Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Two week national ‘Firebreak Lockdown’ announced for Wales from 6pm on Friday

Avatar

Published

on

MARK DRAKEFORD, The First Minister of Wales has announced a two week ‘fire break’ lockdown from Friday October 23 at 18:00 HRS, to last until Monday November 9 at 00:01 HRS

Mr Drakeford said: “This firebreak is the shortest we can make it. It must be sharp and deep in order to have the impact we need it to have on the virus.”

All non essential businesses, including tourism businesses will be told to close.

Businesses have been told that they will be given £1000 each automatically to help with the economic impact of the shutdown.

Mr Drakeford added that children will be the priority and that childcare facilities will open as normal. Primary schools will open after half term.

Secondary schools will be closed for a week after half term to help control the virus.

Universities will offer a mixture of face-to-face learning and learning via video link. Students must stay at their university accommodation during the lockdown.

Responding to the Welsh Government’s announcement of a Wales-wide lockdown, Paul Davies MS, the Leader of the Opposition in the Welsh Parliament, has called the lockdown “not-proportionate” and is calling on the Welsh Government to be “open and transparent” on the evidence to support a lockdown and if the First Minister is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns every month.

Paul Davies MS said: “Sadly, the First Minster has failed to get public support for this second Wales-wide lockdown, failing to be open and transparent about the evidence to justify this lockdown and what his actions will entail for the future.

“The Welsh Government also has to be honest that this road they are taking us down is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns. This is not a two-week break to solve the pandemic, it is likely that we will see regular lockdowns across the rest of the year. The Welsh Government must be clear what actions they are taking during the lockdown to prevent further Wales-wide lockdowns which will have a significant impact on people’s lives and livelihoods.

“However, the main concern is that this national lockdown is not proportionate. The impact on businesses in areas such as Powys, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion, who have the lowest rate of Covid-19 cases in Wales, will be severe at a time when they are desperately struggling to recover from the pandemic so far this year.

“The First Minister needs to urgently come to the Welsh Parliament and answer these questions, to face effective scrutiny by elected representatives and not run his government by media.”

Preseli Pembrokeshire MP, Stephen Crabb told The Herald: “The evidence to support an all-Wales lockdown is weak and I am sceptical that this so-called ‘fire-break’ will tackle the situation in those parts of Wales where infection rates have been out of control. The key issue for Welsh Government to address is what will be done differently after the firebreak ends in those parts of Wales where infection rates have spiralled out of control. Otherwise the whole of Wales risks being dragged back into a series of rolling lockdowns.

“As we saw earlier in the year, lockdowns come with huge costs in terms of harm to the economy and to people’s emotional and mental wellbeing. With the Welsh Government asking UK Government to fund this lockdown, I hope that as many businesses as possible get support they need quickly. Pembrokeshire’s hospitality businesses will be hit particularly hard by these latest restrictions and I will be fighting hard again to see that they are protected as the lockdown kicks in.”

News

Jail for man who live streamed himself speeding and dangerous driving

Avatar

Published

on

A MAN who live streamed himself on Facebook while speeding and driving dangerously has been jailed.

Justin Dean Jones, of Panteg in Llanelli, filmed himself driving at grossly excessive speeds and racing other cars on a number of occasions over the summer.

He then posted the videos to Facebook, which were sent to the Go Safe Road Harm and Casualty Reduction Enquiry Team by a concerned member of the public.

Dyfed-Powys Police PC Roger Jones investigated three videos filmed between July 2 and July 14, which clearly showing Jones using his mobile phone to film himself at the wheel.

The footage showed him speeding in a Vauxhall Astra and a BMW X5 in a 30mph zone on Glyncoed Road, Llandafen Road and Gelli Road in Llanelli, and reaching speeds of up to 120mph on the A484 Loughor link road, while overtaking other drivers.

In one video, the 30-year-old was seen overtaking other vehicles on pedestrian crossings in broad daylight, putting road users at a significant risk of harm.

Jones, who was holding the phone in one hand while driving, can be heard on the videos boasting about the performance of the vehicle.

As members of Road Safety Support (RSS), Go Safe sought the help of Steve Callaghan, the not-for-profit company’s forensic video analyst, to examine the footage.

Mr Callaghan conducted a thorough review of the evidence and was able to calculate the exact speeds that were driven in the incidents.

Jones was charged with three counts of dangerous driving, and was sentenced to 25 months in prison. He was also disqualified from driving for 62 months.

An anti-social behaviour destruction order has also been granted for the Astra and the BMW and is pending.

Sergeant Ian Price, of Go Safe, said: “The sentence of just over two years in prison and a five year ban from driving shows the high risk he poses to other road users.

“It is a clear message that this type of behaviour is unacceptable and ensures the removal of a dangerous driver from society and we hope that it gives him enough time to reflect on his actions in prison.

“We would like to thank Road Safety Support for helping us in this matter and ensuring this individual is no longer a danger to society over the next two years.”

Continue Reading

News

Police appeal following incident outside Bryn Primary School

Avatar

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for information on an incident outside Bryn Primary School.

It is believed a motorcyclist threw an egg through the back window of a police Go Safe van, which narrowly missed the officer within the vehicle.

The incident happened on Thursday November 26 at approximately 9.10am.

