Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Coleg Sir Gar lecturer struck off

Avatar

Published

on

Nia Davies: Leaving the hearing (Pic. Wales News Service)

Nia Davies: Leaving the hearing (Pic. Wales News Service)

A FEMALE art teacher was today (Oct 14) struck off over for having sex with a 17-year-old female student after it was discovered by her policeman father.

Tutor Nia Davies, 31, was found guilty of unacceptable professional conduct over the “sexually motivated” affair while teaching her A-level.

A disciplinary hearing found Davies had taken the young girl on weekends away to Bath and London to share hotel bedrooms.

It was discovered when her police officer father spotted a lovebite on her neck – and told college chiefs about their secret relationship.

Davies also sent messages encouraging the girl to experiment with drugs and alcohol during the “extremely close relationship” between them.

An Education Workforce panel has now banned Davies from teaching for a minimum of two years after six allegations of misconduct were proven.

Chairman Peter Williams said: “Ms Davies’ conduct was found to be sexually motivated.”

The 10 month-affair – which took place when Davies was a teacher and the girl an A-Level student at Carmarthenshire College – was only disrupted after the teenager’s policeman father noticed love bites on her neck.

Presenting officer Cadi Dewi said: “Concerns first came to light about the relationship when the girl’s father made a referral to her college.

“He noticed she had marks on the side of her neck which he described as love bites.

“He was then told by her sister that the girl was ‘seeing’ Davies.”

The father, who works in Dyfed Powys Police in West Wales, alerted his colleagues to suspected affair and an investigation was launched at Carmarthenshire College.

She said: “In just 17 days alone the pair exchanged 350 pages worth of messages. 120 were sent in just one day.

“Davies showed a willingness to overstep boundaries at the college. There were frequent references to the use of drugs, using cannabis and alcohol.

“It was an extremely close and highly inappropriate relationship. It became a relationship that was sexual in nature.

“Davies’ motivation in becoming so friendly and so close to the girl was that she had a sexual interest in her.”

The girl – referred to as ‘Learner A’ throughout the hearing – previously admitted to her parents she had spent weekends away in Bath and London with her teacher.

She denied having sex with Davies when interviewed by police, but admitted they had kissed and would sleep together at Davies’ home in Cardiff.

The police investigation led to Davies being arrested and bailed, but she was never charged.

Her college in Llanelli, West Wales, launched their own investigation, but it wasn’t completed before Davies’ contract at the school was allowed to expire, and she refused to attend subsequent investigation meetings.

The girl, described as a “outgoing and bright pupil”, told the hearing she had never been in a relationship with Davies, which led to Ms Dewi accusing her of “trying to protect” Davies.

George Pollitt, representing Davies, said: “She said they have engaged in some sort of relationship, which is not platonic, since 2015 when the girl was over the age of 18, and when my client was not employed at the college.

“I cannot put a label on what the relationship is, but I’m told it’s hard to define. They met up socially as friends and things blossomed.”

But the Education Workforce Council panel found six allegations of misconduct proven, after Davies had admitted counts of engaging in communication of a social nature and seeing the girl unaccompanied on a social basis outside of college.

The proven claims included inviting the girl into her home address, allowing her to sleep at her home, kissing her, and giving her a love bite.

Claims of sharing a bed with the girl in London and engaging in sexual intercourse were not proven.

Davies, from Cardiff, was removed from the teaching register and will have to wait two years until she can reapply.

A spokesman said: “Ms Davies has the right of appeal to the High Court within 28 days.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Llanelli bus depot to close after 100 years

Avatar

Published

on

THE LLANELLI HERALD understands that the Llanelli Bus Depot at Inkermans Street will be closing its gates for good. 

The Bus Depot has served the local community for approximately 100 years, Drivers will now be sent to work from depots in Carmarthen, Swansea and Tycroes. 

All services will remain in the the town, this newspaper can confirm, and our reporter was told that there will not be any redundancies. 

One bus driver told us that he and he co-workers were “not completely happy”, but the unnamed source added “At least we still have jobs to go to.” 

Further updates are expected on this developing story.

Continue Reading

News

Two week national ‘Firebreak Lockdown’ announced for Wales from 6pm on Friday

Avatar

Published

on

MARK DRAKEFORD, The First Minister of Wales has announced a two week ‘fire break’ lockdown from Friday October 23 at 18:00 HRS, to last until Monday November 9 at 00:01 HRS

Mr Drakeford said: “This firebreak is the shortest we can make it. It must be sharp and deep in order to have the impact we need it to have on the virus.”

