Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

It’s all about the bass

Jon Coles

Published

on

County Cllr Tegwen Devichand: “I think it is a good outcome for the residents.”

County Cllr Tegwen Devichand:
“I think it is a good outcome for the
residents.”

A MEETING between County Councillor Tegwen Devichand and residents living close to the Play King centre in Dafen took place on Friday (June 5) at Dafen Hall.

The meeting was set up to consider a planning application by the owner of the Play King centre David Edwards for nightclub facilities, including a license for alcohol. Councillor Devichand started by telling residents that she had submitted an objection to the plans to change the licensing to include alcohol and nightclub facilities for adults.

Ms Devichand said: “I had been called out with my slippers on to hear the noise. When I went into a resident’s home I could still hear the music. The gentleman who actually owns Play King contacted me and said he didn’t realise so many people were objecting.

“I told him people have the right to live in that area in peace and quiet. He said he would change the drink license and we have that letter from the owner David Edwards. I sent that on to the licensing officer. They sent that to planning and I sent residents a copy.

“He called me again and said he wanted to do what the public wanted. He was sympathetic and supportive. He was removing the first proposal, which was seven days a week. The new proposal is now 11 to 16’s from 7.15 until 10.15pm once a month for eleven months.

“With regards to the noise, he’s had a firm down from London and they have measured noise levels. Acceptable levels are 12 decibels but he has said he will reduce the levels to 9 decibels. It is in writing. The application will be considered on June 23.

Local resident Dylan Morris expressed concerns that residents were not clear on what the results of the noise testing were as they were only given a series of graphs, with no explanation. He added: “We want to clarify what these levels are and we would like to ask if they match the levels recorded by the council. Our concerns were that the owner was just saying he would change the application hoping we wouldn’t turn up to the hearing. If we let this go through would a precedent be set and if we don’t complain would he then say that no complaints have been received so he could have more days?”

Mrs Devichand said: “I thought about that and the council will be monitoring the situation. I would be happy to come out at any time. I think the owner has tried hard to appease everyone. If there were problems our officers wouldn’t like being called out all the time. There is a lot of night-time traffic in that area and there are factories there. They were not informed and that was of concern to me. I was told it wasn’t relevant to notify them. It is nice for the children to have somewhere to go. The police have said they are happy the children have somewhere to go. I will go to the licensing committee meeting to make sure that these changes are final.”

Mr Morris said: “If those readings are acceptable it’s ok saying that, but if that bass is still coming through it is not acceptable.”

Following the meeting the Herald asked Mr Morris if the residents had won a victory. Mr Morris said: “It’s not a victory we were looking for. All we were looking for was fair play and an understanding of our situation. We were happy that Tegwen took this on on our behalf and hopefully it will progress to a satisfactory conclusion.

“We don’t want to stop anything with regards to enjoyment for the children. We want that to continue but we also want some peace as well. We will now get together as a group of neighbours to consider what we have heard and we will take it back to Tegwen. As far as tonight is concerned I am happy with the outcome.”

Cllr Devichand told the Herald: “I think it is a good outcome for the residents. It is good that we can work with a local business and that the owner appreciates that people want to live in peace. The biggest concern was the noise, but when they found out there was a drinks licence and the extension of the times, it didn’t seem natural. The owner was a bit shocked that this sort of response had come about. He was quite happy to change the licence. Our officers have been excellent in dealing with this matter.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Four charged with conspiracy to supply class A drugs

Carli Newell

Published

on

FOUR people have been arrested and charged as part of an investigation into an organised crime gang supplying class A drugs from London to Aberystwyth, Llanelli and Swansea.

Dyfed-Powys Police, with support from The Met Police, carried out warrants at four addresses on July 21, resulting in four arrests.

Mohammed Osman, aged 23, Yonis Mohammed, aged 20, Salman Mohamoud, aged 23 – all from Islington – and Amy Simmons, aged 21, from Dulwich were charged with a total of 12 offences:

  • Mohammed Osman: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine,
  • Yonis Mohammed: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.
  • Salman Mohamoud: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine
  • Amy Simmons: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.

All four appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Friday, July 23, where they were remanded in custody. They are due to appear at Swansea Crown Court for their next hearing on August 20.

The investigation is being carried out by the Ceredigion Serious and Organised Crime Team, Aberystwyth CID and the Operation Orochi command of the Met Police.

Detective Sergeant Steve Jones said: “These four arrests and charges are the result of a coordinated approach to target an organised crime gang we believe is running a county lines operation into the Dyfed-Powys Police force area.

“We will continue to work diligently to disrupt gangs of this kind, to prevent the supply of illegal substances into our community.

“I would like to thank all officers involved, as well as the Met Police for their part in the operation.”

Continue Reading

News

New children’s play area in Bryn as part of new council housing development

Carli Newell

Published

on

A NEW children’s play area has opened in time for the summer holidays in Bryn, Llanelli as part of a new £5.9million council housing development.

Carmarthenshire County Council is building 32 new homes on land close to the Dylan housing estate in Bryn.

The scheme will be made up of 22 two-bedroom homes, four two-bedroom bungalows and six four-bedroom homes and is part of the council’s ongoing drive to deliver more affordable homes across the county. It has been part funded through the Welsh Government’s Affordable Housing Grant.

The development also includes a new children’s play area, funded by the council in partnership with Llanelli Rural Council, which will take over the running and maintenance of the play area on completion.

Executive Board Member for Housing Cllr Linda Evans said: “I am delighted the park has been completed in time for the summer holidays for the local children to enjoy.

“We are committed to delivering more affordable housing across Carmarthenshire and this development will benefit dozens of families in Llanelli, as well as proving much needed facilities for the local community.

“I would like to thank the rural council for collaborating with this us on this and I hope the children are thrilled with it.”

Before designing the play area, the rural council liaised with local schoolchildren to find out what play equipment they wanted at their new park.

Llanelli Rural Council Chairman Cllr Tegwen Devichand said: “The council is delighted to be working in partnership with Carmarthenshire County Council to provide this wonderful new play area for the community.

“The opening of the play area couldn’t have been better timed to coincide with the school holidays. I hope the local children will enjoy the range of challenging play equipment on offer and that they have lots of fun using it over the summer.”

The housing development is due to be completed by the beginning of 2022.

Continue Reading

News

Burry Port Harbour lighthouse overhaul tops council’s £2million investment

Carli Newell

Published

on

A £2MILLION investment in Burry Port Harbour is nearing completion, topped off with the iconic lighthouse getting a fresh lick of paint.

Carmarthenshire County Council is behind a range of improvements to maintain and restore the historic harbour which is one of the county’s most loved and well visited beauty spots.

Restoration of the Grade II listed harbour walls, undertaken under the guidance of CADW, will conclude within the next few weeks.

The council has also been working alongside The Marine Group, which operates the harbour, to improve mooring facilities. They are working closely with fishermen to bid for funding for new commercial pontoon infrastructure.

It will add to investment made over previous years which saw the council spend almost £1.5million on new pontoons, and over £300,000 in maintaining the harbour railings and bridge.

A local operator has agreed a lease for a cafe and public toilets on east side of Harbour, and the refurbishment of the old RNLI harbour office has recently started by The Marine Group (TMG) to create a harbour-side coffee house.

TMG has also invested in a state-of-the-art dredger which arrived at the harbour last autumn. Dredging is well underway and will continue until targeted depths are reached.

Boat lifting equipment and new fuelling points are also planned.

The council has introduced community safety officers to patrol the harbour assisting tourists and local people during the summer months, especially to advise around Covid regulations, as part of a tourism hotspot plan to take care of issues such as parking, litter, street cleansing, enforcement and signage.

Temporary car parking surfacing has also been laid on the east side along with new pay and display facilities ahead of a wider multi-million regeneration plan that will transform the harbour with a mix of housing, commercial and leisure space covering around 13 acres of prime development site.

Cllr Peter Hughes Griffiths, Executive Board Member for Culture, Sport and Tourism, said: “We are proud of our continued investment in Burry Port Harbour. We are spending millions restoring and maintaining historic features that are much-loved by local people and visitors who come from far and wide to enjoy what the harbour has to offer.

“We continue to work closely alongside The Marine Group and Pembrey and Burry Port Town Council to plan and prioritise works and ongoing maintenance. We are as keen as everyone else to ensure it is well-maintained and continues to be a place people can enjoy.

“We appreciate that there has been some upheaval during these improvement works but we ask people to understand that our investment will make Burry Port Harbour an even better place for the future.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK