Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Assurances sought over health board review

Published

on

Mark Tierny: “I will play an active role”

Mark Tierny: “I will play an active role”

A LABOUR Assembly candidate has written to Hywel Dda seeking assurances over the transparency of an upcoming review.

Marc Tierney, who will be standing in Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire has contacted the Hywel Dda Chief Executive Steve Moore after an independent evaluation of the changes in women and children’s healthcare in west Wales was announced at a meeting in Withybush Hospital last Thursday (May 28).

The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) are due to undertake an independent evaluation. Hywel Dda has said that the review will ‘provide an impartial and expert evaluation, including representation from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, plus a midwifery, paediatric and neonatal nursing view, and a lay representative.’

The evaluation was commissioned by Hywel Dda University Health Board following a request by the Welsh Government Health Minister in January 2014 for a formal evaluation after 12 months of the service change on the ‘the impact of the revised neonatal service on newborn outcomes and patient experience’.

Changes to neonatal and maternity services were made in August 2014, when the University Health Board created a single site Special Care Baby Unit at Glangwili Hospital, Carmarthen, and established a Midwife Led Unit in Withybush Hospital, with all high risk pregnancies being scheduled for birth, or transferred as necessary, to a Consultant Led Unit at Glangwili Hospital.

In October, the Universiaty Health Board also made changes to paediatric services, establishing a Paediatric Ambulatory Care Unit (or assessment unit) in Withybush Hospital, open 10am-10pm seven days a week, and a PACU and inpatient paediatric ward at Glangwili Hospital, Carmarthen.

Marc Tierney, who was present for the announcement of the review at the Health Board meeting last Thursday, said he believed it was important that the process is both transparent and understandable by staff and patients.

“The decision and subsequent removal of services last year was difficult and many of us shared our deep concerns about the process and implementation. The new management has listened to those concerns.

“But I want to be absolutely sure that the review’s terms of reference currently being written will be made public so that patients and staff fully understand the shape of the review and what potential outcomes are possible. The health service needs to prove it can once again be trusted with the way it makes these big decisions.

“To make that a reality, I hope that the Community Health Council (CHC) will play an active role in this review and that local residents who accessed women and children’s services since last August at either Withybush or Glangwili will take part. The health service must open to listening to those patient experiences, and I urge the public to come forward – either to the CHC or the Health Board so that their views are counted.”

The evaluation, scheduled to begin imminently, will assess the services against the benefit criteria identified in ‘Your Health Your Future,’ review the impact and outcomes of the neonatal service change, and determine how the current services meet recognised Royal College standards.

Speaking last week about the review, Mr Moore said: “We acknowledge that there has been significant public concern over the changes we made to some women and children’s services last year, particularly for our population in Pembrokeshire. For this reason, as well as assurance for us as a Board and our patients, an independent expert evaluation is essential.”

Anyone wishing to share their experience as a patient, or family member/carer, can visit www.hywelddahb.wales.nhs.uk/ myexperience and fill in a survey. You can also pick one up from the main reception at hospital or request one by calling 01554 899 056.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Detectives ask for help following an assault outside a Llanelli bar

Published

on

DETECTIVES from Dyfed-Powys Police are looking to speak to several men to help with its enquiries following an assault outside a Llanelli bar.

At around 3am on Monday, 29 August, a man was attacked outside the Met Bar in Station Road. He was left with a fractured eye socket, cuts and bite marks.

Anyone with information that could help officers with their investigation is asked to report it to Dyfed-Powys Police, either online at https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.police.uk, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org. Quote reference: DP-20220829-062.

Continue Reading

News

Prince and Princess of Wales to visit Wales

Published

on

THE PRINCE and Princess of Wales have planned a trip to Wales to visit a variety of communities across the nation and learn about the work of key charitable organisations. 

The Prince and Princess have a deep affection for Wales, having made their first family home in Anglesey, and have thoroughly enjoyed their previous visits and the warmth and kindness shown by the Welsh people. 

Their Royal Highnesses are looking forward to spending more time in Wales over the next few years, they hope to strengthen their relationship with communities in all parts of Wales. 

During their first engagement, Their Royal Highnesses will visit the RNLI Holyhead Lifeboat Station, where they will meet crew, volunteers and some people who have been supported by their local unit.

Holyhead is one of the three oldest lifeboat stations on the Welsh coast and has a remarkable history of bravery, having received 70 awards for gallantry. 

Their Royal Highnesses will then take a short walk to the Holyhead Marine and Cafe Bar, where they will meet local people, including representatives of small businesses and organisations, including the Coastguard and Sea Cadets. 

In their second engagement, the Prince and Princess of Wales are expected to visit Swansea. 

Their Royal Highnesses will visit St Thomas Church, a re-developed church in Swansea which supports people in the local area and across the City and County of Swansea. 

Over the last two years the church has been transformed into a thriving community hub and is home to a vast array of services, including:

  • A foodbank which supports over 200 people per week
  • Swansea Baby Basics which distributes essential items for vulnerable mothers across the city, such as toiletries and clothes
  • Facilities for the homeless including food, showers and toilets
  • A not-for-profit cafe and community training kitchen
  • A surplus food distribution network which collects food from supermarkets at the end of each day and distributes it from the church to prevent food waste and to help end food poverty

As part of their visit, Their Royal Highnesses will meet those volunteering at the church across different initiatives including Baby Basics and the foodbank. Their Royal Highnesses will also spend some time meeting members of the public gathered outside the church. 

The Princess of Wales has previously worked with Baby Banks and the in summer of 2020 brought together 19 British brands and retailers to donate over 10,000 new items to more than 40 baby banks nationwide, operated by Baby Basics, Little Village and AberNecessities. 

Her Royal Highness has visited a number of baby banks across the UK, including in London, Sheffield and West Norfolk where she has spent time speaking with families about their experiences of using their local baby bank services, as well as helping unload donations. 

Continue Reading

News

Road closed after man suffers serious injury in Burry Port

Published

on

OFFICERS from Dyfed-Powys Police are investigating after a man suffered a serious injury in Station Road, Burry Port.

Officers were called to a report that the man had suffered an injury at around 10.45pm on Saturday, 24 September. He has been taken to hospital.

A 39-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of assault. He remains in police custody.

A road closure is in place for scene preservation and is likely to remain for a number of hours.

Anyone with information that could help officers with their investigation is asked to report it to Dyfed-Powys Police, either online at https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.police.uk, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org. Quote reference: DP-20220924-360.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK