ONE lucky Halifax saver will be celebrating in style this festive season after he found out he’d won the top £100,000 prize in the Halifax Savers Prize Draw.
Timothy Davies, an HGV driver from Llanelli, Wales, received the news and said he was “completely overwhelmed.”
Mr Davies, 61, has banked with Halifax for 26 years and couldn’t believe his luck when bank colleague Sam Borsden-Doyle of Llanelli branch told him he was the winner of £100,000.
Mr Davies said: “I have never won anything in my life and I never thought I stood a chance of winning. I am shocked and completely over the moon – my partner didn’t believe me!
“I plan to use the money to help with my daughter’s education and purchase a buy to let to help me when I retire. I will also use it to pay for laser treatment on my eyes and I hope to plan some travel. In the meantime, we are planning an extra special Christmas this year.
“I am truly overwhelmed to receive £100,000 and I want to thank everyone at Halifax.”
The Halifax Savers Prize Draw* rewards over 1,600 savers every month, with prizes ranging from £100 all the way to £100,000.
The draw is now in its 10th year and, over the past decade, Halifax has paid prize money of over £75 million to nearly 160,000 customers. Over £6 million has been won in 2021 alone.
Russel Galley, Managing Director, Halifax, said: “We’ve been running our Savers Prize Draw for a whole decade now and we’re thrilled for Tim as one of our recent £100,000 top prize winners – it’s always wonderful to hear how much of a difference the prizes make to people’s lives. The whole team are always so excited when we make calls to our winners each month and we’ve certainly made lots of them, as we’ve now given away over £75 million to nearly 160,000 customers. We’re looking forward to congratulating many more winners in 2022 and beyond.”
Domestic abuse victims in Wales to be given more time to report assaults
DOMESTIC abuse victims in Wales and England to be given more time to report assaults.
New measures targeted directly at keeping women and girls safer will be added to the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill last week (Jan 4) the UK Government has announced.
Under the changes, victims of domestic abuse will be allowed more time to report incidents of common assault or battery against them. Currently, prosecutions must commence within six months of the offence.
Instead, this requirement will be moved to six months from the date the incident is formally reported to the police – with an overall time limit of two years from the offence to bring a prosecution.Domestic abuse is often reported late relative to other crimes; so this will ensure victims have enough time to seek justice and that perpetrators answer for their actions.
The UK Government says that today’s announcement builds on measures already in the Bill to better protect women such as ending the halfway release of offenders sentenced between four and seven years in prison for serious sexual offences – forcing them to spend two-thirds of their time in prison.
In December, the legislation was amended to make clear that a new legal duty requiring public bodies to work together to tackle serious violence can also include domestic abuse and sexual offences.
It means that these crimes should be taken as seriously as knife crime and homicide, with police, government, and health bodies required to collaborate locally, so that they can develop more holistic strategies to protect people from harm, including through early intervention.
Home Secretary, Priti Patel, said: “My commitment to making our homes, streets and communities safer for women and girls is clear.”
“Every department in government is working to address and tackle all issues relating to violence against women and girls.”
“The Government has a focussed strategy, dedicated to providing essential support for survivors, the prevention of crimes against women and girls and bringing perpetrators to justice with the full force of the law.”
“Our actions include the new Domestic Abuse Act, with important changes to our laws; a newly created national police lead responsible solely on violence against women and girls, and millions of pounds have been invested in direct safety measures through the Safer Streets Fund.”
“These are all important public confidence measures and changes to ensure the safety of women and girls in public spaces.”
The UK Government has also said that taking non-consensual photographs or video recordings of breastfeeding mothers will be made a specific offence punishable by up to two years in prison.
It covers situations where the motive is to obtain sexual gratification, or to cause humiliation, distress or alarm.
Similar legislation introduced by the UK Government in 2019 that criminalised “up skirting” has led to more than 30 prosecutions since it became law.
Club Logic announces last two events as venue plans to diversify in 2022
AFTER latest government advice, Club Logic announces its two last events: the Christmas Party with headliner David Rust, and their closing party, the Ultimate Boxing Day Classics event.
Yesterday the Welsh Government’s complete closure of all Nightclubs for the foreseeable future with effect from midnight December 27th, came as a massive shock to many, and is another massive setback for the already suffering Welsh music and leisure industries sector.
The owner/promoters of Club Logic have hosted some of the most groundbreaking club nights that Wales has ever seen and in the face of great adversity caused by Covid, they reopened the venue, in accordance to government guidelines.
With diversification already in the pipeline for Club Logic, which will transform it into the Gorseinon Entertainments Centre, The venue manager Cheryl Trotman said: “we are looking forward to the launch of our new venture and will be announcing the launch date, as soon as we have clarity from the government. But for now though, we are concentrating on finishing 2021 in true style.”
Their legendary festive Black Friday Christmas Party and Boxing Night Classics event are well known, revered and always well attended. As these will be the two last ever promotions in the venue as you know it, you can guarantee that both will go off with a bang!
Tonight’s Christmas event (Friday 17th December) features Scottish trance stalwart David Rust with support from Billy Gillies, Will Rees and support DJs. Tickets have been flying out and such is the appetite for a proper Christmas cracker, the opening times have been moved forward, and the doors open: 6pm – 4am, and early arrival is advised!
Then on Sunday 26th December, Club Logic’s closing party will be their last ever Boxing Night’s Classics event. The doors open at 5pm and the management, DJ’s and everyone involved, will be closing the club in true Logic style. Supplying the aural delights will be DJ’s: Alan Sykes, Andrew Butty Davies, Ben Saunders, Callan Christie, Rhys Thomas, Rob Rees and Simon Davies. The event will of course finish at the stroke of midnight.
Venue address: Club Logic, 12 High Street, Gorseinon, Swansea SA4 4BX.
For info please visit: https://www.facebook.com/logicmusicevents
Demolition of 4 Tys begins in Tyisha, Llanelli
WORK to demolish the Four Tys housing blocks in Tyisha, Llanelli has started, marking the next exciting step in Carmarthenshire County Council’s plans to Transform the area.
The demolition work is set to be completed by civil engineering contractor Walters over the next 20 weeks and will enable the build of modern, mixed-use housing which meets the needs of the community.
Improvements to existing homes and the creation of community facilities and green spaces will also form part of changes on the horizon for Tyisha.
Cllr Linda Davies Evans, chair of the Transforming Tyisha steering group and cabinet member for housing said: “The demolition of the Four Tys marks an important step in the Transforming Tyisha project. Although this process will evoke powerful memories for many of the people who have lived and worked in Tyisha since the Four Tys were built in the 1960s, their demolition will enable us to provide the housing and facilities that the community needs.
Local residents and businesses who may be impacted by the demolition process will be contacted throughout to ensure minimum disruption.”
This forms a part of the council’s ambitious plans to regenerate the Tyisha ward and the wider Llanelli town centre area which is undergoing massive investment.
The council is also seeking a partner to develop new housing and create a vibrant community. An early market engagement exercise is currently live which gives potential partners the opportunity to express their interest in working with the council to transform the area.
Fresh and innovative ideas for this exciting project can be submitted to the council until December 7.
For more information on the early market engagement process or the council’s Transforming Tyisha regeneration project please visit www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/tyisha
The demolition of the ‘Four Tys’ forms part of the council’s ambitious Transforming Tyisha project which looks to regenerate the area through increasing community safety, developing housing and community facilities and improving the environment.
Health2 weeks ago
Omicron surge leads to changes in testing in Wales
Health1 week ago
Omicron peak could come in ‘the next 10 to 14 days’ in Wales
News1 week ago
Llanelli Police Station to temporarily close for improvement work
Sport2 days ago
Saunders stars as Llangennech beat Gowerton
Health1 week ago
Public Health Wales apology over lack of clarity on smear test changes
Education2 weeks ago
Over £100m of new funding will help make schools and colleges Covid-secure
Education1 week ago
£18m to support children and young people with additional learning needs
Sport6 days ago
Llanelli Town announce triple signing