Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Tribute to musician raises over £3,000 for charity

Published

on

OVER 150 music fans gathered in Llanelli over the weekend to celebrate the life of one of their own, raising over £3,000 for charity in the process.

Three live bands performed at the Thomas Arms on Saturday evening (Jan 26) to pay tribute to Clive Jones, who played in many bands over the years. Clive, who was 69, lost his battle with Parkinson’s Disease in May last year.

He is survived by his wife, Heulwen; his two sons, Richard and Greg; and his grandson, Ryan. A guitarist, Clive’s passion for music started in the 1960s, when he was a member of Llanelli bands including The Spartans and Freshwater Spring. He continued to gig with many other bands, alongside friends including ex-Llanelli policeman Robert Lewis, nurse practitioner Jonathan Lewis, and Wes Reynolds, of the Hall Street Blues barber shop.

Musicians at the tribute night included Robert, Jonathan, Phil Lewis, Mike Arthur, Chris Seager, Rob Seager, Andrew Morgan, Dennis Evans, Tony Rees, Greg Meyrick and Sharon Wells. Alun Rees, of Cadno Music on John Street, provided support with sound. All proceeds from the event will go to Parkinson’s UK, with over £3,000 having been raised.

Heulwen said: “It was a wonderful way to celebrate the life of my dear husband, Clive. It’s what he would’ve wanted – a night of live music, family, friends and laughs.

“But it wouldn’t have happened without people like Alison Trow, John Trow, Robert Lewis, Helen Lewis and others, who helped organise the event.”

Robert Lewis said: “Clive was like the older brother I never had. When I was growing up, I remember him helping out at my parents’ shop, Falcon Music on Park Street. He was a constant figure in my life, who is hugely missed by so many people.

“I was honoured to play his beloved Fender Stratocaster at the tribute night.”
Reverend Eldon Phillips oversaw an auction on the evening, which included a signed shirt and ball from the Scarlets, a signed Mark Knopfler box set, and a painting by Llanelli artist Patricia Hazard.

Clive was brought up on Lakefield Road in Llanelli. He married Heulwen in 1970, later living in Swiss Valley, New Road and Pwll. He worked for companies including Llanelli Steel, British Steel in Trostre, and European Profiles in Llandybie. Clive also spent time working in Abu Dhabi in the early 1980s.

News

Gigabit broadband voucher scheme boost for Wales

Published

on

THE UK’s Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme is to be given a boost in Wales thanks to a new partnership between the Welsh and UK Governments. Ministers from both Governments are now urging Welsh businesses and communities to apply for the funding to get gigabit speeds.

The announcement follows an agreement between the UK and Welsh Governments, and reflects the higher costs of deploying fibre infrastructure in Wales, as a result of the country’s topography and the location of premises.

The UK Government’s Gigabit broadband vouchers – worth up to £2500 – are currently available to small businesses and surrounding local communities to contribute to the installation costs of a gigabit-capable broadband connection.

Under the new arrangements, the Welsh Government will provide an additional £3,000 for businesses up to a certain size and an additional £300 per residential property. This means that for group* projects in Wales up to £5,500 is available per business, compared with £2,500 elsewhere in the UK. Up to £800 will now be available per residential property in Wales, compared with £500 elsewhere.

Deputy Minister for Economy Lee Waters said: “Although the vast majority of premises in Wales can now access superfast broadband, we are working hard on assisting the remaining five per cent that cannot access it and where commercial companies have no plans to reach. There is no one size fits all solution to reach the final premises, and the Gigabit Broadband Voucher scheme is an important part of a suite of measures to achieve this.

“This voucher scheme can provide a vital funding source for group connectivity projects, and could be of great benefit to communities currently without access.
I’m pleased we’ve been able to work with the UK Government to provide an enhanced scheme for Wales, taking into account the particular challenges we face here with geography and the location of premises.”

UK Minister for Digital Margot James said: “This exclusive scheme for Welsh businesses and communities is a vital part of our modern Industrial Strategy and build a Britain that is fit for the future. Working with the Welsh Government, together we can make sure that everyone in Wales has the connectivity they need for the digital age.”

The voucher scheme forms part of a package aimed at improving connectivity in Wales. The Welsh and UK Government funded £200 million Superfast Cymru programme has already taken superfast broadband speeds to more than 733,000 Welsh homes and businesses commercial companies had no plans to cover. The Welsh Government is also investing a further £22.5 million to reach an additional 26,000 premises and the UK Government is introducing a Universal Service Obligation** that will make fast broadband a legal right for every home and business in Wales by 2020.

Continue Reading

News

Rescuers attend to injured construction workers in New Dock Street

Published

on

A MULTI AGENCY rescue operation is underway in Llanelli involving all three emergency services after an incident at a construction site.

Workers have been at the New Dock Street site, working for around three years, The Herald understands.

The Herald has been told that a piece of plant malfunctioned causing the emergency, which happened earlier this evening (Mar 19).

Four fire engines and three ambulances are at the scene, our reporter said.

A specialist line rescue team is involved in the recovery operation.

An eye-witness told the press that three workers have been affected.

The source said: “Concrete had just been mixed and had been poured into a skip which was then lifted using a machine. The concrete was being lowered into the hole, it’s probably about 20ft and then the machine toppled over.”

He added: “Two men climbed out of the hole on their own and as a precaution the third man was told to stay down there. The workers were told to leave the site as a precaution.”

At least one person has been seen being taken away in an ambulance.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Llanelli: Met Bar incident investigated

Published

on

AN INCIDENT which resulted in a 51-year old man having to go hospital is being investigated by Dyfed-Powys Police.

The man has been discharged from Glangwili Hospital but police are looking in to how the incident happened and how the man fell down some steps.

The incident happened outside the Met Bar in Llanelli on Saturday night (Mar 16).

A spokeswoman for Dyfed-Powys Police told the Herald: “At approximately 10.55pm on Saturday March 16, officers responded to reports of an injured man outside The Met Bar, Station Road, Llanelli, after he’d fallen down some steps at the location.

“Ambulance was at scene, and the 51 year old man was conveyed to Glangwili Hospital with what was thought to have been a serious head injury. He was then later discharged from hospital, and the head injury was no longer believed to be serious.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact police by calling 101 and quoting DPP/3011/16/03/2019/02/C. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK