Connect with us


Magpies hold out battling Cefneithin to secure win



TUMBLE played their Cwm Gwendraeth rivals for the second time in three weeks when they welcomed Cefneithin RFC to Parc y Mynydd Mawr on Saturday afternoon (Oct 23).

Having already won the WRU Bowl District F1 group the previous weekend Tumble were keen for the victory that would give them the perfect 8 out of 8 record.

The game started with the visitors putting pressure on the home side with the majority of play happening in Tumble’s half.

The Magpies gradually came into the game through the strong running of their forwards including number 8 Nathan Willard and Flanker Callum Williams.

At the point where Tumble were started to establish themselves in the game a penalty was awarded to Cefneithin which their outside half duly converted from 35 metres out making it 0-3 after 12 minutes.

It however only took four minutes for the Magpies to go into the lead when a driving line out resulted in scrum half Iwan Morgan powering his way over from the rear of the maul. Outside half Steven Hewitt added the conversion to make the score 7-3.

Another penalty to Cefneithin after 19 minutes saw Tumble’s lead closed down to a point, 7-6.

It only took a couple of minutes before the Magpies scored a fine team try to extend the lead to 14-6.

Off the top line out ball at the rear of the line out from Callum Williams saw Tumble go through the phases before spreading the ball out to their dangerous backs. Incisive running and support play saw the Magpies cut through the opposition before openside Steffan Owen received a floated pass to dives over to the right of the posts. A great team try which was converted with ease by Hewitt.

The Magpies were now in the mood and throwing the ball around freely. Five minutes after Owen’s try another great team move saw young second row, Ryan Williams score wide out on the right after taking the scoring pass from skipper Steffan Price. Hewitt struck the right upright with the conversion attempt from wide out.

It was now 19-6 with the Magpies looking likely to secure the fourth try and bonus point, with the way they were playing. To their credit Cefneithin rolled up their sleeves and put pressure on the Magpies line in the closing stages of the first half.

On 40 minutes Cefneithin had a penalty attempt from 40 metres but the ball dropped short of the cross bar before being booted out of play by Hewitt to end the half. 19-6 to the Magpies at the interval with them looking good value for the lead.

Cefneithin started the second half much the same way as the first putting the home side under pressure.

Experienced centre Richard Davies was forced to leave the field on two minutes unto the half with a groin injury which didn’t help the home side’s cause, young centre Alex Jones coming on as replacement.

Tumble were now conceding penalties, some of which appeared a tad harsh and this affected the flow to their game.

A missed penalty for Cefneithin, was a let off for a Tumble side who lost former Wales age group international Callum Williams only five minutes into the half.

Cefneithin were now pressing and the penalties being awarded against the Magpies were affecting their ability to do anything with the possession that came their way.

On 61 minutes a tap penalty for Cefneithin deep in Tumble’s 22 saw them charge over for converted try to close the gap to 19-13.

On 64 minutes Cefneithin went over for another try to make the score 19-18. Tumble hearts were in mouths as Cefneithin’s number 10 lined up the kick but to great relief it was pulled to the right of the posts to leave the Magpies with the slender one-point lead.

Digging in, Tumble got deep into Cefneithin territory for the last five minutes, driving towards the Green and Gold’s try line before the ball was booted off the park by Hewitt on the 80 minutes.

Photo by Darren Harries. Report by Tumble RFC

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Pontarddulais Workmens seal fine victory in Snooker League



STEVE Dunn’s fine 73 break was the undoubted highlight of Pontarddulais Workmens’ solid 6-1 victory against Burry Port Legion in the Llanelli Snooker first division.

Mike Footman, Keri Davies, Adam Griffiths and Kevin Sullivan added winning support while just Rich Nurse averted the whitewash for the Legion, for whom Rob Davies made a 32 break.

Dan Wells also made a 70-plus break, a fine 74 knock as Matchroom Reds also won 6-1, R.Evans, J.Thomas, L.Grey and C.Price also on top against Upper Tumble Blues; only E.Rees won for the visitors.

Similarly, just Nigel Lewis won as his side, Ponthenri crashed 6-1 at Gorseinon Workmens’; D.Williams (47), J.Wilcox, M.Dodd and K.Murrells added wins for the Brighton Road cuemen.

It was closer at Trimsaran, where the home side edged a 4-3 win against Llandybie Social A, courtesy of J.Tudor, C.Thomas (30) and L.Lloyd; Lindsey Pugh, Huw Morgan and Wyn Major hit back for the latter.

Andrew Hatto and Gavin Lewis were on the ball for Morfa, who went down 5-2 at Snooker World Whites; Andrew Whitfield (51 break), B.Thomas, J.Gimblett and A.Krysa added wins for the Ammanford side ,who, in a busy week, also won 4-3 at Pontyberem, thanks to A.Krysa, C.Jackson and B.Thomas; E.Bowen, S.Caton and A.Harris replied for ‘Berem.

Pontyberem also during the week were beaten 5-2 at Cross Hands B, whose frame winners were A.Phillips, Dai Isaacs, Gary Stead and Paul Martin.

Llanesco enjoyed a 5-2 victory at Llanelli Cons A, following wins from P.Shoulder, L.Lloyd, D.Bohn and M.Stevenson; Cons’ winning duo were Mark Sargent and Gavin Quinnell.

Elsewhere, C.Jones and L.Jones (31) were on top for Reading Room Blues in the Burry Port side’s 5-2 defeat at Matchroom Whites, with C.Davies, D.Roberts, L.Davies and W.Bowen on song for the “Gwyns”.

In Division 2, D.Jones, D.Sigsworth and S.Wright edged an aggregate win by just 12 points for Llandybie RFC in a 4-3 result against Upper Tumble Reds, who hit back via Mike Sainty, S.Marsall and N.Allinson.

T.Rawlings, J.Dean and C.Hurley claimed a similar 4-3 win for Burry Port Reading Room Reds against Snooker World Blues; Chris Waters, Callum Fuge and Steffan Rees were on song for the visitors.

It also needed the aggregate to split the sides as Llandybie Social B saw off Cross Hands A 4-3, Steve Pearson, Ian Matthews and Howard Wood winning; Adam Rees, Scott Bundfuss and Elwyn Williams were on the ball for the latter.

Matchroom Blacks returned from their visit to Upper Tumble Reds clutching a 5-2 success, after Rhys Morgans, Dean Shoulder, Ryan Maides and James Anthony had all won their frames; Steve Marshall and R.Williams replied for the  hosts.

Bern Price, Ray Barney, G.Stollery and K.Gronow gave the Gremlin Club A a 5-2 victory against Bryn A; J.Townsend and J.Jones replying.

In other news, there were Cup wins for Llanesco (4-1 against Cross Hands A), also Llanelli Cons A (5-2 at Matchroom Blacks), and for Llandybie Social B (5-2 over Bryn B).

Continue Reading


Bury Port withstand Tenby fightback



BURY PORT had to withstand a strong second half comeback from Tenby United on Saturday (Nov 27) as they earned a 27-21 victory.

The Blacks had raced into a 27-0 at half time with tries coming from Lewis Daniel, David Booth, Bradley Crossman and Joshua Evans

Lee Evans added two conversions and a penalty as they built up a commanding lead.

In a game of two halves it was the Seasiders who started well in the second half and their play was soon rewarded.

Luke Dedman, Yannic Parker and Jack Broadhurst all scored tries for Tenby in the second half as they looked to get something from the game.

Gwion Jones converted all three tries from under the posts as the visiting Seasiders at least earned a losing bonus point for their efforts.

They were however left feeling that they could have won the game following their second half display.

They will look to put that right on Saturday, December 4, when they travel to Pontarddulais.

The win for Burry Port puts them top of the League 2 West table with 9 points from their opening two games.

On Saturday they will look for another win as they travel to Pontyberem.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Legg departs Llanelli Town



MANAGER Andy Legg has left Llanelli Town as the club seeks to make a number of changes.

Lee departed on Thursday evening (Nov 25) while coaches Gary Lloyd and Chris Thomas have also left their roles.

It comes just hours after the club announced that captain Kyle Copp had also left the club.

Kyle made 42 appearances for the Reds scoring 8 goals. He made his debut against Goytre back in August 2019.

The club had also announced on Tuesday that Zac Brown was leaving the club. He had played 41 times for the Reds scoring nine times.

Speaking of Legg’s departure a statement on the club’s social media pages reads: “Although not an easy decision given his club status and what he has achieved over the years here at Stebonheath Park we would all like to wish him the best and he will always receive a warm welcome here.

“With our club vision set out by chairman Wayne Stephens many changes will be made throughout the whole club over the Christmas period.

“We will announce Andy’s successor in due course. Thanks again Leggy.”

Commenting on his departure on Twitter, Andy said: “Just a quick message to say thank you the supporters for you support during my time at the club. We wish the club well.”

Llanelli Town currently sit in sixth place in the JD Cymru South table with six wins, five draws and four defeats in their 15 league games so far this season.

Legg’s last game in charge of the club was a 3-0 loss away at Goytre United.

They are next in action on Friday, December 3, when they face Goytre United in the reverse fixture at Stebonheath Park, kick off 7:30pm.

PHOTO by Llanelli Town

Continue Reading