Connect with us


Tumble win full-blooded game with Amman United



TUMBLE maintained their unbeaten WRU Bowl record with a hard-fought win in a full-blooded tie at a rain-sodden Cwmamman Park.

After an hour’s delay, due to the referee inexplicably thinking the game had been called off, the game finally began, with full commitment by both sides in tough conditions.

Veteran full-back Steve Hewitt gave the Magpies the lead, slotting an early penalty to punish an Amman offside.

Tumble soon lost centre Scott Jones to a head-injury, Alex Jones on in his place, and, they were narrowly denied as wing Ellis Lewis almost squeezed over in the corner.

Amman outside -half Tom Caddell tied the scores with a 20th minute penalty, but the visitors were winning good ball, lock Ryan Lewis with some handy lineout ball, while Nathan Willard made some good yardage for his side.

Two more Amman offences saw Hewitt’s metronomic placekicking come to the fore again, in fact he did not miss a kick all game, slotting both to make it 9-3.

Amman were reduced by a yellow card in the second offence. Tumble ended the half on the front- foot, and centre Alex Jones’ break deserved to be finished off.

The Reds hit back on half time, Dan Jones breaking free, backrow-mate Alun Lewis chipping ahead, and scrum half Alex Williams narrowly denied for the corner score. Full-back Ciaran Watkins also showed some bright moments during the half for United.

With Nicky Allinson solid under the high ball, Amman were finding it hard to open up the Magpies’ defence.

It got a bit confrontational in the second half, and the referee after a few instances of “handbags at five paces” finally lost his patience, and Amman prop Rhys Philllips was red-carded for foul play.

This left Amman with no recognised front-row props as Tom Thorneycroft made the switch to the front-three.

Another fracas then blew up, and again, the Reds saw red as scrum-half Alex Williams this time received his marching orders.

Ironically, Amman’s remaining 13 players began to more than hold their own for the final 20 minutes.

A Tom Caddell penalty reduced the arrears to 9-6, but the visitors then nicked a crucial score as wing Ellis Lewis got through some weak-ish tackling to dive over with some twelve minutes to go. Steve Hewitt converted.

Amman’s depleted number finished off the stronger, Ceri Jones’ run opening up the gaps, then Alun Lewis made one of his trademark surging bursts.

Their cause was helped when Tumble also began to lose their discipline, and in their desperate defending, received two late yellow cards, scrum-half Iwan Morgan the second recipient, to level the sides as 13-apiece until the end.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Shingler set to make 200th appearance for Scarlets



SCARLETS’ Aaron Shingler is set to make his 200th appearance for the Scarlets on Friday night as his side take on Bennetton at Parc Y Scarlets in the United Rugby Championship.

Speaking to the press on Tuesday (Oct 19), Shingler said it would be a proud moment when he walked onto the pitch.

Scarlets go into the game on the back of two defeats against Leinster and Munster and Shingler said it had been a ‘difficult couple of weeks’ for the team.

He added that Friday’s game would be a ‘test of character’ as they look to get back to winning ways.

Scarlets take on Bennetton on Friday night, kick off 7:35pm, and they then have a break of over a month before their next United Rugby Championship game.

Coach Dwayne Peel also spoke to the media and added that it was important they picked up the win on Friday.

He went on to say that although he saw an improvement in the team in the Leinster game after defeat to Munster, there was still work to do.

Dwayne said: “The boys are disappointed. We felt that at half time (against Leinster) we were still in the game, we knew the game plan we had but we were disappointed we didn’t allow ourselves to do that. So we were disappointed but in a different way.

“Ten guys have now gone away to Wales so there is a different group of boys who will get an opportunity for this game.”

With Wales playing their autumn internationals following Friday’s game, the Scarlets are next in action on November 27 when they travel to South Africa for games against the Cell C Sharks and the Vodacom Bulls.

Continue Reading


Three in a row for Kidwelly



KIDWELLY Town earned their third straight win in Carmarthenhire League Division 1 on Saturday (Oct 16) as they came from behind to beat Tumble 4-1.

Tumble had lost their last three matches prior to Saturday’s game and it was they who took the lead when Garin Morris scored in the tenth minute.

Chris Cray equalised for Kidwelly and it remained 1-1 until half time.

Both sides knew the next goal would be crucial but it was the home side who got it as Rob Davis set up Alex Kay to score.

And just a minute later it was 3-1 as Connor Howells scored.

That all but won the game for the home side who made sure of the points in injury time as Kay fired in his second goal of the game from the penalty spot.

Their fourth win of the season sees them stay in eighth place but they are now only three points behind third placed FC Carmarthen.

On Saturday, October 23, Kidwelly travel to Llangennech who sit just a point and two places above them in the table.

Photo by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Llangennech youth go top



LLANGENNECH Youth moved to the top of the South East Carmarthenshire league on Saturday (Oct 16) as they thrashed Ammanford 47-0.

The home side ran in seven tries, six of which were converted, as they earned a third bonus point win in a row.

Rhys Harris scored a hat trick of tries and Kyle North also crossed the whitewash twice.

There were also tries for Ryan Guard and Kallum Morgan as the home side ran out comfortable winners.

Cameron Mills scored four of the conversion while the other two were scored by Tyler Payne.

The win sees Llangennech leapfrog Ammanford into top spot.

Llangennech will look to keep hold of their 100% record on Saturday, October 23, when they travel to Brynamman.

Photo by Darren Harries

Continue Reading