Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Fraud and cybercrime cost Dyfed-Powys £4m in last year

Avatar

Published

on

cPEOPLE in Dyfed-Powys are being urged to start making every day safer as the latest online crime figures from Get Safe Online and the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) reveal that a staggering £4 million was lost by the area as a result of fraud, including cybercrime in 2015/16.

Nationally, this figure rose to a staggering £10.9 billion over the same period which equates to approximately £210 per person over the age of 16 living in the UK, but represents only reported fraud and cybercrime to Action Fraud.

However, a specially commissioned survey to mark Get Safe Online Day (Oct 18) reveals that the UK figure is likely to be much greater, with respondents who had been a victim of online crime alone losing an average of £523 each – this being more than the average weekly earnings figure for the UK which currently stands at £505.

In addition, 39% of people who said they’d been victims of online crime said they hadn’t reported the incident – this meaning that the overall amount of money lost by the UK could in fact be even more.

In Wales, 30% said that they had a limited understanding of the risks they face when going online, but 91% said they were somewhat or very concerned about their online safety and security. 88% also said they felt online crime was as damaging or more damaging than physical crime.

The victims of cyber criminals

The research found a worrying gap in people’s understanding of what constitutes an online crime – 89% of people from Wales said they had not been targeted by cyber criminals in the past 12 months. But, 61% had in fact been targeted in a variety of ways:

  • 51% received fraudulent emails or messages which have attempted to direct them to websites where their personal information could have been stolen, including bank details, user names and passwords
  • 25% reported being contacted by someone who was trying to trick them into giving away personal information
  • 11% had their email or social media accounts hacked
  • 2% had been victims of ransomware, a fast-growing online crime

Of those who said they had been a victim of cybercrime, 67% said they felt that the matter was too trivial to report. Worryingly, 57% also said that they felt there was nothing that could be done.

Poor online safety habits

But, many people in Wales are still not taking the basic steps to keep themselves safe online with as many as 39% saying that they use the same password for multiple online accounts. In fact, even when a company warns people to change their password after a breach – 28% have been contacted to do so – 14% said they did not follow the advice. The survey found that people use an average 10 passwords across devices and accounts.

The research also showed that respondents in the area only update their security software every 7 months and 25% do not update their device operating systems at all. When it comes to taking care of personal information, 22% said they never update their privacy settings on social media, with 66% saying they did not know how to. Additionally, 26% don’t back up their documents and photographs at all.

Tony Neate, Chief Executive of Get Safe Online, said: “The fact that the UK is losing nearly £11 billion to cyber criminals is frightening and highlights the need for each and every one of us to make sure we are taking our online safety seriously. It is clear from our survey that people are very concerned, and rightly so.

“The fact that over a third of people felt there was nothing that could have been done to stop them becoming a victim is alarming indeed – particularly when it’s so easy to protect yourself online. Also, as our research shows, people are losing large sums of money on average – £523 being the equivalent of a holiday abroad or the price of a new piece of technology in the home. As a result, it seems there is still a big education job to do.

“Let’s not let cyber criminals get away with it anymore by ensuring that each and every one of us is updating the operating systems of our various devices and ensuring security software is always updated. What’s more we all need to ensure that we have a different password for each online account we own and website we visit. Online safety needs to be part of our everyday routines.”

 

Pam Kelly, Assistant Chief Constable, Dyfed-Powys Police, said: “Cybercrime are our hidden streets and we need to keep people safe within the online community.  I urge the public to take online security seriously and to think carefully about the Get Safe Online Day messages, paying particular attention to the passwords you use online.  Using strong passwords is an essential part of crime prevention and disruption and I urge the public to think seriously about the importance of this message.

“The easiest way to create a strong, memorable password is to use three random words.”

Making online safety part your everyday routine

This year’s Get Safe Online Day is encouraging everyone to start making every day safer by following a few simple steps:

  • Review the passwords you use on your online accounts: Make sure they’re strong enough and that you’re not using the same ones for more than one account. Consider how you’re going to remember them all – such as using an online password safe.
  • Check your social media privacy settings. Make sure your information and updates are seen only by those you trust.
  • Update your operating system and software programs/apps on your computer, mobile phone and tablet if you’ve been prompted to do so. It takes only a few minutes and with your mobile devices, you can even do it while you’re asleep.
  • Back up your information – using the cloud is a great way to save all your documents, photos, music, emails and other irreplaceable files.
  • Check that your internet security software and apps are up to date and switched on.
  • If you have children, think about whether you’re doing enough to help ensure they’re staying safe online.
  • If you’ve lost money report it to Action Fraud, the UK’s national fraud reporting centre by calling 0300 123 20 40 or by visiting actionfraud.police.uk If you are a victim of online abuse or harassment, you should report it to your local police force.
  • Take a few minutes to read the expert, easy-to-follow, free advice on all of these and considerably more subjects at www.getsafeonline.org
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Llanelli bus depot to close after 100 years

Avatar

Published

on

THE LLANELLI HERALD understands that the Llanelli Bus Depot at Inkermans Street will be closing its gates for good. 

The Bus Depot has served the local community for approximately 100 years, Drivers will now be sent to work from depots in Carmarthen, Swansea and Tycroes. 

All services will remain in the the town, this newspaper can confirm, and our reporter was told that there will not be any redundancies. 

One bus driver told us that he and he co-workers were “not completely happy”, but the unnamed source added “At least we still have jobs to go to.” 

Further updates are expected on this developing story.

Continue Reading

News

Two week national ‘Firebreak Lockdown’ announced for Wales from 6pm on Friday

Avatar

Published

on

MARK DRAKEFORD, The First Minister of Wales has announced a two week ‘fire break’ lockdown from Friday October 23 at 18:00 HRS, to last until Monday November 9 at 00:01 HRS

Mr Drakeford said: “This firebreak is the shortest we can make it. It must be sharp and deep in order to have the impact we need it to have on the virus.”

All non essential businesses, including tourism businesses will be told to close.

Businesses have been told that they will be given £1000 each automatically to help with the economic impact of the shutdown.

Mr Drakeford added that children will be the priority and that childcare facilities will open as normal. Primary schools will open after half term.

Secondary schools will be closed for a week after half term to help control the virus.

Universities will offer a mixture of face-to-face learning and learning via video link. Students must stay at their university accommodation during the lockdown.

Responding to the Welsh Government’s announcement of a Wales-wide lockdown, Paul Davies MS, the Leader of the Opposition in the Welsh Parliament, has called the lockdown “not-proportionate” and is calling on the Welsh Government to be “open and transparent” on the evidence to support a lockdown and if the First Minister is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns every month.

Paul Davies MS said: “Sadly, the First Minster has failed to get public support for this second Wales-wide lockdown, failing to be open and transparent about the evidence to justify this lockdown and what his actions will entail for the future.

“The Welsh Government also has to be honest that this road they are taking us down is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns. This is not a two-week break to solve the pandemic, it is likely that we will see regular lockdowns across the rest of the year. The Welsh Government must be clear what actions they are taking during the lockdown to prevent further Wales-wide lockdowns which will have a significant impact on people’s lives and livelihoods.

“However, the main concern is that this national lockdown is not proportionate. The impact on businesses in areas such as Powys, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion, who have the lowest rate of Covid-19 cases in Wales, will be severe at a time when they are desperately struggling to recover from the pandemic so far this year.

“The First Minister needs to urgently come to the Welsh Parliament and answer these questions, to face effective scrutiny by elected representatives and not run his government by media.”

Preseli Pembrokeshire MP, Stephen Crabb told The Herald: “The evidence to support an all-Wales lockdown is weak and I am sceptical that this so-called ‘fire-break’ will tackle the situation in those parts of Wales where infection rates have been out of control. The key issue for Welsh Government to address is what will be done differently after the firebreak ends in those parts of Wales where infection rates have spiralled out of control. Otherwise the whole of Wales risks being dragged back into a series of rolling lockdowns.

“As we saw earlier in the year, lockdowns come with huge costs in terms of harm to the economy and to people’s emotional and mental wellbeing. With the Welsh Government asking UK Government to fund this lockdown, I hope that as many businesses as possible get support they need quickly. Pembrokeshire’s hospitality businesses will be hit particularly hard by these latest restrictions and I will be fighting hard again to see that they are protected as the lockdown kicks in.”

Continue Reading

News

Drakeford to make decision on ‘fire-break’ lockdown in Wales by Monday

Avatar

Published

on

WALES is facing a national lockdown lasting at least two weeks in plans described as a “fire-break” by the first minister.

He said a decision was likely to be made on Monday, while talks continue with health officials, scientific advisors and councils over the weekend.
“Doing nothing is not an option,” he said.

Responding to the speculation First Minister, Mark Drakeford, is set to announce a ‘circuit-breaker’ lockdown in Wales, Welsh Conservative health spokesperson, Andrew RT Davies MS said: “I implore the First Minister to think again before heading down this path.

“The decision to lockdown Wales once again will have devastating consequences – from an economic and public health perspective – and should be the last resort.

“Only yesterday, the former director of communicable diseases at Public Health Wales, Dr Roland Salmon, said a circuit-breaker is likely to fail and the Welsh Labour Government should listen carefully to his warning.

“Earlier this week, Welsh Conservatives called for the urgent resumption of shielding in Wales with a substantial package of support to ensure the financial, physical and mental well-being of those most at risk is protected.

“This should be the immediate action taken by ministers along with prioritising PPE and testing in the problem areas in Wales such as hospitals, care home, universities and meat factories.

“It’s not too late for the Labour Government to reconsider and choose a different approach in Wales.”

Mr Drakeford warned that 2,500 people were now being infected with coronavirus every day in Wales, with critical care units in hospitals full.

“A successful fire-break would re-set the virus at a lower level,” he added.

Together with a new national set of rules for the whole of Wales after the fire-break period we would have slowed the virus down enough to get us through to Christmas.”
Plaid Cymru has been calling on Mr Drakeford to introduce the circuit-breaker without delay, while Labour at Westminster says a similar approach should be adopted in England.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK