Connect with us


Scarlets seal first win under Mooar



Scarlets 18-10 Connacht

SCARLETS produced a hard-earned 18-10 victory over Connacht to give Brad Mooar a victorious Parc y Scarlets debut in the Guinness PRO14.

First-half tries from Steff Evans and Paul Asquith, combined with eight points from the boot of fly-half Dan Jones was enough to get the Championship season off to a winning start on a wet and windy West Wales evening.

The Scarlets’ victory was based on a dogged defensive effort led by back-rower and man-of-the-match Josh Macleod.

The Pembrokeshire openside also claimed some crucial turnover penalties, while full-back Johnny McNicholl provided the cutting edge from deep before a monsoon descended on Llanelli in the second half.

Missing 15 players at the Rugby World Cup, Mooar fielded 13 home-grown players in his match-day 23, including a number of the region’s emerging talent.

Ryan Conbeer looked lively out wide, Dan Jones and Kieran Hardy showed maturity beyond their years at half-back, while Tom Phillips put in a typical workaholic shift in the back-row.

Centre and captain Steff Hughes also led by example at the heart of the action.

After soaking up an early period of Connacht pressure, Scarlets struck for the game’s opening try after 19 minutes.

It was started by a break from McNicholl, Asquith went close before Evans pounced in the corner from short range.

Photos by Darren Harries

The Scarlets extended their advantage six minutes before half-time.

An arcing run from that man McNicholl caused the alarm bells to ring in the visitors’ defence and then a superb dummy kick and pass from Hughes sent centre partner Asquith sliding in at the posts.

Jones’s conversion made it 12-0 before Connacht responded with a penalty through fly-half Conor Fitzgerald just before the break.

With the rain getting heavier and conditions deteriorating, the sides were finding it easier to play without the ball than with it and the Scarlets’ defence was in resilient mood.

Jones pushed the home side 15-3 ahead shortly after the restart, but a sustained period of pressure saw Connacht hit back when flanker Eoghan Masterson found his way over after a series of punishing drives.

Fitzgerald converted, but another Jones penalty moved the lead out to eight points and the Scarlets were able to see out the rest of the game for a morale-lifting triumph.

Scarlets’ next game sees them take on Glasgow on Friday (Oct 4) and they return to Parc Y Scarlets on Saturday (Oct 12) when they host Zebre.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Gascoigne entertains Llanelli



OVER 400 people were at attendance in the Selwyn Samuel Centre in Llanelli on Saturday (Jun 18) to see former England legend Paul Gascoigne talk about his life and footballing career.

Gazza had the crowd in stitches with his stories from his past and was visibly emotional with the crowd’s warm reaction to him being there.

At one point a member of the crowd asked him if he could play one last game for one team who would it be… his answer was Swansea City to the crowds delight.

His next event will be in Tenby on September 17. The event was kindly sponsored by RDH Contractors and Sylan Lakes holiday cottages in five roads.

Continue Reading


Ryan Giggs quits as Wales manager with ‘immediate effect’



EX Man-Utd winger has left his position as the manager of the national football team with ‘immediate effect’.

Giggs stepped back from his role in November 2020 following after being arrested.

49-year-old Giggs has been charged with assault and using controlling behaviour towards an ex-partner. A claim that Giggs has denied.

In a heartfelt statement on his decision, Giggs said: “After much consideration, I am standing down from my position as manager of the Wales men’s national team with immediate effect.

“It has been an honour and a privilege to manage my country, but it is only right that the Wales FA, the coaching staff and the players prepare for the tournament with certainty, clarification and without speculation around the position of their head coach.

“I do not want the country’s preparations for the World Cup to be affected, destabilised or jeopardised in any way by the continued interest around this case.

“I am sad that we cannot continue this journey together because I believe that this extraordinary group will make the country proud at our first World Cup since 1958.

“It is my intention to resume my managerial career at a later date.”

Following Giggs arrest in 2020, former Wales captain Robert Page took over as interim manager.

Under Page Wales beat Ukraine to earn themselves a place at Qatar World Cup for the first time in 64 years.

Giggs faces one charge of using controlling and coercive behaviour August 2017 and November 2020, one charge of assault causing actual bodily harm of his ex-girlfriend Kate Greville on November 1, 2020.

He also faces a charge of common assault on the victim’s sister.

Giggs denies all charges against him and will stand trial on August 8.

The trial is expected to last five days.

Following the announcement, a FAW spokesperson said: “The FAW places on record its gratitude to Ryan Giggs for his tenure as manager of the Cymru men’s national team and appreciates the decision he has taken, which is in the best interests of Welsh football,

“The full focus of the FAW and the Cymru men’s national team is on the Fifa World Cup in Qatar later this year.”

Continue Reading


Llanelli edged out as Ynystawe pull off mammoth chase



A SCORE of 331-4 would normally be enough for a team to pick up victory, but South Wales Premier Division 2 leaders Ynystawe had other ideas as they pulled off a remarkable chase on Saturday (Jun 4).

Llanelli had been asked to bat first after Ynystawe had won the toss and their total was underpinned by a brilliant unbeaten century from Iwan Rees.

The opener hit sixteen fours and four sixes in his knock of 153 which came off 146 balls.

He had good support from Steven Devonald who scored 29 and Rhydian Morgan who scored 20 (2 fours, 1 six).

Rees and Rhys Harris shared the best stand of the match as they put on 157 runs for the fourth wicket.

Harris hit 12 fours in his score of 87 from 74 balls but he was out to the bowling of Rhys Palmer.

Rhys Westcott also finished unbeaten on 18 from 11 balls as Ynystawe were set 332 to win the game.

In reply, opener Nathan Lee scored 20 before falling to Jac Rees who also then took the wicket of Morgan Hodges on a score of 23.

Carl Roberts played well for his half century, hitting eight fours in his score of 56 before being trapped leg before by Aled Gilley.

Andrew Beasley was run out on a score of 15 and that left Ynystawe on 140-4.

Thomas Morgan and Luke Garthwaite shared 93 runs for the fifth wicket. Both reached their half centuries but Morgan was out to Iwan Rees on a score of 50.

Rees also bowled Ceri Durke and Rhys Palmer was run out by Rhydian Morgan having hit a four and a six in a quickfire score of 15.

That left Ynystawe 275-7 and they only had six overs left to get their target.

Garthwaite was on a score of 75 when Palmer fell and he took control as he smashed his way to a century.

He finished unbeaten on 118 from 67 balls after hitting 20 fours and two sixes. The last of his fours won the game for the home side as they ended up winning with two overs to spare.

On Saturday, June 11, Llanelli host Cowbridge while Ynynstawe travel to Penarth.

Continue Reading