Connect with us


Under 18s end tournament without a win



ON SUNDAY (Jan 22), Carmarthen’s U18 team travelled to Swansea to take part in their annual hockey tournament. Carmarthen had a strong team going into their three games.

The first game w as against an experienced Gwent Firsts team. Gwent took possession in the first half, putting pressure on Carmarthen. Unfortunately, this opened up gaps in the defence, leading to two goals in the first half, 0-2.

With the first half in mind, Carmarthen held their ground in the second half, making goal scoring opportunities. However, the well-structured Gwent side breached the Carmarthen defence on two further occasions, 0-4.

The second game was against Bridgend. Carmarthen put pressure on the Bridgend defence straight away, breaking into their ‘D’ to make scoring opportunities. However, no goals were converted.

Bridgend kept the Carmarthen defence on their toes with quick breaks up the wing, but Carmarthen worked well as a team to prevent them scoring. Due to Carmarthen’s continuous strength and speed on the pitch, the game ended 0-0.

The final game was against a skilful and confident Whitchurch team. Carmarthen put all their final bursts of energy into this final game of the hockey weekend.

Carmarthen’s midfields and forwards linked up well using the wings to attack the Whitchurch defence.

However, Whitchurch didn’t make it easy for Carmarthen and possession bounced between the two sides.

The defence held their ground in multiple short corners to ensure the score didn’t change. The game ended 0-0 after a well-fought game between the two sides. Carmarthen chose Rhian Moremon as their Player of the Tournament.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Gealey holds nerve to send Stars to victory



NEW DOCK STARS earned their first win of the season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Bynea 29-30 in a thrilling encounter.

The Dock held a 20-12 lead at half time and were ahead going into the final stages.

Bynea thought they had won the game when a late score put them 29-27 in front.

However, the Stars hit back with time running out and Adam Gealey scored a penalty to win the game for his side.

That gave him a personal haul of 15 points having already scored with two penalties and three conversions.

Dylan Jones scored two tries for the visitors and Jordan Evans got the other.

Bynea’s George MacDonald scored a hat trick of tries and Finlay Cooke also crossed the whitewash once.

James Branson added three conversions and one penalty.

It was a thrilling encounter as both sides belied their positions at the foot of the table.

On Saturday, January 22, the Stars travel to Llandybie while Bynea host Betws.

Photo by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Furnace seal second win



FURNACE UNITED earned their second win of the League 3 West B season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Llandybie.

Daf Green scored for the Cherries with other tries coming from Joe Qualters-Jones, Myles Harries, Joe Pugh and Jonny Roberts.

Green was successful with three of five conversion attempts and he also added a penalty.

Furnace held a 13-5 lead at half time as Llandybie scored an unconverted try in each half.

Ioan Rees and Josh Watkins scored the tries for the visitors.

On Saturday, January 22, Furnace United travel to Llandeilo while Llandybie host New Dock Stars.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Saunders stars as Llangennech beat Gowerton



LLANGENNECH remain unbeaten in League 1 West after they won 33-16 away at Gowerton on Saturday (Jan 15).

Liam Hutchings put the visitors ahead with the first try of the game and Tom Neale added the extras.

Gowerton then got themselves on the scoreboard with a penalty but Llangennech were soon back on the attack.

Jordan Saunders was next to go over and Neale again added the extras.

Gowerton reduced the arrears once more with another penalty and the visitors held a 14-6 lead when the half time whistle went.

Gowerton scored another penalty early in the second half to keep themselves in the game.

However, Llangennech kept applying the pressure and they soon had their third try with Saunders going over for his second and Neale adding his third conversion to make it 21-9.

Saunders then completed his hat trick to also earn his side a bonus point.

Gowerton responded with a converted try to bring the score back to 16-26 but it was the visitors who had the last word.

Greg George scored their fifth try of the game and Neale converted to complete the scoring.

Saunders was named man of the match for his try hat trick and the win sees them move on to 25 points, six points above second placed Newcastle Emlyn.

The sides are next in action on Saturday, January 29, when Llangennech host third placed Felinfoel while Gowerton travel to Aberystwyth.

Continue Reading