Connect with us


Inspired sub gives Reds victory



AN inspired substitution by the Llanelli Town management team of Lee John and Dylan Blain twelve minutes from the end of normal time, ultimately led to the winning goal by Fraser Finlay who had replaced Brandon Griffiths just two minutes previously, hammering home an 80th minute score which sealed the three points for the visitors.

This result was no more than the Reds deserved based particularly on their second half efforts, although they were under the cosh for much of the opening forty five minutes with their opponents going close on a number of occasions, although goalkeeper Exauce Dimonekene was never seriously troubled despite the pressure.

In fact, he more than earned his stripes after the restart, with a string of outstanding saves which frustrated the hosts, while the woodwork also played its part in preserving the away goal when the Ferry pushed forward.

Apart from these near misses, it was the Reds who almost took the lead in the opening minutes when an effort from long range by Sam Parsons seem to deceive Conah McFenton in the home goal who allowed it to run past him, and was then relieved to see the ball rebound off the base of the past before being cleared.

This was about the nearest the home goal came to being breached, as the rest of the first half proceedings were dominated by the hosts who retained possession for long periods, forcing their opponents into defensive situations from which they found it hard pressed to extricate themselves.

Ferry threatened when a delivery by McCauley Power was headed partially clear but met by Jasper Payne whose effort was well blocked by Daniel Barnard.

Daniel Alfei found Tyler Brock wide on the right, and his finish flashed across the face of the Reds` goal but harmlessly over for a goal kick.

Alfei was involved further, this time picking out Luke Bowen who forced Dimonekene to divert his finish wide of the goal.

Barnard brought off a saving header to clear away a searching cross by Joe Hunt, while Alfei headed narrowly wide when he connected with a Jack Hurley free kick.

Their opponents dominance meant the Reds were finding it difficult to launch any meaningful attacks, although McFenton was forced off his line to head clear from Louis Gerrard when he pursued a clearance to the edge of the home box.

Despite their overall dominance of proceedings, the Ferry had still not created any clear-cut opportunities up to the break and had not managed to breach their opponents` defence, and after the restart were dealt some of their own medicine as the visitors finally got to grips with the contest and looked far more menacing as a result.

They finally started to string together some telling moves, with the excellent Thomas Hillman the instigator for much of the play along with Ryan Bevan who also had a say in proceedings, and McFenton was called into some meaningful action for the first time, doing well to deny Hillman when he unleashed a fierce shot on target.

The home side, despite playing second fiddle in this half were still a potential threat going forward, and the Reds have Dimonekene to thank for a number of important saves, grasping a header on the line, before turning over another close range attempt after an initial effort had struck the underside of the bar and bounced out.

It seemed as if the Reds` luck was in with all these close calls not being converted, and they made the most of their good fortune with time running out with what turned out to be a vital change with twelve minutes remaining.

Academy member Fraser Finlay was introduced in place of Brandon Griffiths on 78 minutes, and within two minutes of his arrival was celebrating when he was found in space on the right by another superb ball by Hillman, and lined up his finish before beating McFenton comprehensively, much to the delight of the sizeable travelling support.

The Ferry goalkeeper was called into action again shortly after, doing well to keep out a well- directed effort at his near post by Hillman, before a late rally by an increasingly desperate home side led to a siege on the Reds goal, but somehow it survived with Dimonekene proving almost impossible to beat.

He rounded off a fine display by denying Bowen deep into stoppage time to ensure the visitors clung on to their slender lead and ultimately claim the spoils.

The Reds are in action on Easter Monday, as they host Briton Ferry at Stebonheath Park, kick off 2.30pm.

Ammanford are the Reds` opponents at the Rec, next Saturday (Apr 23) in their final game of the season, kick off 2.30pm.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Carmarthen representation at the Coastal Rowing World Championships backs sport to continue thriving in Wales



Carmarthen’s Zoe Davies, race committee chair for the British Rowing offshore championships and umpire at the upcoming World Championships in Saundersfoot, is
delighted to see the world’s best coming to South Wales – and following her own eventful
introduction to the sport competing at the 2015 World Championships believes
participation will boom thanks to a home major competition.
The World Coastal Rowing Championships 2022, with the likes of two-time Olympic
champion Helen Glover competing, will bring together two exciting formats of rowing across
the two weekends in Pembrokeshire. On the first weekend beginning on 7th October, the top
club coastal rowers from around the world will compete in a course along the Saundersfoot
coastline, followed by the beach sprint rowing the following weekend.
Tipped to be a future Olympic rowing discipline, the beach sprint finals will be an exciting
and fast-paced spectacle where the best of the sport will be celebrated in Wales. Reflecting
on the excitement building as the World Championships near ever closer, Davies is backing
Wales to be the perfect setting.
“Wales already had an established coastal and offshore rowing community – I knew when
British Rowing were bidding to host the World Championships that it was a no-brainer. We
have water on three sides after all!
“Before 2015, and before I competed at the World Coastal Championships in Peru, I was
coxing the really fine boats you see at the Olympics, what people might consider the
classical rowing you’d expect to see. To be honest, I rated myself and when I was asked to
compete in Peru I thought ‘how hard can it be?’ When I got there – I was quite literally out
of my depth, I had no idea where I was.
“I’ve learnt so much being involved in coastal rowing – I have found its great fun, great
technique – and if you’re watching, it’s so easy to engage with. For people like me, who at
one time was almost snobby about it, it’s an eye-opening when you actually watch and
involve yourself in the sport. That’s why the World Championships here in Wales will be
such a big moment, it will no doubt inspire so many new people to get involve in the sport.
“Having done the two previous events at Saundersfoot in preparation for the World
Championships, the coastal rowing scene is just so friendly. Being a local girl myself, the
Welsh are always welcoming!
“What drives this passion in the sport is that people know how much coastal rowing gives
them. The feeling you get out on the water, where you’re not looking at your mobile phone
and you can enjoy the natural setting you’re in, there’s no wonder everyone is so

“From a spectator point of view, I just know everyone will be glued to the action. The racing
is quick, you don’t need to know rowing to enjoy the competition and understand what is
happening. It’s a day at the beach, it’s a completely unique experience because the area is
stunning – Wales is the perfect setting for the world’s best offshore rowing talent.”
With the discipline growing at an exponential rate, as boats are made available across Wales
for grassroots coastal rowing clubs to engage more and more participants, Davies sees a
bright future for the sport – and a new generation inspired by a World Championships
coming to Wales.

Continue Reading


Reds extend unbeaten run to nine matches



EXTENDING their unbeaten league and cup run to nine with this latest win, Llanelli Town are now level with current leaders, Cambrian & Clydach Vale, on 14 points with a just a better solitary goal difference separating them.

Two well-taken strikes in either half by Keane Watts saw off the challenge of their opponents, who had plenty of the ball without really creating too much in the way of clear-cut chances in an overall somewhat scrappy encounter.

Both sides were singularly lacking a cutting edge in the final third, although the visitors did create the better opportunities with Luke Martin in the home goal dealing with an early Ryan Bevan cross.

A run by Thomas Hillman up the Swansea left culminated in a low delivery which was deflected for a corner, before Scott Coughlan was called into action to smother a near post attempt from Adam Morgan.

The Reds were having the better of the overall play, with efforts by Hillman and Miles John both on target but were blocked or dealt with by Martin, before they eventually took the lead on 27 minutes courtesy of a sublime through ball by Josef Hopkins which put Watts clear, and he kept his nerve by drawing out Martin before slotting his finish into the bottom corner.

Another chance was then created with Tim Parker sending Hillman away on a run, but this time the finish was dragged wide of the near post.

The home defence was finding it difficult to contain their opponents, and it took a good defensive clearance to nullify another dangerous low delivery by Eli Phipps when he was set up by a John assist.

A rare home attack ended with Morgan directing his header over the goal when he met a cross by Tom Johnston, before it took a saving tackle from Warren Hudson on Parker to prevent the striker homing in on the target.

The best chance for the hosts came courtesy of some sloppy Reds defending when an under-hit back header meant for Coughlan was seized on by Tim Hicks, and it took a great tackle on him in the box to relieve the danger and an almost certain equaliser.

This scare seemed to unnerve the visitors who were then let off the hook again following a corner which was partially cleared before being re-circulated into the goalmouth, where Parker was on hand to clear it off the line.

Having survived these two late first half efforts, the Reds were still clinging on to their narrow lead at the start of the second period, and were quickly into their stride, forcing Martin into early action on a couple of occasions, before gratefully seeing a Phipps header rebound off the crossbar when he connected with a Watts cross into the middle.

The visitors then made two changes, with Bevan and Phipps being replaced by Kyran Steadman and Louis Gerrard on 59 minutes, but it was the home side who then went close to levelling matters when Harry Huddart unleashed a superb strike which brought out an equally stunning save from Coughlan to direct it over the top.

With the contest entering its final quarter, the Reds brought on Nathan Logan and Travis Marsh for Parker and Hillman after 75 minutes, and within five minutes of these changes struck again to seal matters with Watts again the recipient, taking full advantage when a defensive clearance rebounded off his back allowing him to win a footrace for possession before directing his finish across Martin on 80 minutes.

The visitors then safely saw out the remainder of the match without too much trouble, and with confidence sky high in the squad, now look forward to their home league encounter with Abergavenny Town at Stebonheath on Friday evening, kick off 7.30pm.

The draw for the second round of the JD Welsh Cup has awarded them an away tie at Canton Liberal on Saturday, October 8.

Continue Reading


WRU Cup round up: Wins for Llangennech, Pontyberem and Nantgaredig



THE WRU Cup competitions got underway last weekend and there were some exciting matches across all groups.

Llangennech sealed victory in their first game of the Division 1 Cup as they beat Kenfig Hill 32-17. They led 13-7 at the break and increased that in the second half.

Jordan Saunders scored the first try for Llangennech and Tom Neale converted before adding two penalties.

Joseph Hutchings was next to get on the scoresheet and Neale again added the extras to make it 20-12.

Replacement Rhys Davies then scored two tries with Neale converting the second one to complete the scoring.

The other game in Group H saw Llanelli Wanderers suffer a 21-30 defeat at the hands of Bridgend Athletic.

Lewis Jones scored two tries for the Wanderers and he added the rest with the boot.

In Group I, Hendy were also beaten as they suffered a 14-43 loss at the hands of Waunarlywdd.

In Group J, Felinfoel were beaten 23-8 by Bonymaen.

In the Division 2 Cup, Nantgaredig were victorious in an entertaining Group G game against Seven Sisters. They eventually ran out 32-29 winners.

The other game in that group saw Kidwelly beat Maesteg Celtic 52-7. Kidwelly put in a solid performance and their defence held up to some extreme pressure during the parts of the game.

Pontyberem were victorious in their first game in Group H as they beat Pyle 19-10.

The Bont worked hard for the win, scoring three tries with fly half Dominic Sauro crossing, and two tries for the returning back Mikey Jenkins. It was a solid enough performance against an experienced and rugged side.

In Group J, Burry Port suffered a narrow 23-26 defeat at home against Morriston. Tries for the Blacks came from Lewis Ellar and Osian Thomas. Lee Evans added two conversions and three penalties but it wasn’t enough for victory.

In Group L, Tycroes suffered a 3-39 defeat at the hands of Builth Wells.

In the Division 3 Cup, Tumble suffered a 22-42 defeat against Nantymoel in Group G.

In Group H, New Dock Stars earned a 22-13 win over Llanybydder. Tries came from Iestyn Bunyan, Adam Gealy and Glen Williams. Adam Gealy added two conversions and a penalty to help seal the win.

Trimsaran’s first game in Group I saw them beaten 13-32 by Aberavon Green Stars.

Bynea suffered a 52-0 loss in Group J against Tonmawr and in Group M, Betws were beaten 14-20 by Swansea Uplands.

In Group O, Furnace United were beaten 17-29 by Taibach.

Continue Reading