Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

No trial for Llanelli hacker

Published

on

A LLANELLI man will not face trial on a charge of blackmail following his participation in a major hack of telecoms firm TalkTalk.

The charge was formally dropped at the Old Bailey on Tuesday (Jan 28).

Daniel Kelley, 21, from Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, had already entered guilty pleas to eleven charges relating to the targeted security breach, during which hackers stole the personal data of over 150,000 customers.

The blackmail charge related to an alleged demand for bitcoins as a ransom.

In November 2015, a 17-year-old boy admitted posting details of a chink in the firm’s online security, sparking the breach.

In a message posted to code-sharing website Pastebin, a group claiming to be behind the attack shared some of the data it said it had appropriated. In these messages lie customer records that display names, emails and also passwords.

One particular file suggests that when some users changed their password via the TalkTalk website, the new value was stored in plaintext — meaning it may not have been secured in any way. TalkTalk admits on its website that “not all of the data was encrypted,” and that appears to cover sensitive data like passwords and possibly even credit card and bank details.

TalkTalk is said to have lost £77m following the hack and has since updated its security systems and protocols.

In November 2018, two others, Matthew Hanley, 23, and Connor Allsopp, 21, both from Tamworth in Staffordshire, admitted their roles in the massive 2015 data breach which saw 156,959 accounts accessed.

Hanley, described in Court as a “dedicated hacker”, shared details of more than 8,000 customers with Allsopp.

At the Old Bailey, Hanley was jailed for 12 months and Allsopp for eight.

The court accepted that neither Hanley nor Allsopp had exposed the vulnerability in TalkTalk’s systems but joined in at different times.

Allsopp admitted supplying customer details to another user for fraud as well as the necessary files for hacking.

In the case against Daniel Kelley, the Court heard evidence that he was suffering from depression and prosecuting barrister, Peter Ratliff, submitted that when those circumstances were taken into account it was not in the public interest to proceed to trial.

Kelley’s hacking offences also involved half a dozen other organisations, including Coleg Sir Gar, where he was a student.

Kelley will now be sentenced on February 25.

News

Gigabit broadband voucher scheme boost for Wales

Published

on

THE UK’s Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme is to be given a boost in Wales thanks to a new partnership between the Welsh and UK Governments. Ministers from both Governments are now urging Welsh businesses and communities to apply for the funding to get gigabit speeds.

The announcement follows an agreement between the UK and Welsh Governments, and reflects the higher costs of deploying fibre infrastructure in Wales, as a result of the country’s topography and the location of premises.

The UK Government’s Gigabit broadband vouchers – worth up to £2500 – are currently available to small businesses and surrounding local communities to contribute to the installation costs of a gigabit-capable broadband connection.

Under the new arrangements, the Welsh Government will provide an additional £3,000 for businesses up to a certain size and an additional £300 per residential property. This means that for group* projects in Wales up to £5,500 is available per business, compared with £2,500 elsewhere in the UK. Up to £800 will now be available per residential property in Wales, compared with £500 elsewhere.

Deputy Minister for Economy Lee Waters said: “Although the vast majority of premises in Wales can now access superfast broadband, we are working hard on assisting the remaining five per cent that cannot access it and where commercial companies have no plans to reach. There is no one size fits all solution to reach the final premises, and the Gigabit Broadband Voucher scheme is an important part of a suite of measures to achieve this.

“This voucher scheme can provide a vital funding source for group connectivity projects, and could be of great benefit to communities currently without access.
I’m pleased we’ve been able to work with the UK Government to provide an enhanced scheme for Wales, taking into account the particular challenges we face here with geography and the location of premises.”

UK Minister for Digital Margot James said: “This exclusive scheme for Welsh businesses and communities is a vital part of our modern Industrial Strategy and build a Britain that is fit for the future. Working with the Welsh Government, together we can make sure that everyone in Wales has the connectivity they need for the digital age.”

The voucher scheme forms part of a package aimed at improving connectivity in Wales. The Welsh and UK Government funded £200 million Superfast Cymru programme has already taken superfast broadband speeds to more than 733,000 Welsh homes and businesses commercial companies had no plans to cover. The Welsh Government is also investing a further £22.5 million to reach an additional 26,000 premises and the UK Government is introducing a Universal Service Obligation** that will make fast broadband a legal right for every home and business in Wales by 2020.

Continue Reading

News

Rescuers attend to injured construction workers in New Dock Street

Published

on

A MULTI AGENCY rescue operation is underway in Llanelli involving all three emergency services after an incident at a construction site.

Workers have been at the New Dock Street site, working for around three years, The Herald understands.

The Herald has been told that a piece of plant malfunctioned causing the emergency, which happened earlier this evening (Mar 19).

Four fire engines and three ambulances are at the scene, our reporter said.

A specialist line rescue team is involved in the recovery operation.

An eye-witness told the press that three workers have been affected.

The source said: “Concrete had just been mixed and had been poured into a skip which was then lifted using a machine. The concrete was being lowered into the hole, it’s probably about 20ft and then the machine toppled over.”

He added: “Two men climbed out of the hole on their own and as a precaution the third man was told to stay down there. The workers were told to leave the site as a precaution.”

At least one person has been seen being taken away in an ambulance.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Llanelli: Met Bar incident investigated

Published

on

AN INCIDENT which resulted in a 51-year old man having to go hospital is being investigated by Dyfed-Powys Police.

The man has been discharged from Glangwili Hospital but police are looking in to how the incident happened and how the man fell down some steps.

The incident happened outside the Met Bar in Llanelli on Saturday night (Mar 16).

A spokeswoman for Dyfed-Powys Police told the Herald: “At approximately 10.55pm on Saturday March 16, officers responded to reports of an injured man outside The Met Bar, Station Road, Llanelli, after he’d fallen down some steps at the location.

“Ambulance was at scene, and the 51 year old man was conveyed to Glangwili Hospital with what was thought to have been a serious head injury. He was then later discharged from hospital, and the head injury was no longer believed to be serious.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact police by calling 101 and quoting DPP/3011/16/03/2019/02/C. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK