Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Burglar completes triple triple

Published

on

Swansea Crown Court

A LLANELLI burglar has achieved a triple triple and earned himself another three year jail sentence.

James Hearne, aged 31, had been jailed twice in the past to minimum sentences of three years having been convicted of carrying out more than three house burglaries.

And Hearne, of Caeglas, has now received a third sentence for yet another house break in.

Kevin Jones, prosecuting, told Swansea crown court how Hearne knocked on the door of a house in Llethri Road, Llanelli, on June 28 and told the woman living there he was looking for work “cleaning gutters.”

But he didn’t have any work tools with him and she became suspicious.

Mr Jones said she kept watch and soon saw Hearne carrying a hammer and a short while later a bag.

Police were called and stopped him. He appeared to co-operate but after putting the bag into the back of the police car he suddenly ran off.

Hearne was seen to enter a house in Bryn Siriol but when officers called there the occupier said no-one else was present.

However, they found Hearne hiding under a duvet in a bedroom upstairs.

Mr Jones said it became clear that Hearne had earlier broken into a house in Llethri Road by smashing a glass door pane and had stolen a laptop computer and an Xbox games console.

Catherine Richards, the barrister representing Hearne, said he appreciated that under the government’s “three strikes and you’re out” rules he faced yet another minimum jail term of three years.

Judge Geraint Walters said house burglaries were serious in both the eyes of the law and the householders who were the victims.

But he said he would allow Hearne a discount for his plea of guilty and reduced the sentence to one 876 days.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Llangennech: Police praise the courage of victims of sexual predator Peter Lewis

Published

on

THE OUTSTANDING courage of three victims of a sexual predator has been commended by the officers who investigated the case.

Following the sentencing of ‘predatory’ child abuser Peter Lewis.

The 54-year-old, of Tirgof, Llangennech, will serve a 27 year extended sentence for raping and sexually assaulting three girls, who were all under the age of 13 at the time of the offences.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Gareth Roberts, Dyfed-Powys Police, said:
“The three victims in this case have shown tremendous courage by supporting this investigation and giving evidence at court.
“Without them, this predatory sexual offender would not have been brought to justice.”

On Friday, 29 March 2019, Lewis was found guilty of 16 counts of sexual offences against children, including four of rape, seven of sexual assault, two of making indecent images and one of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

DCI Roberts continued: “Lewis did not accept responsibility and showed no remorse for his crimes. The investigating team has been tenacious in pursuing the truth and seeking justice for these brave girls.
“If anyone reading this has concerns surrounding contact they, or someone they know, has had with Peter Lewis, I urge them to speak to us.
“We have specialist police officers who will be there to support anyone who reports sexual offences to us.”

Police said: “We encourage any victims of sexual offences to have the confidence to come forward and report the offence to us. All reports are dealt with seriously and sensitively. Reports can be made by calling 101.

“Anyone with concerns about contact they, or someone they know, has had with Peter Lewis, is encouraged to contact Dyfed-Powys Police, quoting crime reference: DPP/0037/09/02/2018/01/C.”

Continue Reading

News

Llanelli Town Mayor hosted the Easter Family Fun Day

Published

on

Llanelli Town Mayor David Darkin and Mayoress Kim Darkin with Cllr Suzy Curry and Cllr John Prosser also Nia Nia Griffith MP

ON Saturday 20th April Llanelli Town Mayor hosted the Easter Family Fun Day in the Selwyn Samuel Centre Arena.

The day was a huge success and raised lots of money for the mayors chosen charities – the main charity bring CYCA which provides support to children and young people in Carmarthenshire.

Attendees were treated to taster sport sessions with Rugby Tots, a selection of songs from Shrek Jr from the Hive Theatre Company, magic and fun from Crazy Clayton and a very special visit from Belle who sung songs and played games with the children.

Emergency services information stalls

The event was supported by many local community groups and even had a fire engine pop in for a visit.

Asda llanelli donated some of the Easter eggs and a huge thank you to other raffle prize donors including Joe’s ice cream, hungry horse and berridge-Jones photography.

Cllr David Darkin would like to thank everyone who supported and gave their time to make the event the success it was.

Continue Reading

News

Wales’ largest ever coastal walking festival launches May

Published

on

THIS May a new walking festival celebrating seven years of the 870-mile coast path will take place. The festival’s aim is to encourage locals across Wales to get outdoors, meet new people and appreciate the beautiful Welsh landscapes.

Walks will cover seven coastal regions will be organised by the Wales Coast Path and Ramblers Cymru.

The festival not only aims to showcase Wales’ beautiful coastline and countless natural assets, the Wales Coast Path Walking Festival will also boost local tourism along the path whilst encouraging residents to come together to celebrate the country’s iconic coastline.

Taking place 4th -19th May 2019, the festival will feature over 40 new guided walks created by Ramblers Cymru. The festival programme has been specifically designed to suit all ages and abilities, with the majority of the walks free to join.

From fully accessible and short family walks tonature walks and more challenging hikes, the festival aims to encourage people to enjoy outdoor exercise while exploring Wales’ iconic coastline. All walks will be led by experienced guides offering insights into the unique wildlife, fascinating history and culture that can be found along the way.

Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism, Lord Elis-Thomas, said: “This festival is set to be an excellent addition to Wales’ Year of Discovery and a way for visitors and locals to discover more about our unique Wales Coast Path. I’m delighted that the guided walks will encourage people to find out more about the landscape, history and wildlife associated with the coastal path and will also be an excellent way to be active while discovering more of Wales.”

Local authorities for each of the seven coastal regions, which include South Wales, The Gower, Ceredigion, the Llŷn Peninsula, Pembrokeshire, Carmarthen, and North Wales, will help support the event, along with partners National Resources Wales, Pembrokeshire Coast National Park and a number of charities including Keep Wales Tidy.

The festival, which coincides with Visit Wales’ Year of Discovery 2019, will follow a theme of discovery which will be prominent throughout. The Wales Coast Path is the world’s first uninterrupted route along a national coast and gives hikers access to undiscovered sections of the coast with stunning views, rugged landscapes and rare wildlife.

To learn more about the Wales Coast Path walking festival or book walks visit: www.walescoastpath.gov.uk

Register to attend the festival: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/wales-coast-path-walking-festival-2019-18812644097

Admission free (additional charges for linear walks where transport is required).

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK