Connect with us


Whitland undone by Aber




League 1 West

Aberystwyth 31

Whitland 2 6

Paul Stubbs: Bursting through the tackles to score his try

Paul Stubbs: Bursting through the tackles to score his try

BEFORE kick-off, both teams stood for a minute’s silence in memory of Emrys Thomas, who unfortunately died recently in Spain.

Emrys had given a sterling service to the club over many years and among other duties had managed some of the most successful youth teams to represent Aberystwyth.

Many of those players went on to play senior rugby for Aberystwyth with distinction, notably his sons Barrie and Byron.

Aber started the game promisingly by pushing Whitland off their scrum and quickly moving the ball to the right, but this promising attack was well defended.

Whitland worked the ball upfield and from an overthrown Aber lineout in their own 22, eventually number 8, Jack Mason, scored from close range.

The try was converted Nico Sertaro. Although slightly against the run of play, Aber were not deterred and came back strongly.

Another Whitland scrum in their own 22 was demolished and one long pass found Rhodri Richards, who streaked through to score. The try was converted by Llyr Thomas to make the score 7-7.

The game ebbed and flowed when, after some uncharacteristic poor defending, Aber let centre Connor Edwards through to score wide out on the right.

Aber took the game to Whitland and due to some inaccuracy in maintaining possession and some wrong options being taken, a number of promising attacks came to naught.

Whitland were contributing greatly in making this a very entertaining game. From one of their very few visits to the Aber 22, they scored their third try when Connor Edwards burst through to score near the posts, and the conversion was kicked by Nico Sertaro.

Aber again went on the attack and were awarded a penalty on the Whitland 22. Paul Stubbs took matters in his own hands and burst through a number of tackles to score a brilliant individual try to make the half time score 12-19.

Aber started the second half full of intent but unfortunately, after a very good 40m run by James Plumbridge, they were unable to retain the ball and continue the attack.

Whitland came back strongly and hit the post with a penalty which Aber managed to clear.

A Whitland centre was then yellow carded for playing the ball in an off-side position.

Aber opted for a scrum and skipper Lee Evans, with a strong run from the base of the scrum, burst over the line to score. The try was converted by Llyr Thomas to level the score at 19-19.

Whitland then picked up another yellow card for a high tackle and, from this point, Aber began to dominate proceedings.

They moved the ball to the narrow side of a ruck and with some well-timed accurate passes among the backs, they worked full-back Sion Summers free to score near the posts. Llyr Thomas converted to make the score 26-19.

Aber continued to attack strongly and, from open play, influential outside-half Mathew Hughes powered over after a classic outside break to score in the corner, to make the score 31-19.

The last 10 minutes of the game belonged to Whitland as they strived for a second bonus point. They achieved it when from the last move of the game substitute Ben Kirk went over for a try converted by Nico Sertaro to make the final score 31-26.

Both teams should be congratulated for contributing to a very entertaining and competitive game edged by Aberystwyth due in no small part to their excellent scrum and their superior fitness.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Llanelli bus depot to close after 100 years




THE LLANELLI HERALD understands that the Llanelli Bus Depot at Inkermans Street will be closing its gates for good. 

The Bus Depot has served the local community for approximately 100 years, Drivers will now be sent to work from depots in Carmarthen, Swansea and Tycroes. 

All services will remain in the the town, this newspaper can confirm, and our reporter was told that there will not be any redundancies. 

One bus driver told us that he and he co-workers were “not completely happy”, but the unnamed source added “At least we still have jobs to go to.” 

Further updates are expected on this developing story.

Continue Reading


Two week national ‘Firebreak Lockdown’ announced for Wales from 6pm on Friday




MARK DRAKEFORD, The First Minister of Wales has announced a two week ‘fire break’ lockdown from Friday October 23 at 18:00 HRS, to last until Monday November 9 at 00:01 HRS

Mr Drakeford said: “This firebreak is the shortest we can make it. It must be sharp and deep in order to have the impact we need it to have on the virus.”

All non essential businesses, including tourism businesses will be told to close.

Businesses have been told that they will be given £1000 each automatically to help with the economic impact of the shutdown.

Mr Drakeford added that children will be the priority and that childcare facilities will open as normal. Primary schools will open after half term.

Secondary schools will be closed for a week after half term to help control the virus.

Universities will offer a mixture of face-to-face learning and learning via video link. Students must stay at their university accommodation during the lockdown.

Responding to the Welsh Government’s announcement of a Wales-wide lockdown, Paul Davies MS, the Leader of the Opposition in the Welsh Parliament, has called the lockdown “not-proportionate” and is calling on the Welsh Government to be “open and transparent” on the evidence to support a lockdown and if the First Minister is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns every month.

Paul Davies MS said: “Sadly, the First Minster has failed to get public support for this second Wales-wide lockdown, failing to be open and transparent about the evidence to justify this lockdown and what his actions will entail for the future.

“The Welsh Government also has to be honest that this road they are taking us down is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns. This is not a two-week break to solve the pandemic, it is likely that we will see regular lockdowns across the rest of the year. The Welsh Government must be clear what actions they are taking during the lockdown to prevent further Wales-wide lockdowns which will have a significant impact on people’s lives and livelihoods.

“However, the main concern is that this national lockdown is not proportionate. The impact on businesses in areas such as Powys, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion, who have the lowest rate of Covid-19 cases in Wales, will be severe at a time when they are desperately struggling to recover from the pandemic so far this year.

“The First Minister needs to urgently come to the Welsh Parliament and answer these questions, to face effective scrutiny by elected representatives and not run his government by media.”

Preseli Pembrokeshire MP, Stephen Crabb told The Herald: “The evidence to support an all-Wales lockdown is weak and I am sceptical that this so-called ‘fire-break’ will tackle the situation in those parts of Wales where infection rates have been out of control. The key issue for Welsh Government to address is what will be done differently after the firebreak ends in those parts of Wales where infection rates have spiralled out of control. Otherwise the whole of Wales risks being dragged back into a series of rolling lockdowns.

“As we saw earlier in the year, lockdowns come with huge costs in terms of harm to the economy and to people’s emotional and mental wellbeing. With the Welsh Government asking UK Government to fund this lockdown, I hope that as many businesses as possible get support they need quickly. Pembrokeshire’s hospitality businesses will be hit particularly hard by these latest restrictions and I will be fighting hard again to see that they are protected as the lockdown kicks in.”

Continue Reading


Drakeford to make decision on ‘fire-break’ lockdown in Wales by Monday




WALES is facing a national lockdown lasting at least two weeks in plans described as a “fire-break” by the first minister.

He said a decision was likely to be made on Monday, while talks continue with health officials, scientific advisors and councils over the weekend.
“Doing nothing is not an option,” he said.

Responding to the speculation First Minister, Mark Drakeford, is set to announce a ‘circuit-breaker’ lockdown in Wales, Welsh Conservative health spokesperson, Andrew RT Davies MS said: “I implore the First Minister to think again before heading down this path.

“The decision to lockdown Wales once again will have devastating consequences – from an economic and public health perspective – and should be the last resort.

“Only yesterday, the former director of communicable diseases at Public Health Wales, Dr Roland Salmon, said a circuit-breaker is likely to fail and the Welsh Labour Government should listen carefully to his warning.

“Earlier this week, Welsh Conservatives called for the urgent resumption of shielding in Wales with a substantial package of support to ensure the financial, physical and mental well-being of those most at risk is protected.

“This should be the immediate action taken by ministers along with prioritising PPE and testing in the problem areas in Wales such as hospitals, care home, universities and meat factories.

“It’s not too late for the Labour Government to reconsider and choose a different approach in Wales.”

Mr Drakeford warned that 2,500 people were now being infected with coronavirus every day in Wales, with critical care units in hospitals full.

“A successful fire-break would re-set the virus at a lower level,” he added.

Together with a new national set of rules for the whole of Wales after the fire-break period we would have slowed the virus down enough to get us through to Christmas.”
Plaid Cymru has been calling on Mr Drakeford to introduce the circuit-breaker without delay, while Labour at Westminster says a similar approach should be adopted in England.

Continue Reading