Connect with us


Town slip up in title bid





A WEEK can be a long time in football, Llanelli Town will be the first team to tell you this. Rewind seven days to an important home win against Tredegar and all was looking rosy. Especially as all their promotion rivals were dropping points.

Fast forward seven days and following a poor display at Spytty Park on March 7, it`s squeaky bum time again. Town’s third away defeat of the season was compounded by second placed Ammanford thumping Cardiff Grange Harlequins 5-1 on their home patch and Cardiff Corinthians inflicting a similar scoreline at Treharris Athletic Western.

With Ammanford also racking up a 3-1 win at today’s opponents Lliswerry in midweek, the gap between them and the Reds has now been reduced to five points and Ammanford still have three games in hand. The meeting between the sides at Stebonheath on Wednesday is now a massive fixture for both teams, and could well have a crucial bearing on the ultimate destination of the league title.

The Lizards were reduced to eight players during their clash with Ammanford following three red cards, and the Reds might have taken heart from this, but instead failed to display any flair or imagination in their overall play and can have few complaints at the final outcome. They barely tested Ross Davies in the home goal, their only success stemming from the penalty spot in the second half.

By that stage they were already three down, with the first home goal arriving after just 8 minutes when a far post cross by Dan Edwards found an unmarked Joe Gibson who directed his header past keeper Craig Richards.

Seven minutes later the lead was doubled. A cross-field ball which was not dealt with by the visitors defence found its way into the path of Edwards, and he unleashed a 30 yard rocket into the bottom corner.

Little had been seen of the Reds as an attacking force, their nearest effort stemming from captain and central defender, Lee Bevan, whose shot from distance rebounded off the crossbar.

Luke Jones saw an effort deflect off a home defender for a corner when Mark Napieralla found him in the box, before Lliswerry stretched the lead further six minutes from the break when Joe Howells did well to keep the ball alive before crossing into the middle, where some more slack marking allowed Safian Skupinski a free header beyond Richards.

In an attempt to inject some urgency into their play, the visitors introduced Rhys Powell and Bartome Bauza in place of Napieralla and Ross Jones at the start of the second half, and there were signs of improvement with Robert Thomas just failing to connect with an Anthony Owens delivery across the goalmouth.

When the Lizards countered, Kazeem Kareen might have done better when put clear by Howells but directed his finish off target.

The Reds did manage to reduce the deficit on 62 minutes through the award of a penalty when Owens was pulled back in the area, and it was duly converted by Richard Lewis.

At the other end, Howells somehow contrived to strike the underside of the bar when it seemed easier to score, while Richards did well to push clear a strike on goal by Skupinski.

This was about the end of any further meaningful action by either side, but the Reds well be bitterly disappointed with this lacklustre performance, and will certainly have to pull out all the stops for the crucial visit of Ammanford on Wednesday evening, kick off 7.45 p.m.

Next Saturday, Treowen Stars are their opponents at Stebonheath with a 2.30 p.m. kick off.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Pontarddulais Workmens seal fine victory in Snooker League



STEVE Dunn’s fine 73 break was the undoubted highlight of Pontarddulais Workmens’ solid 6-1 victory against Burry Port Legion in the Llanelli Snooker first division.

Mike Footman, Keri Davies, Adam Griffiths and Kevin Sullivan added winning support while just Rich Nurse averted the whitewash for the Legion, for whom Rob Davies made a 32 break.

Dan Wells also made a 70-plus break, a fine 74 knock as Matchroom Reds also won 6-1, R.Evans, J.Thomas, L.Grey and C.Price also on top against Upper Tumble Blues; only E.Rees won for the visitors.

Similarly, just Nigel Lewis won as his side, Ponthenri crashed 6-1 at Gorseinon Workmens’; D.Williams (47), J.Wilcox, M.Dodd and K.Murrells added wins for the Brighton Road cuemen.

It was closer at Trimsaran, where the home side edged a 4-3 win against Llandybie Social A, courtesy of J.Tudor, C.Thomas (30) and L.Lloyd; Lindsey Pugh, Huw Morgan and Wyn Major hit back for the latter.

Andrew Hatto and Gavin Lewis were on the ball for Morfa, who went down 5-2 at Snooker World Whites; Andrew Whitfield (51 break), B.Thomas, J.Gimblett and A.Krysa added wins for the Ammanford side ,who, in a busy week, also won 4-3 at Pontyberem, thanks to A.Krysa, C.Jackson and B.Thomas; E.Bowen, S.Caton and A.Harris replied for ‘Berem.

Pontyberem also during the week were beaten 5-2 at Cross Hands B, whose frame winners were A.Phillips, Dai Isaacs, Gary Stead and Paul Martin.

Llanesco enjoyed a 5-2 victory at Llanelli Cons A, following wins from P.Shoulder, L.Lloyd, D.Bohn and M.Stevenson; Cons’ winning duo were Mark Sargent and Gavin Quinnell.

Elsewhere, C.Jones and L.Jones (31) were on top for Reading Room Blues in the Burry Port side’s 5-2 defeat at Matchroom Whites, with C.Davies, D.Roberts, L.Davies and W.Bowen on song for the “Gwyns”.

In Division 2, D.Jones, D.Sigsworth and S.Wright edged an aggregate win by just 12 points for Llandybie RFC in a 4-3 result against Upper Tumble Reds, who hit back via Mike Sainty, S.Marsall and N.Allinson.

T.Rawlings, J.Dean and C.Hurley claimed a similar 4-3 win for Burry Port Reading Room Reds against Snooker World Blues; Chris Waters, Callum Fuge and Steffan Rees were on song for the visitors.

It also needed the aggregate to split the sides as Llandybie Social B saw off Cross Hands A 4-3, Steve Pearson, Ian Matthews and Howard Wood winning; Adam Rees, Scott Bundfuss and Elwyn Williams were on the ball for the latter.

Matchroom Blacks returned from their visit to Upper Tumble Reds clutching a 5-2 success, after Rhys Morgans, Dean Shoulder, Ryan Maides and James Anthony had all won their frames; Steve Marshall and R.Williams replied for the  hosts.

Bern Price, Ray Barney, G.Stollery and K.Gronow gave the Gremlin Club A a 5-2 victory against Bryn A; J.Townsend and J.Jones replying.

In other news, there were Cup wins for Llanesco (4-1 against Cross Hands A), also Llanelli Cons A (5-2 at Matchroom Blacks), and for Llandybie Social B (5-2 over Bryn B).

Continue Reading


Bury Port withstand Tenby fightback



BURY PORT had to withstand a strong second half comeback from Tenby United on Saturday (Nov 27) as they earned a 27-21 victory.

The Blacks had raced into a 27-0 at half time with tries coming from Lewis Daniel, David Booth, Bradley Crossman and Joshua Evans

Lee Evans added two conversions and a penalty as they built up a commanding lead.

In a game of two halves it was the Seasiders who started well in the second half and their play was soon rewarded.

Luke Dedman, Yannic Parker and Jack Broadhurst all scored tries for Tenby in the second half as they looked to get something from the game.

Gwion Jones converted all three tries from under the posts as the visiting Seasiders at least earned a losing bonus point for their efforts.

They were however left feeling that they could have won the game following their second half display.

They will look to put that right on Saturday, December 4, when they travel to Pontarddulais.

The win for Burry Port puts them top of the League 2 West table with 9 points from their opening two games.

On Saturday they will look for another win as they travel to Pontyberem.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Legg departs Llanelli Town



MANAGER Andy Legg has left Llanelli Town as the club seeks to make a number of changes.

Lee departed on Thursday evening (Nov 25) while coaches Gary Lloyd and Chris Thomas have also left their roles.

It comes just hours after the club announced that captain Kyle Copp had also left the club.

Kyle made 42 appearances for the Reds scoring 8 goals. He made his debut against Goytre back in August 2019.

The club had also announced on Tuesday that Zac Brown was leaving the club. He had played 41 times for the Reds scoring nine times.

Speaking of Legg’s departure a statement on the club’s social media pages reads: “Although not an easy decision given his club status and what he has achieved over the years here at Stebonheath Park we would all like to wish him the best and he will always receive a warm welcome here.

“With our club vision set out by chairman Wayne Stephens many changes will be made throughout the whole club over the Christmas period.

“We will announce Andy’s successor in due course. Thanks again Leggy.”

Commenting on his departure on Twitter, Andy said: “Just a quick message to say thank you the supporters for you support during my time at the club. We wish the club well.”

Llanelli Town currently sit in sixth place in the JD Cymru South table with six wins, five draws and four defeats in their 15 league games so far this season.

Legg’s last game in charge of the club was a 3-0 loss away at Goytre United.

They are next in action on Friday, December 3, when they face Goytre United in the reverse fixture at Stebonheath Park, kick off 7:30pm.

PHOTO by Llanelli Town

Continue Reading