Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Support worker on a fast track to Wales Care awards

Thomas Sinclair

Published

on

A YOUNG man who is carving out a high-flying career in social care is in the running for a top national award.

23-year-old Stefan Jenkins, who went to St John Lloyd Catholic School in Llanelli but now lives in Kidwelly, has been shortlisted for the prestigious 2018 Wales Care Awards, which aims to reward outstanding work in the care sector.

Stefan, who knew he wanted to work in social care from the age of 15 and was inspired by his nurse mum Rita Jenkins, now hopes his success at a young age will encourage more school leavers to consider a career in the care sector.

Since completing his Diploma in Health and Social Care at Coleg Sir Gar, Stefan has worked at Ty Hendy Care Home in Hendy, near Swansea, working with young adults aged 22-25 with autism and Asperger’s syndrome for the past four years.

“While my friends at school were looking at going into public service or engineering, I was the only boy on my social care course and I did feel a little bit different,” said Stefan.

“At first, I did have some mixed emotions about it, but I stuck with it and I am so grateful that I did as I now enjoy going into work every single day. It has boosted my confidence massively and it has enabled me to deal with so many different situations.

“I hope I show that young people can really succeed in the care sector and that it offers extremely rewarding career opportunities.”

Earlier this year, when he was just 22, Stefan was promoted to Team Leader and currently manages a team of 36 care and support workers.

He has now been nominated in the category for Excellence in Learning Disabilities Services sponsored by Home Instead Senior (Silver) and All Care South Wales.

On October 19 he will attend the glittering ceremony at Cardiff City Hall.

It is set to be an extra special event as it also marks the Wales Care Awards’ 15th anniversary, and the 25th anniversary of organisers, Care Forum Wales.

Stefan, who lives with his fiancée Jessica Griffin, was put forward by Ty Hendy manager Lorraine Jackson, who said that although one of the youngest on the Ty Hendy support team, Stefan thrives in making a difference every day.

“He ensures that the people we support are treated in a person-centred way and with respect and dignity. Stefan applies himself in a way that the people we support can relate to and enhances the quality of service we offer,” Lorraine added.

Stefan believes his age means he can relate to his clients, who all reside in Ty Hendy’s supported living flats, and helps him to support them to live their young lives as best they can.

“I like to get them out as much as possible and enjoying their lives as young people. I can relate to them as a young person and I try to look at different ways to keep them active and engaged, and so reducing any negative behaviours.”

Stefan has already helped to convert one other twenty-something to the care sector as his fiancée Jessica, 24, recently left her job as a manager in a fast food restaurant to also join the Ty Hendy care team.

“Jessica started working at Ty Hendy two months ago and she is absolutely loving it!”

With their wedding planned for next April, the couple are delighted by Stefan’s nomination and the boost it has given him.

“For my age to be nominated I think is absolutely brilliant, I am a young lad and I feel I have a great future in social care ahead. It is so rewarding and so if any young people are thinking about making it their career, I would definitely say go for it!”

Mario Kreft MBE, the Chair of Care Forum Wales, said the Wales Care Awards had gone from strength to strength.

He said: “This year’s ceremony is an even more special occasion because it marks the 15th anniversary of the Wales Care Awards and the 25th anniversary of Care Forum Wales and the event is now firmly established as one of the highlights in the Welsh social care calendar.

“The aim is to recognise the unstinting and often remarkable dedication of our unsung heroes and heroines across Wales.

“The care sector is full of wonderful people because it’s not just a job it’s a vocation – these are the people who really do have the X Factor.

“If you don’t recognise the people who do the caring you will never provide the standards that people need and never recognise the value of the people who need the care in society.

“We need to do all we can to raise the profile of the care sector workforce – they deserve to be lauded and applauded.”

News

Four charged with conspiracy to supply class A drugs

Carli Newell

Published

on

FOUR people have been arrested and charged as part of an investigation into an organised crime gang supplying class A drugs from London to Aberystwyth, Llanelli and Swansea.

Dyfed-Powys Police, with support from The Met Police, carried out warrants at four addresses on July 21, resulting in four arrests.

Mohammed Osman, aged 23, Yonis Mohammed, aged 20, Salman Mohamoud, aged 23 – all from Islington – and Amy Simmons, aged 21, from Dulwich were charged with a total of 12 offences:

  • Mohammed Osman: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine,
  • Yonis Mohammed: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.
  • Salman Mohamoud: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine
  • Amy Simmons: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.

All four appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Friday, July 23, where they were remanded in custody. They are due to appear at Swansea Crown Court for their next hearing on August 20.

The investigation is being carried out by the Ceredigion Serious and Organised Crime Team, Aberystwyth CID and the Operation Orochi command of the Met Police.

Detective Sergeant Steve Jones said: “These four arrests and charges are the result of a coordinated approach to target an organised crime gang we believe is running a county lines operation into the Dyfed-Powys Police force area.

“We will continue to work diligently to disrupt gangs of this kind, to prevent the supply of illegal substances into our community.

“I would like to thank all officers involved, as well as the Met Police for their part in the operation.”

Continue Reading

News

New children’s play area in Bryn as part of new council housing development

Carli Newell

Published

on

A NEW children’s play area has opened in time for the summer holidays in Bryn, Llanelli as part of a new £5.9million council housing development.

Carmarthenshire County Council is building 32 new homes on land close to the Dylan housing estate in Bryn.

The scheme will be made up of 22 two-bedroom homes, four two-bedroom bungalows and six four-bedroom homes and is part of the council’s ongoing drive to deliver more affordable homes across the county. It has been part funded through the Welsh Government’s Affordable Housing Grant.

The development also includes a new children’s play area, funded by the council in partnership with Llanelli Rural Council, which will take over the running and maintenance of the play area on completion.

Executive Board Member for Housing Cllr Linda Evans said: “I am delighted the park has been completed in time for the summer holidays for the local children to enjoy.

“We are committed to delivering more affordable housing across Carmarthenshire and this development will benefit dozens of families in Llanelli, as well as proving much needed facilities for the local community.

“I would like to thank the rural council for collaborating with this us on this and I hope the children are thrilled with it.”

Before designing the play area, the rural council liaised with local schoolchildren to find out what play equipment they wanted at their new park.

Llanelli Rural Council Chairman Cllr Tegwen Devichand said: “The council is delighted to be working in partnership with Carmarthenshire County Council to provide this wonderful new play area for the community.

“The opening of the play area couldn’t have been better timed to coincide with the school holidays. I hope the local children will enjoy the range of challenging play equipment on offer and that they have lots of fun using it over the summer.”

The housing development is due to be completed by the beginning of 2022.

Continue Reading

News

Burry Port Harbour lighthouse overhaul tops council’s £2million investment

Carli Newell

Published

on

A £2MILLION investment in Burry Port Harbour is nearing completion, topped off with the iconic lighthouse getting a fresh lick of paint.

Carmarthenshire County Council is behind a range of improvements to maintain and restore the historic harbour which is one of the county’s most loved and well visited beauty spots.

Restoration of the Grade II listed harbour walls, undertaken under the guidance of CADW, will conclude within the next few weeks.

The council has also been working alongside The Marine Group, which operates the harbour, to improve mooring facilities. They are working closely with fishermen to bid for funding for new commercial pontoon infrastructure.

It will add to investment made over previous years which saw the council spend almost £1.5million on new pontoons, and over £300,000 in maintaining the harbour railings and bridge.

A local operator has agreed a lease for a cafe and public toilets on east side of Harbour, and the refurbishment of the old RNLI harbour office has recently started by The Marine Group (TMG) to create a harbour-side coffee house.

TMG has also invested in a state-of-the-art dredger which arrived at the harbour last autumn. Dredging is well underway and will continue until targeted depths are reached.

Boat lifting equipment and new fuelling points are also planned.

The council has introduced community safety officers to patrol the harbour assisting tourists and local people during the summer months, especially to advise around Covid regulations, as part of a tourism hotspot plan to take care of issues such as parking, litter, street cleansing, enforcement and signage.

Temporary car parking surfacing has also been laid on the east side along with new pay and display facilities ahead of a wider multi-million regeneration plan that will transform the harbour with a mix of housing, commercial and leisure space covering around 13 acres of prime development site.

Cllr Peter Hughes Griffiths, Executive Board Member for Culture, Sport and Tourism, said: “We are proud of our continued investment in Burry Port Harbour. We are spending millions restoring and maintaining historic features that are much-loved by local people and visitors who come from far and wide to enjoy what the harbour has to offer.

“We continue to work closely alongside The Marine Group and Pembrey and Burry Port Town Council to plan and prioritise works and ongoing maintenance. We are as keen as everyone else to ensure it is well-maintained and continues to be a place people can enjoy.

“We appreciate that there has been some upheaval during these improvement works but we ask people to understand that our investment will make Burry Port Harbour an even better place for the future.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK