Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

CARER’S THEFT FROM CLIENT, 92

Thomas Sinclair

Published

on

carerON THURSDAY (May 16), Bernadette George a 57-year-old carer from Pembrey was sentenced to a suspended term of imprisonment for off ences of fraud regarding an elderly client and one of her own relatives. _ e o_ ences came to light when the police were contacted by solicitors acting for the estate of the late Mr Howard Topliss, for whom George had acted as carer for over ten years before his death last year at the age of 92. Prosecutor Andrew Smith told Llanelli Magistrates that Mr Topliss’ relatives were aghast to discover that there was not enough money to cover his funeral costs.

When interviewed about the the_ s from Mr Topliss, the Defendant claimed that Mr Topliss’ relatives were motivated by greed, saying: “No one wanted him, now he is dead everyone wants his money.” Mr Smith told the Court that a Police investigation had uncovered the fact that Bernadette George had been taking money from Mr Topliss’ bank accounts. A large number of Mr Topliss’ family were present at court to witness proceedings. George had also been collecting Mrs Margaret George’s pension a_ er volunteering to do her shopping and pay her bills.

Andrew Smith told the court that the defendant had originally sought to conceal her wrongdoing in respect of Margaret George, who had complained to family members of being short of money, by alleging that her victim was spending money on alcohol. It also emerged that Margaret George’s Barclaycard had a debt of £5,000 and that all her utility bills were in arrears. When Barclaycard had written to Margaret George about ‘her’ indebtedness, the defendant had lied and told the company that her victim was in a care home. The court heard that the George had used the Barclaycard to pay the rent and rates for her daughter who was living in Hertfordshire.

Defending solicitor Richard Morgan told the court that his client had a clean record and had never been before the courts. He said: “She isn’t in the best state of health and I can safely say that she has been extremely anxious about this case and has made herself ill worrying.” Mr Morgan told the court that George had been known to Mr Topliss for 35 years and had played an active role in caring for him. The e court was also told that the real reason for the crime was that the defendant’s daughter was having financial dificulties. Mr Morgan said that George ‘accepts she should not have done it and she accepts that she has dug herself into a deeper hole. She acknowledges how family members would feel towards her but she cannot turn back the clock’. George was given a 24 week prison sentence for each offence suspended for 24 months and placed on a 6 months supervision order. She was also fined £3000 and ordered to pay £85 costs and an £80 victim surcharge.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Four charged with conspiracy to supply class A drugs

Carli Newell

Published

on

FOUR people have been arrested and charged as part of an investigation into an organised crime gang supplying class A drugs from London to Aberystwyth, Llanelli and Swansea.

Dyfed-Powys Police, with support from The Met Police, carried out warrants at four addresses on July 21, resulting in four arrests.

Mohammed Osman, aged 23, Yonis Mohammed, aged 20, Salman Mohamoud, aged 23 – all from Islington – and Amy Simmons, aged 21, from Dulwich were charged with a total of 12 offences:

  • Mohammed Osman: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine,
  • Yonis Mohammed: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.
  • Salman Mohamoud: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine
  • Amy Simmons: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.

All four appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Friday, July 23, where they were remanded in custody. They are due to appear at Swansea Crown Court for their next hearing on August 20.

The investigation is being carried out by the Ceredigion Serious and Organised Crime Team, Aberystwyth CID and the Operation Orochi command of the Met Police.

Detective Sergeant Steve Jones said: “These four arrests and charges are the result of a coordinated approach to target an organised crime gang we believe is running a county lines operation into the Dyfed-Powys Police force area.

“We will continue to work diligently to disrupt gangs of this kind, to prevent the supply of illegal substances into our community.

“I would like to thank all officers involved, as well as the Met Police for their part in the operation.”

Continue Reading

News

New children’s play area in Bryn as part of new council housing development

Carli Newell

Published

on

A NEW children’s play area has opened in time for the summer holidays in Bryn, Llanelli as part of a new £5.9million council housing development.

Carmarthenshire County Council is building 32 new homes on land close to the Dylan housing estate in Bryn.

The scheme will be made up of 22 two-bedroom homes, four two-bedroom bungalows and six four-bedroom homes and is part of the council’s ongoing drive to deliver more affordable homes across the county. It has been part funded through the Welsh Government’s Affordable Housing Grant.

The development also includes a new children’s play area, funded by the council in partnership with Llanelli Rural Council, which will take over the running and maintenance of the play area on completion.

Executive Board Member for Housing Cllr Linda Evans said: “I am delighted the park has been completed in time for the summer holidays for the local children to enjoy.

“We are committed to delivering more affordable housing across Carmarthenshire and this development will benefit dozens of families in Llanelli, as well as proving much needed facilities for the local community.

“I would like to thank the rural council for collaborating with this us on this and I hope the children are thrilled with it.”

Before designing the play area, the rural council liaised with local schoolchildren to find out what play equipment they wanted at their new park.

Llanelli Rural Council Chairman Cllr Tegwen Devichand said: “The council is delighted to be working in partnership with Carmarthenshire County Council to provide this wonderful new play area for the community.

“The opening of the play area couldn’t have been better timed to coincide with the school holidays. I hope the local children will enjoy the range of challenging play equipment on offer and that they have lots of fun using it over the summer.”

The housing development is due to be completed by the beginning of 2022.

Continue Reading

News

Burry Port Harbour lighthouse overhaul tops council’s £2million investment

Carli Newell

Published

on

A £2MILLION investment in Burry Port Harbour is nearing completion, topped off with the iconic lighthouse getting a fresh lick of paint.

Carmarthenshire County Council is behind a range of improvements to maintain and restore the historic harbour which is one of the county’s most loved and well visited beauty spots.

Restoration of the Grade II listed harbour walls, undertaken under the guidance of CADW, will conclude within the next few weeks.

The council has also been working alongside The Marine Group, which operates the harbour, to improve mooring facilities. They are working closely with fishermen to bid for funding for new commercial pontoon infrastructure.

It will add to investment made over previous years which saw the council spend almost £1.5million on new pontoons, and over £300,000 in maintaining the harbour railings and bridge.

A local operator has agreed a lease for a cafe and public toilets on east side of Harbour, and the refurbishment of the old RNLI harbour office has recently started by The Marine Group (TMG) to create a harbour-side coffee house.

TMG has also invested in a state-of-the-art dredger which arrived at the harbour last autumn. Dredging is well underway and will continue until targeted depths are reached.

Boat lifting equipment and new fuelling points are also planned.

The council has introduced community safety officers to patrol the harbour assisting tourists and local people during the summer months, especially to advise around Covid regulations, as part of a tourism hotspot plan to take care of issues such as parking, litter, street cleansing, enforcement and signage.

Temporary car parking surfacing has also been laid on the east side along with new pay and display facilities ahead of a wider multi-million regeneration plan that will transform the harbour with a mix of housing, commercial and leisure space covering around 13 acres of prime development site.

Cllr Peter Hughes Griffiths, Executive Board Member for Culture, Sport and Tourism, said: “We are proud of our continued investment in Burry Port Harbour. We are spending millions restoring and maintaining historic features that are much-loved by local people and visitors who come from far and wide to enjoy what the harbour has to offer.

“We continue to work closely alongside The Marine Group and Pembrey and Burry Port Town Council to plan and prioritise works and ongoing maintenance. We are as keen as everyone else to ensure it is well-maintained and continues to be a place people can enjoy.

“We appreciate that there has been some upheaval during these improvement works but we ask people to understand that our investment will make Burry Port Harbour an even better place for the future.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK