Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

‘Wicked’ businessman jailed for sex with underage girl

Published

on

A LLANELLI businessman who persuaded a 15-year-old girl to have sex with his friend while he watched—and then had intercourse with her himself–has been jailed for 10 years.

Jason Rees, aged 41, groomed the girl and managed to talk her into sending him nude photographs of herself which he kept.

Rees, of Innisfree, Erw Las, Llwynhendy, was found guilty after a trial at Swansea Crown Court of having sexual intercourse with her when she was 14 and 15, inciting her to engage in sexual activity with another man, and possessing indecent images of her.

The court heard how Rees first had intercourse with her at his then home in Swiss Valley.

The following year Rees took her ‘for a spin’ in his car and drove to a friend’s house.

She was shown pornographic films and then had sex with his friend while he sat next to them watching. After they had finished Rees announced ‘now it is my turn’.

Catherine Richards, prosecuting, said in September 2017 police examined her mobile telephone as part of a different inquiry. Officers found incriminating text messages and asked her if Rees had ever done anything to her.

She told them what had happened and Rees was arrested.

Rees denied any of the incidents had happened and told the jury he thought the nude photographs were of a different girl.

But the jury rejected his account and unanimously convicted him of all the charges.

Judge Paul Thomas described Rees as wicked.

“You set her up with a friend so he could have sex with her while you watched.

“You thought only of yourself. You did not give a damn about her.

“Your defence was laughable. You thought you could fool the jury. You did not.”

Rees, who ran a clothing company in Gorseinon, was also ordered to register with the police as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

News

Rescuers attend to injured construction workers in New Dock Street

Published

on

A MULTI AGENCY rescue operation is underway in Llanelli involving all three emergency services after an incident at a construction site.

Workers have been at the New Dock Street site, working for around three years, The Herald understands.

The Herald has been told that a piece of plant malfunctioned causing the emergency, which happened earlier this evening (Mar 19).

Four fire engines and three ambulances are at the scene, our reporter said.

A specialist line rescue team is involved in the recovery operation.

An eye-witness told the press that three workers have been affected.

The source said: “Concrete had just been mixed and had been poured into a skip which was then lifted using a machine. The concrete was being lowered into the hole, it’s probably about 20ft and then the machine toppled over.”

He added: “Two men climbed out of the hole on their own and as a precaution the third man was told to stay down there. The workers were told to leave the site as a precaution.”

At least one person has been seen being taken away in an ambulance.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Llanelli: Met Bar incident investigated

Published

on

AN INCIDENT which resulted in a 51-year old man having to go hospital is being investigated by Dyfed-Powys Police.

The man has been discharged from Glangwili Hospital but police are looking in to how the incident happened and how the man fell down some steps.

The incident happened outside the Met Bar in Llanelli on Saturday night (Mar 16).

A spokeswoman for Dyfed-Powys Police told the Herald: “At approximately 10.55pm on Saturday March 16, officers responded to reports of an injured man outside The Met Bar, Station Road, Llanelli, after he’d fallen down some steps at the location.

“Ambulance was at scene, and the 51 year old man was conveyed to Glangwili Hospital with what was thought to have been a serious head injury. He was then later discharged from hospital, and the head injury was no longer believed to be serious.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact police by calling 101 and quoting DPP/3011/16/03/2019/02/C. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908

Continue Reading

News

Reports damning for City Deal management

Published

on

THE PUBLICATION of two reports on Friday, March 15, has shone a light into corners of the Swansea Bay City Deal.

The first report released, prepared on behalf of the UK and Welsh governments, written by Actica Consulting, suggests a combination of concerns over funding and of the “much-publicised concerns on the wellness village (Delta Lakes, Llanelli, the single largest project) could cause a loss of confidence within the region”

In the meantime and, The Herald understands, over the anguished objections of the Regional

Office/Carmarthenshire County Council, the second report – an internal review – was circulated to county councillors in Pembrokeshire this morning.

The second report makes for grim reading.

The report lays bare the amount of distrust between the City Deal partners, particularly between Neath Port Talbot and Pembrokeshire councils on the one side, and Carmarthenshire County Council on the other.

Each report highlights deficiencies in the management of the Deal, which Carmarthenshire County Council and its controversial CEO Mark James are meant to lead.

Familiar to those who have kept a close watch on the activities of Carmarthenshire County Council are complaints of a lack of transparency and openness in the way the City Deal has been managed to date.

Particular criticism is made of two key aspects of the project: that under Mr James’ leadership the Deal has failed to consider the City Deal as a truly regional opportunity and focussed on building individual, local projects of limited regional value; the second major criticism is the failure of leadership given to the project and an abject lack of clear financial processes and accountability.

In spite of an attempt to spin the ‘success’ of two elements of the deal, Swansea Waterfront and Yr Egin, it is worth noting that Yr Egin was only tacked on to the City Deal when already underway because UWTSD revealed it couldn’t afford to complete the project on its own as it had promised.

Cllr Rob James, the Leader of the Labour Group on Carmarthenshire County Council told The Herald late on Friday afternoon: “I am pleased that this review has highlighted many of the concerns that we have raised on governance.

“Frankly, the report validated our actions to date.

“Trust has broken down between partners and public confidence in one of the projects, in particular, has taken a big hit.

“There are clear lessons that need to be learnt and this report highlights several of them. I now hope that the administration in Carmarthenshire consider the review in full and ensure that radical changes on governance are delivered immediately.”

Cllr Rob Stewart, Chairman of the Swansea Bay City Deal Joint Committee, said: “This review was carried out alongside the UK and Welsh Government’s independent review of the City Deal programme and sought to assure that it will deliver full economic benefits for the region.

“The findings and recommendations of the internal review will be formally considered by the SBCD Joint Committee at the next meeting.

“Looking to ensure governance is as robust as possible reflects that we’re still in the very early stages of a 15-year programme, but we’re ready to support any recommendations that would benefit the region’s economic prosperity in future by speeding up the City Deal’s delivery.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK