker Andrew Green’s unconverted try wasn’t enough to spark a comeback, and with 72 minutes played Hart romped home to conclude a thumping win and a good day at the office for the visitors from Llanelli.


Carmarthen Quins:

15 Lee Williams 14 Gavin Thomas 13 Dylan Wyn Morgans 12 Morgan Griffiths 11 Dale Ford 10 Craig Evans 9 Connor Lloyd: 8 Lee Taylor 7 Andrew Green 6 Haydn Pugh 5 Josh Helps 4 Ben Thompson 3 Ian Jones 2 Rhodri Brendan Clancy 1 Nathan Williams


16 Steffan Phillips 17 Rhydian Jenkins 18 William Rhys Taylor 19 Jonathan Gardiner 20 Elis Huw Lloyd 21 Kieran Hardy 22 Iolo Wyn Evans 23 Kieran Douglas Jones


15 Gareth Walters 14 Ashley Evans 13 Nathan Edwards 12 Jonny Lewis 11 Mike Tagicakibau 10 Josh Lewis 9 Josh Guy 8 Trystan Lloyd 7 Owain Morgan 6 Jack Jones 5 Tom Price 4 Adam Powell 3 Jack Payne 2 Torin Myhill 1 Rhys Thomas


16 Rhys Fawcett 17 Taylor Davies 18 Tom Kaijaks 19 Chris Long 20 Nathan Hart 21 Gareth Davies 22 Ryan Davies 23 Shaun Pearce

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Foel’s Championship dream halted



FELINFOEL’s hopes of promotion to the WRU Championship were brought to an end on Sunday (May 12) as they were beaten in the play-offs by Ystalyfera.

Ystalyfera had won the first leg 34-28 on their home soil but Felinfoel were still very much in the tie and they had the backing of an 800-strong home crowd in the reverse fixture. Fans packed in to the ground and they witnessed an epic encounter.

Felinfoel held the lead at one time but their opponents hit back to seal a 20-30 win to win overall by 64 points to 48.

Felinfoel played some attractive rugby during the first half with wingers Eray Wilson and Elliot Dawe scoring tries wide out one of which was converted by Aled Roberts. Ystalyfera scored a penalty and a converted try making the half time score 12 points to 10.

Photos by Darren Harries

The second half opened brightly for Felinfoel with Roberts kicking a penalty and Wilson scoring a further try. With the score at 20 points to 10, matters were looking favourable for the home team.

It was at this stage that the Ystalyfera forwards took complete control of the match denying Felinfoel of any possession for the final 20mins of the match. With a strong scrummage and dynamic driving maul they continued to exert pressure onto the home team.

Ystalyfera were rewarded with a further two converted tries, penalty goal and drop goal and deserved their victory 20 points to 30, and promotion to the championship.

Both teams are to be congratulated in the way in which the game was played. Both sides gave their all and provided an entertaining encounter.

Both sets of supporters gave loud vocal support to each team and were sporting throughout the match.

At the end of the match Felinfoel coach Mike King who is leaving after two years in charge was given a rousing send off by players and supporters alike.

After the game Felinfoel took to twitter saying: “After another successful season, it’s time to say thank you. Thank you to all sponsors for supporting the club throughout the season once again. Without you we would not exist. Thank you to all the supporters who have been with us through thick and thin.

“Lastly, thank you to head coach Mike King who will be leaving us. He has set the foundations of the club and has turned this club around for the better. All at Felinfoel RFC can’t thank you enough. We wish you all the best in the future.”

Continue Reading


Morgan marches seconds home



DAFEN Seconds earned the bragging rights over Llanelli Seconds on Saturday (May 11) as they cruised to an eight wicket win.

Dafen won the toss but elected to field and that looked to be a good decision as they bowled their opponents out for just 118 inside 22 overs.

Aadil Mukhtar finished with excellent figures of 5-21 while Oliver Evans supported well taking four wickets for the loss of 40 runs.

Needing just thirty overs of their reply, Dafen Seconds eased to victory as Jac Morgan finished not out on 64 to see his side over the line.

Photo by Darren Harries

The win for Dafen keeps them joint top of the table with Briton Ferry Town after two games while Llanelli sit bottom of Division 3 and are still searching for their first win.

On Saturday (May 18), Dafen Seconds are at home against Dyffryn while Llanelli Seconds are away to Neath thirds.

Continue Reading


Jones duo sink Bronwydd



LLANGENNECH earned their first win of the season on Saturday (May 11) as they beat Bronwydd by 14 runs in a low scoring game.

Llangennech won the toss and elected to bat but they lost Chris Hickey early on when he was caught by Jacob Jenkinson off the bowling of Colin Tucker.

Matthew Jones scored 11 before he was caught and bowled by Tucker before David Williams was caught by Tom Gleeson off the bowling of Matthew Vaughan for a score of 14.

James Taube made the same score but was then caught by Phillip Howell off the bowling of Dafydd Morgan. Morgan also bowled Martin Gregory to leave Llangennech on 83-5.

Opener Scott Lloyd’s score of 30 had come off 127 balls and he was eventually caught by Vaughan off the bowling of Callum Collins-Davies.

Richard Clement was the third Llangennech batsman to make a score of 14 before getting out as he was caught by Jenkinson off the bowling of Gleeson.

Michael Jones was then run out before Gleeson claimed his second wicket as he had Simon Clement caught by Oliver Furneaux.

Vaughan then wrapped up the innings as he had Bav Patel caught by James Cale to leave Llangennech all out on 124. Photo by Darren Harries

Bronwydd’s opening pair of James Cale and Philip Howell shared 15 runs but Howell was out for a score of 8 to the bowling of Michael Jones.

Oliver Furneaux was next to fall when he was trapped leg before by Matthew Jones on a score of 11.

Chris Hickey then gave Owain Phillips his first wicket as he caught Jacob Jenkinson and the bowler then claimed his second as he had Cale caught by David Williams on a score of 17.

That left Bronwydd on 44-4 but Iwan Davies and Dafydd Morgan shared 40 runs for the fifth wicket to keep their side in the game.

Davies hit three fours and a six in his knock of 33 but he was then trapped leg before by Michael Jones. He then also bowled Callum Collins-Davies for a duck to reduce Bronwydd to 84-6.

Matthew Jones then had Dafydd Morgan caught on a score of 8 before then trapping Tom Gleeson leg before.

Hickey then took two more catches of Matthew Vaughan and Colin Tucker to give Matthew Jones his five-wicket haul and Bronwydd were all out for 110.

Gareth John had finished not out on 18 but it wasn’t enough for victory for the visitors.

Continue Reading