All non essential businesses, including tourism businesses will be told to close.

Businesses have been told that they will be given £1000 each automatically to help with the economic impact of the shutdown.

Mr Drakeford added that children will be the priority and that childcare facilities will open as normal. Primary schools will open after half term.

Secondary schools will be closed for a week after half term to help control the virus.

Universities will offer a mixture of face-to-face learning and learning via video link. Students must stay at their university accommodation during the lockdown.

Responding to the Welsh Government’s announcement of a Wales-wide lockdown, Paul Davies MS, the Leader of the Opposition in the Welsh Parliament, has called the lockdown “not-proportionate” and is calling on the Welsh Government to be “open and transparent” on the evidence to support a lockdown and if the First Minister is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns every month.

Paul Davies MS said: “Sadly, the First Minster has failed to get public support for this second Wales-wide lockdown, failing to be open and transparent about the evidence to justify this lockdown and what his actions will entail for the future.

“The Welsh Government also has to be honest that this road they are taking us down is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns. This is not a two-week break to solve the pandemic, it is likely that we will see regular lockdowns across the rest of the year. The Welsh Government must be clear what actions they are taking during the lockdown to prevent further Wales-wide lockdowns which will have a significant impact on people’s lives and livelihoods.

“However, the main concern is that this national lockdown is not proportionate. The impact on businesses in areas such as Powys, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion, who have the lowest rate of Covid-19 cases in Wales, will be severe at a time when they are desperately struggling to recover from the pandemic so far this year.

“The First Minister needs to urgently come to the Welsh Parliament and answer these questions, to face effective scrutiny by elected representatives and not run his government by media.”

Preseli Pembrokeshire MP, Stephen Crabb told The Herald: “The evidence to support an all-Wales lockdown is weak and I am sceptical that this so-called ‘fire-break’ will tackle the situation in those parts of Wales where infection rates have been out of control. The key issue for Welsh Government to address is what will be done differently after the firebreak ends in those parts of Wales where infection rates have spiralled out of control. Otherwise the whole of Wales risks being dragged back into a series of rolling lockdowns.

“As we saw earlier in the year, lockdowns come with huge costs in terms of harm to the economy and to people’s emotional and mental wellbeing. With the Welsh Government asking UK Government to fund this lockdown, I hope that as many businesses as possible get support they need quickly. Pembrokeshire’s hospitality businesses will be hit particularly hard by these latest restrictions and I will be fighting hard again to see that they are protected as the lockdown kicks in.”

Continue Reading

News

Drakeford to make decision on ‘fire-break’ lockdown in Wales by Monday

Avatar

Published

on

WALES is facing a national lockdown lasting at least two weeks in plans described as a “fire-break” by the first minister.

He said a decision was likely to be made on Monday, while talks continue with health officials, scientific advisors and councils over the weekend.
“Doing nothing is not an option,” he said.

Responding to the speculation First Minister, Mark Drakeford, is set to announce a ‘circuit-breaker’ lockdown in Wales, Welsh Conservative health spokesperson, Andrew RT Davies MS said: “I implore the First Minister to think again before heading down this path.

“The decision to lockdown Wales once again will have devastating consequences – from an economic and public health perspective – and should be the last resort.

“Only yesterday, the former director of communicable diseases at Public Health Wales, Dr Roland Salmon, said a circuit-breaker is likely to fail and the Welsh Labour Government should listen carefully to his warning.

“Earlier this week, Welsh Conservatives called for the urgent resumption of shielding in Wales with a substantial package of support to ensure the financial, physical and mental well-being of those most at risk is protected.

“This should be the immediate action taken by ministers along with prioritising PPE and testing in the problem areas in Wales such as hospitals, care home, universities and meat factories.

“It’s not too late for the Labour Government to reconsider and choose a different approach in Wales.”

Mr Drakeford warned that 2,500 people were now being infected with coronavirus every day in Wales, with critical care units in hospitals full.

“A successful fire-break would re-set the virus at a lower level,” he added.

Together with a new national set of rules for the whole of Wales after the fire-break period we would have slowed the virus down enough to get us through to Christmas.”
Plaid Cymru has been calling on Mr Drakeford to introduce the circuit-breaker without delay, while Labour at Westminster says a similar approach should be adopted in England.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK