Connect with us


Trimsaran secure top spot



TRIMSARAN secured top spot in WRU Bowl Group G2 as they beat Furnace United 18-15 on Saturday (Oct 9).

A big crowd showed up at Caeffair for the top of the pool clash between the two sides and they were not disappointed.

Furnace kicked the game off and from the start it was the cherries who were in the ascendancy and were rewarded with an early shot at goal to make it 3-0 to the visitors.

Furnace were forcing Trim into mistakes and taking advantage of their ill-discipline. They were rewarded with another shot at goal which was missed. It was turning out to be a typical local derby game with both teams cancelling each other out for much of the first half.

The Trimsaran pack started to outmuscle the visiting pack at the set piece as the game approached the last 10 minutes of the first half and they were awarded a kickable penalty which outside half Corey Phillips converted to draw Trim level.

With half time approaching Trimsaran number 8 burst through the Furnace defence after some sustained pressure in Furnace territory and found second row Lee Thomas outside him who touched down with a superb long arm stretch to score the games’ first try. With the conversion missed it was 8-3 to the home team at half time.

Trimsaran kicked off a dramatic second half. Seven minutes into the second half Furnace were applying some pressure in the Trimsaran 22 when suddenly the referee in charge blew his whistle and halted play.

To the surprise of everyone in attendance he red carded Trimsaran second row and tryscorer Lee Thomas. This handed Furnace a numerical advantage early in the second half but some brilliant defence from Trim kept the cherries at bay.

10 minutes later Furnace finally had their first try of the game to even up the scoreboard at 8-8.

It only took a further 5 minutes for Furnace to retake the lead after a great finish from their Full back Myles Harries after a break down the right wing by Furnace before spreading the ball in the field of Play for Myles to touchdown.

With a man advantage it seemed Furnace were going to make it count. 5 minutes later Furnace were shown a yellow card after a dump tackle. This evened the game up and with the penalty Trim kicked to the touchline and drove their way over from a maul with prop Iwan Green emerging the try scorer.  The conversion was successful and once again we were all level at 15-15.

With 12 minutes to go both teams would have fancied their chances at getting within range and securing a win.

Trim kept their tails up and with some good play and a great break they got themselves up to kicking range. Furnace give the penalty away for offside and outside half Corey Phillips kept his nerve to give Trim the lead 18-15 with 5 minutes to go.

Trim were looking to control the final stages of the game and see it out but got penalised just inside their half and Furnace attempted a penalty which fell just short to equalise the game.

With 3 minutes left there was a scuffle near the halfway line and the referee again brought his red card out and give it to Trimsaran number 8 Steff Roberts in which seemed to be a case of mistaken identity as he was accused of striking an opponent but it didn’t appear to be him.

This gave Furnace one last chance to steal the victory from Trim. Some brave defence from the lineout from the home team looked to have turned the ball over but another pen was awarded to Furnace who kicked their way into the 22 and with a 2 man advantage fancied their chances to snatch victory. Trim competed well in the lineout though and forced a knock on from the cherries and with it a loud roar of delight from the vocal home support.

A fantastic Derby game played out by both teams which sees Trim secure top spot in group G2 with one game to spare.

That game takes place this weekend when Trimsaran welcome New Dock Stars to Caeffair on Saturday (Oct 16).

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


50 years on and Llanelli is still celebrating its most famous win!



REMINDERS of the ‘day the pubs ran dry’ in Llanelli have been creeping out of the woodwork for some time now and will reach a crescendo this week. 

They have preserved the scoreboard at Parc Y Scarlets that registered one of the most famous club victories over New Zealand and 9-3 was instantly immortalised by Max Boyce’s emotive poem about the final score. 

What happened on that dank day in Llanelli on Tuesday, 31 October, 1972, has passed inot the realms of myths and legends – along with the 15 players, six replacements and head coach. 

What Carwyn James, the mastermind of the 1971 British & Irish Lions victory in New Zealand, and his inspirational skipper, Delme Thomas, managed to achieve on that day will never be forgotten. 

Some of the team have sadly passed on, most notably JJ Williams and Phil Bennett in recent years, but Delme, fullback Roger Davies, flanker Gareth Jenkins and try-scorer Roy Bergiers were paraded on the pitch before the Scarlets played Leinster in the URC last weekend. 

They delighted old and new fans alike by talking about that great day per-match and will be centre stage later this week at a special dinner to formally celebrate the 50th anniversary of the most famous day in the history of one of the world’s most famous clubs. 

“It has always puzzled us why the other Welsh clubs who beat the All Blacks before us haven’t made more of a fuss about their victories. I’m not sure why everyone remembers what happened the day we won, but it is always a pleasure to recall what happened,” said Gareth Jenkins. 

“The game was televised, Max Boyce was making rugby even more popular through his songs, poems and humour and the British newspapers seemed to have discovered rugby as a sport to follow in greater depth. 

“The game was played against the backdrop of the Lions having won in New Zealand on their 1971 tour and that played a huge part in the interest taken in the game. 

“Everyone wondered if Carwyn James, as our coach, could conjure up some more magic with his club side. He was a man ahead of his time in rugby terms and he masterminded everything. 

“There was romance and prestige involved in playing and beating the All Blacks. We were all amateurs in those day – half the team were working in the steel process and others were miners – and Llanelli was very much a working-class town. 

“I can still vividly remember the whole day. It was the most physical game I’ve ever played in – we’d never experienced anything like it as younger players. 

“The All Blacks have always been formidable, and they were quite formidable that day! It was an experience and a half to have played in such a brutal game and come away with a result. 

“It was special, very special, although we made a decision as a group of players that we would only meet every 10 years to celebrate. 

“I think this will be the last time we get together. Some of us have already passed on and who knows who will be left to mark the 60th anniversary!” 

It is one of those strange quirks of fate that more fuss has been made of Llanelli’s great day in 1972 than of the 1935 victory by Swansea, or the 1953 triumph of Cardiff and the 1963 Newport victory over the All Blacks. Memory fades over time, perhaps, but the special moments remain ingrained and get passed on to new generations of fans. 

Ian Kirpatrick’s New Zealand party were still smarting from their 2-1 series defeat on home soil by Carwyn’s magnificent pride of Lions a year earlier. Delme and Derek Quinnell had been part of that squad and were among five players who would graduate from the victorious Llanelli side to face the All Blacks in the Welsh side that met them later in the season. 

No fewer than seven of the Scarlets’ side played for Wales that season and three more won Wales B honours. They were a strong outfit, but were they up to beating the New Zealand? 

The All Blacks kicked off their tour with a routine 39-12 victory over Western Counties at Kingsholm the previous Saturday, while Llanelli hadn’t played for 10 days. Their dress-rehearsal had been a 21-16 defeat at London Welsh on 21 October. 

That month they had also been beaten at Neath and in September their colours were lowered at Cross Keys (18-6) and Hendy (18-16). Four days after their famous win they went to Richmond and lost, 18-9! 

But in the biggest game of most of their lives the Llanelli players more than measured up to the All Blacks and changed from local heroes into living legends. 

“We had a great side. Think of the names; Derek Quinnell, Bennett, Barry Llewellyn, Gareth Jenkins, Ray Gravell, JJ Williams,” recalled Delme. 

“I remember telling them before we went out on the field that of all the honours I’d won in my career, I was willing to give them all away for that one game.” 

“It’s always special to play for your club, especially against an international side, and I’d never experienced anything like it in my life down at Stradey that day – the atmosphere that day was incredibly special, and I think that helped the players a hell of a lot.” 

If the atmosphere was white hot, the action was equally hot. A second minute penalty from Bennett hit the post, Lindsay Colling’s clearance was charged down by Roy Bergiers and the centre dived on the ball to score. 

“I still have visions of that moment. They are in slow motion – the kick hits the upright, I charged down the ball and it goes over the line and just says to me, ‘come and get me’,” recalled Bergiers. 

“As I ran back, in disbelief really, I thought to myself that now the battle really starts.” 

Bennett converted to make the score 6-0. Estimates of how many fans were at the ground range from 20-26,000, but they all erupted when the try was scored.  

It helped the home cause that New Zealand full back Joe Karam missed two kicks before making it third time lucy to gather his team’s only points. He would go on to kick five penalties in the 19-16 win over Wales, eclipsing Bennett’s four for his country a few weeks later. 

That made it 6-3 at the break. You could cut the tension with a knife as the All Blacks forwards battled for supremacy in a bruising and often brutal forward battle. Eventually, the Scarlets won another penalty eight minutes from time and up stepped Andy Hill. 

His kick from the 10 metre line earned him the most significant of the 207 points he scored that season and ensured the tourists had to score twice to win the game. 

When Bennett brought the game to an end with yet another magnificent kick to touch, it seem as though the whole of Llanelli ran onto the pitch. New Zealand had been beaten on Welsh soil for the first time since Newport’s 3-0 triumph in 1963. 

Delme Thomas being carried off in 1972

“At the end of the game Barry Llewellyn cam up to me and said we should carry off Delme on our shoulder,” recalled Derek Quinnell.

“That was the last thing I wanted to do after playing 80 minutes against the All Blacks. But he got him up there somehow and once I’d had enough I couldn’t drop him down because there were so many people around us.” 

The images of Delme being carried off shoulder high by his teammates, arms waving amid a sea of jubilant fans has become one of the iconic images from that great day.  

“The boys played exceptionally well and we were slightly lucky that we caught them in the first game in Wales which was the right time. They didn’t know what to expect,” added Delme. 

“It was a wonderful, wonderful day. Being carried off Stradey Park after the game was one of the greatest moments in my life. 

“I’d played 15 seasons in Llanelli but to have beaten the All Blacks meant everything – because to me they are the rugby nation of the world, particularly in those days.” 

Continue Reading


Barry beat Reds on penalties in League Cup



LLANELLI Town were eliminated from the Welsh Blood Service League Cup by old rivals, Barry Town United, on a penalty shoot-out in this second-round tie.

They will be disappointed to have gone out of the competition in this manner as the previous week at Canton Liberal in the JD Welsh Cup, they had been successful themselves in progressing in a similar manner by converting all their kicks, but this time both Louis Gerrard and Sean Cronin failed to hit the target, while their opponents, apart from one failure and some heroics from Reds` keeper, Scott Coughlan, ensured their entry into the next round.

Looking back at the overall game, the hosts could well have secured a result in normal time as they outplayed their opponents, who were relegated from the Welsh Premier at the end of last season, for long periods but still lacked that vital cutting edge which could well have brought dividends.

An early chance arose when Nathan Logan was found by James Parry whose delivery into the middle was deflected for a corner taken by Ryan Bevan, and his in-swinger forced Michael Lewis in the Dragons` goal to turn it over the top.

The half progressed with both sides virtually cancelling each other out, having plenty of possession but without offering a tangible goal threat, with both defences well marshalled limiting any potential scoring opportunities.

When they did occur, the home side looked the more likely to achieve a breakthrough, and Jamie Baker might have done better when he directed his header over the visitors` goal following a Josef Hopkins cross to the far post which was directed back into the middle.

The visitors were offering little in the way of a goal threat, and Coughlan was having a relatively quiet game, the only occasion he was called into action being a sprint off his line to clutch the ball at the feet of Drew Fahiya when he pursued a clearance to the edge of the box.

A long range effort by Jordan Cotterill was safely dealt with by the Reds` keeper, but at the break the contest remained scoreless.

An early home threat led to a strong run by Miles John culminating in him finding Tim Parker, but he was quickly closed down by the Dragons` defence and the move fizzled out.

A long throw by Adam Robbins into the box was headed down and met by Baker whose effort was just off target, and a similar scenario arose when Cronin met another Robbins missile but headed inches wide.

The hosts were by now dictating matters and outplaying their opponents but still were lacking that final killer ball to unlock the defence, the nearest chance arising when Gerrard met a near post delivery, forcing Lewis into a save to divert it clear.

With time running out, the Reds were desperate to end the contest in normal time, but the visitors held out to ensure the tie would be settled by the way of penalties.

Gerrard was first up, but Lewis saved his kick with some ease, and when Cronin struck the woodwork with his attempt, Reds` hopes were already vanishing. The visitors` Kayne McLaggon, Liam Warman, Evan Press and Troy Greening all netted, with Hopkins and Bevan just about keeping the home side alive, and when Coughlan denied Gavin Beddard, an unlikely comeback was on the cards, before he was desperately unlucky when he parried the final kick by Greening only to see it drop over his head into the net.

This was the first defeat for the Reds in a run of twelve matches, and they have a chance to quickly redeem themselves against the same opponents when they travel to Jenner Park on Friday evening for a JD Cymru South league fixture, with a 7.30 p.m. start.

Continue Reading


Reds hit Aber for six to go top



Following the weekend fixtures, Llanelli Town now occupy top spot in JD Cymru South following the Friday evening demolition of Abergavenny Town to more than make up for their opening day home defeat at the hands of their opponents in the MG Cup – their only loss to date.

They extended their overall unbeaten run to ten matches during which time they have racked up 25 goals while conceding only 3, and on this showing can be considered one of the favourites for promotion come the end of the season – although there is still an awful long way to go.

The close season signings by the management team of Lee John and Dylan Blain are reaping the benefits, with every member of the squad playing their part in ensuring each performance is played to perfection, demonstrated by the latest success when the goals were shared between six individual players.

Results elsewhere also went in their favour, with nearest rivals, Cambrian & Clydach Vale, crashing to a shock home 4-1 defeat at the hands of Pontardawe Town, allowing Barry Town United to now claim second place two points adrift of the Reds following a 3-1 defeat of Taffs Well.

The opening twenty minutes were scrappy with neither side really offering much in the way of clear-cut chances, the only real threat arriving from the visitors` Joshua Bell who forced Scott Coughlan to divert his effort around the upright, which turned out eventually to be their only shot on target throughout the contest.

Two home goals in the space of as many minutes then changed the whole complexion of the match, with the opener arriving in a somewhat bizarre fashion when a speculative Ryan Bevan effort from 25 yards on target prompted goalkeeper Suleimane Susso to attempt to volley it clear, but he missed it completely, leading to the softest of goals in the 21st minute.

Within a minute, the lead was doubled following some good build-up play which culminated in Tim Parker gaining possession before swivelling to drive his finish into the bottom corner.

Now comfortably in control of proceedings, the hosts were giving their opponents plenty to think about, and might have gone even further ahead when Keane Watts was sent clear by a ball over the top by Kyran Steadman, but he screwed his finish off target.

A Nathan Logan cross destined for the head of Parker was just nicked away from by a defender, while Susso did well to push clear a well-directed effort by Bevan.

The Reds continued to pressurise their opponents who for the most part were chasing shadows, with both Logan and Parker seeing their attempts blocked, and when they took a quick free kick, the finish by Bevan rebounded off the upright.

Inevitably, the lead was increased five minutes from the break following a corner to the far post which was directed back into the middle, leading to a scramble in front of goal, with Adam Robbins eventually getting the final touch to stab home the loose ball.

Comfortably ahead at the interval and dictating play, the home side continued in the same vein following the restart, with Watts seeing his strike from a narrow angle come back off the outside of

the post, before the visitors` task became even tougher when they were reduced to ten men on 55 minutes following the dismissal of Norton Ferreira for a second yellow card by referee Teifion Cook.

Parker directed a header into the arms of Susso when he met a Robbins delivery, before the Reds made a change with Jamie Baker being replaced by James Parry after 56 minutes.

Nine minutes later came further personnel changes with Thomas Hillman and Taylor Marsh on for Steadman and Robbins, and within four minute of this they struck again when a ball driven low into the goalmouth led to a fumble by Susso, allowing Watts the simplest of tap-ins on 69 minutes.

Two minutes later, and what was already a losing cause for the visitors became even worse when they were down to nine men after a deliberate hand-ball in the box by Efu Kazadi, leading to his dismissal and the award of a penalty which was easily converted by Josef Hopkins.

The Reds then suffered a blow when Watts went down injured in the box and had to be helped off the field obviously in some discomfort, Louis Gerrard taking his place.

Susso made a great save to deny Hopkins, but who was then instrumental in laying on the Reds` sixth three minutes from time, putting Hillman clear to finish clinically and complete the rout.

A simply outstanding overall display by the home side, and they will hope to replicate this form when they travel on Saturday to Cardiff to take on South Wales Amateur side, Canton Liberal, in the second round of the JD Welsh Cup.

Continue Reading