Connect with us


Town clinch dramatic last-gasp victory




Steve Stone: 92nd minute winner from Llanelli Town midfielder

Steve Stone: 92nd minute winner from Llanelli Town midfielder

TRAILING 2-1 with the game almost over, the Reds staged a dramatic last-ditch comeback with goals by Robert Thomas and Steve Stone to clinch three unexpected points, leaving their opponents ruing their misfortune.

The home side, occupying a bottom three spot in the table, nevertheless presented the visitors with plenty of problems, and were ahead after just 9 minutes following a Nicky Bruce free kick into the area which was not dealt with, allowing Paul Caulfield to sweep it past stand-in goalkeeper, Jamie Evans.

As the game progressed, the Reds enjoyed plenty of possession without displaying too much in the way of attacking intent, although Lee Bevan twice went close, first from a Richard Lewis cross and then a Stone set-piece.

They had better luck on 38 minutes when they levelled matters, with Robert Thomas making a run down the right before his delivery into the middle was met by Matthew Hughes whose downward header beat James Curtin in the Dinas goal.

This success encouraged the visitors to push forward, and Stone was unlucky to see his effort hit the post with Robert Thomas just unable to profit from the rebound.

There were appeals for a Reds penalty when Luke Jones appeared to be brought down after Lewis supplied a cross into the box, but these were waved away by referee Nigel Jones, and when Chris Thomas launched a ball downfield, only a fortunate deflection off James Blexham which found its way to Curtin prevented either Luke Jones or Hughes from taking advantage.

Liam Samuel became the second visiting player to strike the woodwork when his shot came back off the post, while Curtin did well to hang on safely to a Hughes strike on target.

Having survived these threats, Dinas then produced a sucker punch by once again taking the lead in the 64th minute following some good work by Kieron James, who made ground before finding Scott Muir infield, and his finish beat Evans via the underside of the bar.

Following this setback, the Reds made a number of changes, with Bruno Forkuoh, Bartolome Bauza and Osian Harries replacing Ross Jones, Mark Napieralla and Luke Jones respectively.

With time running out, it appeared as if the visitors were heading for another disappointing defeat, but on the stroke of full time, a Lewis clearance was collected by Robert Thomas whose superb lob cleared the despairing clutches of Curtin and level the scores.

Even better was to come, as deep into stoppage time, Samuel was denied by a great save by Curtin who diverted his shot for a corner taken by Lewis, and his curling delivery into the goalmouth led to Stone rising to head into the net and spark off some joyous celebrations.

There was still time for more drama, when the home side saw a longrange attempt by Myles Case sail over Evans but rebound off the bar, and the Reds clung on to savour the win.


Dinas Powys: Curtin; Adamson; Perrett (Bramhill, 58); Bloxham; Caulfield; Bruce; Palmer (Bryl, 76); Marr; Johns; Muir (Case, 72); James.

Sub not used: Banguraso.

Llanelli Town: Evans; Napieralla (Bauza, 69); Lewis; Stone; Bevan ©; C. Thomas; Samuel; R. Jones (Forkuoh, 65); L. Jones (Harries, 79); R. Thomas; Hughes.

Subs not used: Zola; Martin.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Raiders seal first ever win




West Wales Raiders 44

Coventry Bears 16

Lucas Marshall, Stebonheath Park,

A LATE rally by Coventry Bears was not enough to deny a jubilant West Wales Raiders their first-ever win at the 45th time of asking.

The old South Wales Ironmen tasted victory against Gloucestershire All Golds in the first match played at Stebonheath Park back in July 2017, but never before have the side won under the Raiders banner. And it was certainly worth the wait as the Raiders dominated much of the game against a Bears side that doesn’t have the best record when travelling to South Wales. The other game the Ironmen won in 2017 was against Coventry, whilst the Bears only won by 10 points at Llanelli last season.

Dewi Billingham made his Coventry debut while trialist Zak Williams made his first appearance since returning to the Bears. But both former Raiders stars were unable to come back to haunt their former employers.

Try time: Raiders celebrate another try. Photo by Darren Harries

Much of the damage was done in the first half with the Raiders taking control from the kick-off and eventually going in 20-0 up at the break.

It took only six minutes for Raiders to break the Bears defence when good work down the left put Dalton Desmond-Walker in for the opener. Phil Cowburn added the extras but was off target just moments later after Ash Bateman was on the end of some quick passing to go in on the right.

When Morgan Evans went in for the Raiders third, again converted by Cowburn, their loyal band of supporters started to believe they were on course for victory.

It could have been even worse for the Bears, but strong defence saw them hold the visitors up over the line on three occasions mid-way through the half. Although there was no denying Archie Snook with one of the final plays of the half after Welsh International Steve Parry had split the Bears defence to put the centre through. Cowburn once again failed with the conversion but the Raiders still celebrated their most positive 40 minutes in almost two years.

After the break, it was the Bears who struck first through Reece Rance, but any hopes of a comeback were soon extinguished by three quick-fire tries.

First, former Bears player Mitch Shaw scooted over, before Bateman and Snook both got their second try of the afternoon to all but secure the victory for the Llanelli-based outfit.

Parry then went in for the Raiders’ eighth try of the day to put the icing on a long-awaited cake.

But the Bears were by no means done and added two further tries of their own to make the scoreline look a little less dominate than the game suggested.

Tries from Errol Carter and South Wales youth system graduate Cobi Green, along with two Joe Sanderson conversions rounded off the scoring for the visitors.

Continue Reading


Dafen see off Porthcawl




DAFEN Seconds earned their sixth win of the season on Saturday (Jul 6) as they beat Porthcawl by 75 runs.

Porthcawl won the toss and elected to field and they were able to bowl Dafen out for 182.

Opener Oliver Evans made a score of 19 and Chris Randell scored 25 as a number of Dafen batsmen made good starts.

Jonathan Griffiths scored 22 and there were also scores of 15 from Tom Lavender and 16 from Luke Dunning.

Matthew Thomas made a late score of 18 while Andrew Randell top scored with 43 runs.

Nicholas Morgan was the pick of the bowlers with three wickets for the loss of 30 runs from his 6.3 overs.

Mark Bevan also bowled well to finish with figures of 3-37.

Photos by Darren Harries

That set Porthcawl 138 to win but they lost a number of batsmen for single figure scores as they struggled to put runs on the board.

Andrew Randell had Nicholas Morgan caught by Jac Morgan and Matthew Thomas had Rhodri Phillips caught by Chris Randell.

Chris Richards made a score of 13 before he was bowled by Rhys Marchant who then also bowled Rob Warren and had David Lewis caught by Chris Randell, both for ducks.

Tim Richards also fell for a duck when he was caught off the bowling of Matthew Thomas.

Mark Lewis had scored 25 but he also fell to the bowling of Marchant.

Steffan Flood also scored 25 before he was bowled by Chris Randell and Joshua Aubrey added 20 late on before he also fell to the bowling of Randell.

That meant that Porthcawl were all out for 107, giving Dafen seconds an excellent win.

On Saturday (Jul 13), Dafen seconds are away to local rivals Llanelli seconds.

Continue Reading


Rees century sees Llanelli to win




LLANELLI’s Iwan Rees scored a century on Saturday (Jul 6) to help his side to victory over Briton Ferry Steel.

Briton Ferry won the toss and elected to bat but they were restricted to 186-8 in their innings.

Steven Devonald struck early on to remove Evan Hynes but Lloyd Clement and Jamie Griffiths shared 44 runs for the second wicket.

Jac Rees had Griffiths caught by Craig Howells on a score of 24 and soon after Craig Evans was bowled by Aled Gilley for a duck.

Clement had made a score of 41 but when he was bowled by Rees, the Steel found themselves on 81-4.

That soon became 88-5 as Steve Maddock was caught by Marcus Leaf off the bowling of Gilley.

Photo by Darren Harries

Iwan Rees then had Steffan Evans caught by Howells and Rhys Norgrove fell in similar fashion.

Jason Hughes and Thomas Williams shared 56 runs for the eighth wicket as they looked to give their side a total to defend.

On the last ball Williams was caught by Rees off the bowling of Gilley on a score of 24 which left Hughes not out on 67.

Llanelli openers Iwan Rees and Ioan Phillips shared 42 runs for the first wicket before Phillips was caught by Rhys Norgrove off the bowling of Jay Webb.

That was as good as it got for the Steel though as they were unable to claim any further wickets.

Craig Howells hit seven fours as he finished unbeaten on 53 while Rees starred with 14 fours to finish unbeaten on 104.

The win gives Llanelli 19 points and keeps them third in the table. On Saturday (Jul 13), they travel to local rivals Dafen.

Continue Reading