A police spokesperson said: “Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating an incident which occurred at 9.10am on Thursday 26th November 2020 in Llanelli.

“A casualty reduction officer in a Go Safe van was parked outside the Bryn Primary School observing the speed of vehicles travelling through the 20mph zone at a time when children were being dropped off.

“A motorcyclist has ridden from the nearby housing estate towards the rear of the van and thrown an egg through the open rear window, narrowly missing the officer inside. The motorcyclist has carried on towards the Bryn, travelling on the wrong side of the road causing oncoming traffic to take evasive action.

“Police are appealing for anyone who was in the area at the time and saw the incident to come forward. They would especially like to hear from anyone who was driving in the area and has a dashcam in their vehicle which may have footage of the incident or the motorcycle on it.  

“Anyone who has information which could help the investigation can contact Dyfed-Powys Police, either online at: bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk, or by calling 101. 

“If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.”

Continue Reading

News

Pubs, restaurants and cafes in Wales will be banned from serving alcohol from Friday

Avatar

Published

on

PUBS, restaurants and cafes in Wales will be banned from serving alcohol from Friday and will be unable to open to customers beyond 18:00 HTS.

First Minister Mark Drakeford announced the new rules to tackle a rise in coronavirus cases.

Cinemas, bowling alleys, bingo halls, museums and galleries will also need to shut from Friday.

Mr Drakeford said without changes there could be between 1,000 and

1,700 preventable deaths over the winter.

Businesses will be allowed to provide a takeaway service after 18:00 of food or non-alcoholic drinks.

First Minister Mark Drakeford made the announcement during the Welsh Government briefing at 12.15pm on Monday, November 30.

The new restrictions are modelled on Scotland’s Tier 3 restrictions – you can see more details of the announcement here and follow below for live updates from Mr Drakeford’s press conference.

Mr Drakeford said said the measures were based on advice from the UK’s Sage group of scientific advisors and would be reviewed on December 17.

“From 6pm on Friday, our national measures will be amended to introduce new restrictions for hospitality and indoor entertainment attractions,” he said.

“Pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes will have to close by 6pm and will not be allowed to serve alcohol. After 6pm they will only be able to provide takeaway services.

“From the same date, indoor entertainment venues, including cinemas, bingo halls, bowling alleys, soft play centres, casinos, skating rinks and amusement arcades, must close.

“Indoor visitor attractions, such as museums, galleries and heritage sites will also have to close. Outdoor visitor attractions will remain open.”

At Friday’s Welsh Government press conference, First Minister Mark Drakeford said that further restrictions on hospitality would be needed to ensure that there is enough headroom for Wales to relax coronavirus restrictions in time for Christmas.

He said the R number in Wales is now as high as 1.4 meaning the virus is spreading exponentially again.

He said that discussions were underway to finalise the details of the new arrangements and there would be a “major package of financial support”. He said more details would be announced on Monday.

He said: “The Cabinet has agreed to take further specific and targeted action to reinforce the current national measures we have place.

“We will focus these on places where we meet and where coronavirus thrives, drawing on the recent evidence from the UK Sage group of experts about what interventions have had the biggest impact on the virus.

” It has highlighted the positive impact of measures in the Scottish level three system and the English tier three restrictions.

” We are already doing many of these here in Wales. Any additional actions we will take will build on the Sage advice but will be bespoke to our unique circumstances.

“Cinemas, bowling alleys and other indoor entertainment venues will close.

“There will be new restrictions in the hospitality industry, which will come into effect next Friday.

“The sector has worked hard to put in place measures to protect the public and I know this will be a worrying time for all working in the industry.

“We will be working over the weekend with partners to finalise the details of the new arrangements and to put in place a further major package of financial support to respond to those changes.

“I will give further details about the package on Monday.

“Non-essential retail; hairdressers; gyms and leisure centres will continue to operate as now.

“These new arrangements will apply to the whole of Wales.”

Mr Drakeford said it was needed because there were very high rates in some parts of Wales.

He said: “All this is necessary because we need a further national effort to bring down rates in those parts of the country where they are high and to protect those areas from getting any worse, where cases are lower.

“A national approach can protect us all.”

He added: “We are particularly concerned about the increases we’re seeing in people under 25.
“Over the course of the pandemic, this is how the virus has spread – initially among younger age groups and then to older and more vulnerable groups.

Mr Drakeford said Wales would not be able to relax restrictions at Christmas unless he took action now.

He said: “Earlier this week, I met the First Ministers from Scotland and Northern Ireland and Michael Gove, from the UK Government, to discuss a common set of arrangements for Christmas.

“We agreed a five-day period between December 23 and 27 where travel restrictions would be lifted across the UK and up to three households would be able to form a Christmas bubble.

“Relaxing the restrictions will allow families to be together – maybe for the first time this year – for a few days over the festive period.

“But there is always a risk that when we come together we will spread or catch the virus.

“We therefore need to make sure have as much headroom as possible as we approach this Christmas period to enable us to relax these restrictions.

“This week we have seen restrictions tightened and extended in many countries across Europe.

“The UK Government has announced a strengthened tier regime, which comes into force in England from Wednesday. Northern Ireland today starts a new two-week lockdown and Scotland has extended the highest level restrictions.

“We too now have to use the coming weeks to reduce the spread of the virus and create more headroom for the Christmas period.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK