Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Disgusted pensioners say ‘enough’ to delays

Jon Coles

Published

on

screen-shot-2016-09-14-at-10-13-23AN ELDERLY couple, one of whom has dementia, recently contacted The Herald to express concern regarding a number of problems in the bungalow they rent from the County Council. 

Dorothy McDonald of Waun Sidan in Llanelli began by telling The Herald:

“We have had problems with rats since November 2015. We had a flood in our kitchen caused by workmen climbing onto the roof to see where the rats were coming in and dislodging four slates.

“We were unable to use our kitchen for over four weeks while they put in a new ceiling and we had to go out to buy meals during that time.”

Dorothy continued: “Four weeks ago when we came back from a few days with our daughter in London , the smell in the bungalow was terrible. We traced it to coming from the attic. We rang the housing department in Llanelli and they said they would send someone out.

“For four weeks, I kept being told that someone would come out. Nobody ever did. My husband, who is 88 -years-old and has dementia, climbed the ladders and had a look but he couldn’t see and he couldn’t climb across the boards.”

Dorothy said: “I got up on Sunday , August 19 , at 5am to go to the bathroom and it was covered in maggots. I killed them all and washed the floor with bleach. I went and bought some spray for maggots and put that down. I got up early on the Sunday morning to find the bathroom crawling with hundreds of maggots again.”

Speaking about her frustration at not being helped , Dorothy said: “That was the final straw. I just broke down into tears. It was awful.

“I cleaned them all up again. At nine o’clock , I telephoned our local Town Councillor , Ken Edwards. He was great and he came round to the bungalow with his wife.

“I told him we had seen some coming from behind the bath . We pulled the side of the bath away to find under the bath was full of builders ‘ rubble.”

With the help of Councillor Ken Edwards , they contacted Carmarthenshire County Council. Dorothy said : “Someone called me straight away and he was really helpful. He said he could hear I was upset and he would get some one out as soon as he could. By 11 o’clock , a contractor arrived and he went up in the attic and at the very far side was what he described as a very large rat which had been dead for some time and it was crawling with maggots.

“He cleared all the area and he said that the workmen who did the ceiling had not finished the job there was also problems with the wiring. He said the rats were coming in under the eaves at the far corner.

Dorothy expressed her disgust at having to pay the full rent and community charge for a bungalow that is not fit to live in. She said : “If the bungalow had been rented out by a private landlord , they would be prosecuted.”

Dorothy says she is now seeking compensation for the distress and inconvenience as well as the money she has spent herself : “I have gone through the press because I want to show the manner in which Carmarthenshire County Council treat their elderly tenants.”

The Herald visited Dorothy’s bungalow on Wednesday (Aug 31). It was difficult to remain inside the bungalow for more than couple of minutes due to the overpowering smell of what can only be described as a rotting corpse. We saw for ourselves the pile of rubble left under the bath by contractors.

Dorothy told us : “The council workmen were supposed to come out at 8am yesterday. They did not arrive. After spending hours on the phone to them , they told me some one would be here in the next seven days. I told them I had enough ; I am near breaking point and was going to the press.”

We asked the Council to comment, but no response to our request was received in time for inclusion.

Head of Housing and Public Protection, Robin Staines, said: “An issue with rats at 13 Waun Sidan and neighbouring properties was resolved in April this year. Mrs McDonald reported this latest problem to us last week and a contractor has visited and laid bait. The drains have also been surveyed and no defects found. The contractor has reported that there may be a new access point to the loft at the properties, and as such, scaffolding will now be erected for roofers to seal off these points. “On the matter in the bathroom, rubble has been removed from behind the bath and works will be carried out to amend any damage. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will be agreeing recompense.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Four charged with conspiracy to supply class A drugs

Carli Newell

Published

on

FOUR people have been arrested and charged as part of an investigation into an organised crime gang supplying class A drugs from London to Aberystwyth, Llanelli and Swansea.

Dyfed-Powys Police, with support from The Met Police, carried out warrants at four addresses on July 21, resulting in four arrests.

Mohammed Osman, aged 23, Yonis Mohammed, aged 20, Salman Mohamoud, aged 23 – all from Islington – and Amy Simmons, aged 21, from Dulwich were charged with a total of 12 offences:

  • Mohammed Osman: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine,
  • Yonis Mohammed: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.
  • Salman Mohamoud: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine
  • Amy Simmons: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.

All four appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Friday, July 23, where they were remanded in custody. They are due to appear at Swansea Crown Court for their next hearing on August 20.

The investigation is being carried out by the Ceredigion Serious and Organised Crime Team, Aberystwyth CID and the Operation Orochi command of the Met Police.

Detective Sergeant Steve Jones said: “These four arrests and charges are the result of a coordinated approach to target an organised crime gang we believe is running a county lines operation into the Dyfed-Powys Police force area.

“We will continue to work diligently to disrupt gangs of this kind, to prevent the supply of illegal substances into our community.

“I would like to thank all officers involved, as well as the Met Police for their part in the operation.”

Continue Reading

News

New children’s play area in Bryn as part of new council housing development

Carli Newell

Published

on

A NEW children’s play area has opened in time for the summer holidays in Bryn, Llanelli as part of a new £5.9million council housing development.

Carmarthenshire County Council is building 32 new homes on land close to the Dylan housing estate in Bryn.

The scheme will be made up of 22 two-bedroom homes, four two-bedroom bungalows and six four-bedroom homes and is part of the council’s ongoing drive to deliver more affordable homes across the county. It has been part funded through the Welsh Government’s Affordable Housing Grant.

The development also includes a new children’s play area, funded by the council in partnership with Llanelli Rural Council, which will take over the running and maintenance of the play area on completion.

Executive Board Member for Housing Cllr Linda Evans said: “I am delighted the park has been completed in time for the summer holidays for the local children to enjoy.

“We are committed to delivering more affordable housing across Carmarthenshire and this development will benefit dozens of families in Llanelli, as well as proving much needed facilities for the local community.

“I would like to thank the rural council for collaborating with this us on this and I hope the children are thrilled with it.”

Before designing the play area, the rural council liaised with local schoolchildren to find out what play equipment they wanted at their new park.

Llanelli Rural Council Chairman Cllr Tegwen Devichand said: “The council is delighted to be working in partnership with Carmarthenshire County Council to provide this wonderful new play area for the community.

“The opening of the play area couldn’t have been better timed to coincide with the school holidays. I hope the local children will enjoy the range of challenging play equipment on offer and that they have lots of fun using it over the summer.”

The housing development is due to be completed by the beginning of 2022.

Continue Reading

News

Burry Port Harbour lighthouse overhaul tops council’s £2million investment

Carli Newell

Published

on

A £2MILLION investment in Burry Port Harbour is nearing completion, topped off with the iconic lighthouse getting a fresh lick of paint.

Carmarthenshire County Council is behind a range of improvements to maintain and restore the historic harbour which is one of the county’s most loved and well visited beauty spots.

Restoration of the Grade II listed harbour walls, undertaken under the guidance of CADW, will conclude within the next few weeks.

The council has also been working alongside The Marine Group, which operates the harbour, to improve mooring facilities. They are working closely with fishermen to bid for funding for new commercial pontoon infrastructure.

It will add to investment made over previous years which saw the council spend almost £1.5million on new pontoons, and over £300,000 in maintaining the harbour railings and bridge.

A local operator has agreed a lease for a cafe and public toilets on east side of Harbour, and the refurbishment of the old RNLI harbour office has recently started by The Marine Group (TMG) to create a harbour-side coffee house.

TMG has also invested in a state-of-the-art dredger which arrived at the harbour last autumn. Dredging is well underway and will continue until targeted depths are reached.

Boat lifting equipment and new fuelling points are also planned.

The council has introduced community safety officers to patrol the harbour assisting tourists and local people during the summer months, especially to advise around Covid regulations, as part of a tourism hotspot plan to take care of issues such as parking, litter, street cleansing, enforcement and signage.

Temporary car parking surfacing has also been laid on the east side along with new pay and display facilities ahead of a wider multi-million regeneration plan that will transform the harbour with a mix of housing, commercial and leisure space covering around 13 acres of prime development site.

Cllr Peter Hughes Griffiths, Executive Board Member for Culture, Sport and Tourism, said: “We are proud of our continued investment in Burry Port Harbour. We are spending millions restoring and maintaining historic features that are much-loved by local people and visitors who come from far and wide to enjoy what the harbour has to offer.

“We continue to work closely alongside The Marine Group and Pembrey and Burry Port Town Council to plan and prioritise works and ongoing maintenance. We are as keen as everyone else to ensure it is well-maintained and continues to be a place people can enjoy.

“We appreciate that there has been some upheaval during these improvement works but we ask people to understand that our investment will make Burry Port Harbour an even better place for the future.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK