Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Llanelli: Patients locked out of surgery after doctor changes locks

Avatar

Published

on

Dr. Devichand

Dr. Devichand

PATIENTS and staff at the Andrew Street surgery and the Dafen surgery formerly run by Dr. Prabodh Devichand have been locked out of the premises following a dispute over the rental lease. Dr. Devichand told The Herald that he has not had a lease agreement signed despite giving legal notice that the deadline for a lease agreement was midnight on 31st March. Dr. Devichand told The Herald that he has not received any such agreement and had no alternative other than changing the locks at both surgeries. The notice on the doors of both surgeries reads, These premises (1 Dafen Road and 22 Andrew Street) are no longer available for use with effect from 1st April 2016.

In February The Herald was contacted by patients from Dr Devichand’s pactice in Andrew Street who raised concerns amid rumours that the surgery would be moving to a Portakabin at Prince Phillip Hospital. Patients told The Herald that they had not seen the doctors who were meant to be taking over the practice and that Dr Devichand himself was still running the surgery.

Dr Williams, of the new GP partnership, told The Herald that the practice was certainly not moving to a portacabin at Prince Phillip Hospital but said that the location in Andrew Street and the site in Dafen were not fit for purpose. He also stressed that the new practice members were in the process of finding an appropriate location with a timeline of 29 weeks to do so.

Dr Williams said: “We are in the hands of the people who are responsible for the NHS estates and they know what kind of place that resembles a health care facility. We have moved into several new buildings in the past and you just can’t just move into an empty building. The building is the issue and it will get rectified.”

This week matters have come to a head. Dr Devichand told The Herald he has been trying to arrange a lease for the new practice to use his existing surgeries until the new premises are available but has not been able to get any answers. He said that he had been instructed by the health Board to find a solicitor to arrange a lease. Dr. Devichand told The Herald that he had done this but that he had not had any agreement signed, despite giving the deadline of 31st March 2016.

Dr. Devichand had given the new doctors and the Health Board an ultimatum at the beginning of the year. Back then he said, “It has all been up in the air. I sent an email to the new doctors saying that I am finishing on the evening of January 29th and I sent a copy to Hywel Dda Health Board. That means that unless a lease is signed the surgery will not be available from February 1 onwards. If that happens then there will be uncertainty for both staff and patients. I don’t want patients to suffer but unless this is resolved the premises will not be available as from Monday, February 1.”

As of today, Friday (Apr 1) The Herald understands that both surgeries will be closed and the locks changed.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Avatar

    jill

    April 1, 2016 at 3:16 pm

    A short term lease should have been signed, this lock out can not be a shock to the new practise unless they thought they would have use of the surgeries for free! The powers that be knew since at least August that Dr Devichand was retiring from the 30/09/15 and on 2 occasions I know of left both surgeries without cover. I don’t blame Dr Devichand for taking this route, liberties have been taken and he seems to have had enough of being messed about.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Llanelli: Stop notice issued for school planning application

Avatar

Published

on


A CONTROVERSIAL planning application for a new 480-spaced school in Llanelli has been issued a stop notice by the Welsh Government.
Carmarthenshire County Council is proposing to build a new £9.1m school on Llanerch Fields in Llanelli and were looking to determine the planning application in the coming weeks. Welsh Government will now decide whether to call in the application or not.
The new school would accommodate 420 primary and 60 nursery pupils, set over two floors with larger classrooms with integrated IT facilities, a multi-purpose hall and specialist provision for pupils with additional learning needs.
Over recent years there has been much debate in the area on the choice of site for the new school with campaigners arguing that they support a new school, but object against Llanerch fields being built upon. Last year an attempt to get the land designated as a village green was turned down.
In 2017, Ysgol Dewi Sant as the first Welsh medium primary school to be provided by a local authority celebrated its 70th birthday.
Councillor Rob James, local member for Lliedi, stated “From day one I have raised concerns that the Council’s site choice and planning process opened the Council up to the possibility of the Welsh Government calling in the planning application. It is clear that these concerns were not misplaced and there is now a really chance that it will be. 

“As a local Councillor, a school governor and a parent, I am passionate about the need for a new school for the pupils of Ysgol Dewi Sant and it is important that local pupils get the benefits of a 21st century school.
“I will now be working with Council Officers to ensure that contingency plans are prepared in case the Welsh Government state that the planning application does not comply with national planning policy.
“I will also work with parents, pupils, residents and interested parties are able to engage with the Welsh Government during this process.”

Continue Reading

Community

Third annual Burry Port Raft Race is eagerly awaited

Avatar

Published

on

THE THIRD ANNUAL BURRY PORT RAFT RACE, organised by Burry Port couple, Craig and Isabel Goodman, will be held on Saturday (July 27).

The event which is held in Burry Port Harbour, raises much needed funds for both Burry Port RNLI and a children’s football academy and primary school the couple support in The Gambia.

The day launches at 12pm with stands, food stalls and children’s inflatable games and rides and these will be available until 5pm. You’ll also have a chance to meet the crews, who’ll be busy putting the final touches to their rafts.

Rafts launch at 3pm, followed by a presentation ceremony, including prizes for first raft over the line, first raft to sink and best dressed raft.

Craig said: ” A huge thank you goes to all our sponsors, including overall sponsor Dawsons, along with continued sponsorship from Celtic Couriers, Parker Plant Hire, Burns Pet Nutrition, Burry Port Co-Op, Llanelli Star, LBS Builders Merchants, Burry Port Marina, First Choice Flooring and Pembrey and Burry Port Town Council.

For any further information about the event, please contact 07825 842981.

Continue Reading

News

Compensation offered after FSCS declares Llanelli firm in default

Avatar

Published

on

CONSUMERS could get back money they have lost as a result of their dealings with a failed regulated firm in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire. The firm is Hayden Williams Independent Financial Services Limited formerly Assura Protect, Room 1, 7 Meadows Bridge, Parc Menter, Cross Hands, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, Wales SA14 6RA.

The firm was declared in default in June 2019 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).

FSCS is the UK’s statutory compensation scheme that protects customers of authorised financial services firms that carry out certain regulated activities. A declaration of default means FSCS is satisfied a firm is unable to pay claims for compensation made against it. This paves the way for customers of that firm to make a claim for compensation with FSCS.

Alex Kuczynski, Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at FSCS, said: “FSCS steps in to protect consumers around the UK when authorised financial services firms go bust. This vital service, which is free to consumers, protects deposits, insurance, investments, home finance and debt management. We want anyone who believes they may be owed money as a result of their dealings with this firm to get in touch, as we may be able to help you.”

Since it began in 2001, FSCS has helped more than 4.5m people, paying out more than £26bn in compensation.

If you wish to make a claim with FSCS against Hayden Williams Independent Financial Services Limited, you may be able to do so using FSCS’s online claims service at https://claims.fscs.org.uk Or you can contact its Customer Services Team on 0800 678 1100 or 020 7741 4100

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK