Connect with us


Sonic Youth beaten by 11 goals




THERE must be something in the water in Burry Port. It could be all those cockles, which are rich in iron, but whatever it is the town is producing some fine sports men and women at every level.

The under 15’s football team are no exception and on Saturday (Jan 14) they were on a roll as they travelled away to play Calsonic Youth. Burry Port started off well with Joshua Evans scoring the first goal, which put them on the front foot for the rest of the game. After only a few minutes Dafydd Morgan took a shot, which deflected off Cameron Williams into the top right corner to make it 2 – 0.

Dafydd Morgan managed to get on the score sheet himself when he broke through and fired a shot into the net for his first goal of the season. Joshua Evans claimed his 2nd goal with another lovely finish while Cameron Williams struck again with a great goal in the top corner to take the score to 5 – 0 at half time.

The visitors came out strongly in the second half and left Calsonic standing. Slick and strong passing of the ball sent Dylan Taylor in for a goal from a beautiful strike to make it number 6. Taylor was on form and he quickly set about getting his 2nd goal and Burry Port’s 7th.

Cameron Williams was not to be outdone. Taking a great ball from Daniel Mau he scored to make his hat trick and take Burry Port to an 8 – 0 lead.

By now Calsonic must have been hoping the ref would blow up but there was more misery to come for the home side. Full back Cameron Edwards managed to get on the end of a lovely cross from Cameron Williams in to the box and made it 9 – 0.

Bradley Crossman followed swiftly with a powerful header into the net to make it number 10. Tomos Harries came on as sub and within 5 minutes he had sealed the victory with a great run and a shot, which bounced in off the cross bar.

The final score was Calsonic 0 – Burry Port 11.

Speaking to The Herald after the match coach Tony Williams said: “The boys were on top form today. We were very pleased with that performance and the way each and every one of them played. You have to feel for Calsonic who did their best but we were just outstanding.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Gealey holds nerve to send Stars to victory



NEW DOCK STARS earned their first win of the season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Bynea 29-30 in a thrilling encounter.

The Dock held a 20-12 lead at half time and were ahead going into the final stages.

Bynea thought they had won the game when a late score put them 29-27 in front.

However, the Stars hit back with time running out and Adam Gealey scored a penalty to win the game for his side.

That gave him a personal haul of 15 points having already scored with two penalties and three conversions.

Dylan Jones scored two tries for the visitors and Jordan Evans got the other.

Bynea’s George MacDonald scored a hat trick of tries and Finlay Cooke also crossed the whitewash once.

James Branson added three conversions and one penalty.

It was a thrilling encounter as both sides belied their positions at the foot of the table.

On Saturday, January 22, the Stars travel to Llandybie while Bynea host Betws.

Photo by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Furnace seal second win



FURNACE UNITED earned their second win of the League 3 West B season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Llandybie.

Daf Green scored for the Cherries with other tries coming from Joe Qualters-Jones, Myles Harries, Joe Pugh and Jonny Roberts.

Green was successful with three of five conversion attempts and he also added a penalty.

Furnace held a 13-5 lead at half time as Llandybie scored an unconverted try in each half.

Ioan Rees and Josh Watkins scored the tries for the visitors.

On Saturday, January 22, Furnace United travel to Llandeilo while Llandybie host New Dock Stars.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Saunders stars as Llangennech beat Gowerton



LLANGENNECH remain unbeaten in League 1 West after they won 33-16 away at Gowerton on Saturday (Jan 15).

Liam Hutchings put the visitors ahead with the first try of the game and Tom Neale added the extras.

Gowerton then got themselves on the scoreboard with a penalty but Llangennech were soon back on the attack.

Jordan Saunders was next to go over and Neale again added the extras.

Gowerton reduced the arrears once more with another penalty and the visitors held a 14-6 lead when the half time whistle went.

Gowerton scored another penalty early in the second half to keep themselves in the game.

However, Llangennech kept applying the pressure and they soon had their third try with Saunders going over for his second and Neale adding his third conversion to make it 21-9.

Saunders then completed his hat trick to also earn his side a bonus point.

Gowerton responded with a converted try to bring the score back to 16-26 but it was the visitors who had the last word.

Greg George scored their fifth try of the game and Neale converted to complete the scoring.

Saunders was named man of the match for his try hat trick and the win sees them move on to 25 points, six points above second placed Newcastle Emlyn.

The sides are next in action on Saturday, January 29, when Llangennech host third placed Felinfoel while Gowerton travel to Aberystwyth.

Continue Reading