Connect with us





Anthony Buchanan: Stepping down as head of rugby

Anthony Buchanan: Stepping down as head of rugby

AFTER ten seasons as Head of Rugby for Llanelli RFC (and over 30 years service to the Scarlets.) Anthony Buchanan is stepping down.
Due to Anthony’s appointment as National Appointed Director to the WRU Board and also running a busy Chemical Business (Acorn Chemical), he feels he needs to concentrate on his WRU role after being elected to several Committees and representing the WRU on the World Rugby Council.
Llanelli RFC have now appointed Kevin George as the new Head of Rugby. Kevin was Head Coach last season and has been involved with the Scarlets Academy and Llanelli for 15 years.
Also, last seasons Forwards Coach Ioan Cunningham has taken up a role as forwards Coach with the Scarlets, which leaves Kevin George having to shuffle his coaching staff, changes to which will be announced shortly.
After a disappointing season last year, the club has made some exciting signings for the new season, which started June 9th with conditioning at Parc Y Scarlets.
The club has welcomed into the foil:
Dion Jones, Full Back (returning from Carmarthen Quins).
Richard Williams, Wing (Swansea, Llandovery).
Andrew Spowart, Wing (Tata Steel).
Elliott Dawe, Wing (Felinfoel).
Nathan Edwards, Centre (ex-Osprey Academy, Wales U20).
Paul Davies, Centre (Swansea, Bedwas).
Josh Guy, Scrum-half (Swansea University).
Connor Salter, Scrum-half (Bonymaen).
Tom Kaijacks, Tight Head (Felinfoel).
Jack Jones, 2nd Row/Back Row, (Wales U20, Ospreys, Rovigo).
Adam Williams, 2nd Row (ex- Ospreys Academy).
Trystan Lloyd, Back-row (Lampeter).
Jack Condy, No.8, Scarlets squad ( Cross Keys).
The club have also welcomed the following players from within the development structure:
Kalum Evans, Full Back.
Mathew Owen, Centre.
Mathew Pearce, Centre.
Shaun Pearce, Wing.
Billy McBryde , Centre/Outside Half.
Declan Smith, Scrum-half
Rhys Fawcett, Prop.
Josh Mcleod, Back Row.
Shaun Edwards, Back Row.
Mathew Moore, Hooker.
Richard Bassett, Prop.
There are more signings pending, which will be announced on the Llanelli RFC website along with a full list of pre-season fixtures, the first of which kicks off in Kidwelly on Saturday August 15 .

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Legg departs Llanelli Town



MANAGER Andy Legg has left Llanelli Town as the club seeks to make a number of changes.

Lee departed on Thursday evening (Nov 25) while coaches Gary Lloyd and Chris Thomas have also left their roles.

It comes just hours after the club announced that captain Kyle Copp had also left the club.

Kyle made 42 appearances for the Reds scoring 8 goals. He made his debut against Goytre back in August 2019.

The club had also announced on Tuesday that Zac Brown was leaving the club. He had played 41 times for the Reds scoring nine times.

Speaking of Legg’s departure a statement on the club’s social media pages reads: “Although not an easy decision given his club status and what he has achieved over the years here at Stebonheath Park we would all like to wish him the best and he will always receive a warm welcome here.

“With our club vision set out by chairman Wayne Stephens many changes will be made throughout the whole club over the Christmas period.

“We will announce Andy’s successor in due course. Thanks again Leggy.”

Commenting on his departure on Twitter, Andy said: “Just a quick message to say thank you the supporters for you support during my time at the club. We wish the club well.”

Llanelli Town currently sit in sixth place in the JD Cymru South table with six wins, five draws and four defeats in their 15 league games so far this season.

Legg’s last game in charge of the club was a 3-0 loss away at Goytre United.

They are next in action on Friday, December 3, when they face Goytre United in the reverse fixture at Stebonheath Park, kick off 7:30pm.

PHOTO by Llanelli Town

Continue Reading


Trostre win again in Premier Division



TROSTRE picked up another win in the Carmarthenshire Premier Division on Saturday (Nov 20) as they came from behind to beat Seaside.

Nathan Lewis put Seaside ahead on 11 minutes but Dominic Saunders levelled for the league leaders on 25 minutes.

Just three minutes later Liam Jones scored to put Trostre ahead and Luke Jones scored ten minutes before the break to make it 3-1.

They were then dealt a blow as Jack James was shown a second yellow card and was given his marching orders shortly before half time.

Just a minute later Tray Jenkins scored for the home side to make it 2-3 and to give them some hope of turning the game around in the second half.

However, just three minutes in to the second half Liam Jones scored his second goal of the game and he then completed his hat trick on 50 minutes.

That made it 5-2 to the visitors and all but ended any hopes Seaside had of getting something from the game.

Luke Jones then scored his second goal of the game on 64 minutes to make it 6-2.

Christopher Price-Williams completed the scoring with fourteen minutes to go but that wasn’t the end of the action.

Seaside were given a penalty two minutes from the end but Jay Evans could not convert the spot kick and Trostre saw the game out for a 7-2 win.

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, Pengelli and Pontlliw drew 2-2.

Adam Scott put Pontlliw ahead after just six minutes as he scored a penalty but Shaun Rees equalised for Pengelli only four minutes later.

Ben Higgins scored on 89 minutes to seemingly give Pontlliw the win but in injury time, Carl Timbrell scored to make it 2-2.

The other game saw Killay earn a 2-1 win away at Loughor Rovers.

After a goalless first half, Ben Lynch opened the scoring on 51 minutes and just five minutes it was 2-0 as Liam Bennett doubled Killay’s lead.

Sub Michael Grimwade pulled a goal back for Loughor with nine minutes to go but they were unable to find an equaliser.

Fixtures for Saturday, November 27:

Burry Port v Killay

Gorseinon Athletic v Trallwm

Pontlliw v Loughor

Seaside v Pengelli United

All games are scheduled to kick off at 2pm.

Continue Reading


Burry Port and Gorseinon share the points



BURRY Port and Gorseinon shared the points on Saturday (Nov 20) as their Carmarthenshire Premier Division game finished 2-2.

The game was just four minutes old when the first goal went in as Charlie Taylor finished after being set up by Lewis James.

Gorseinon battled back though and just ten minutes later they were given a penalty. Matthew Brandon took the spot kick and scored to level the game.

Just six minutes before the break the visitors were given another penalty and Brandon again stepped up to score.

Gorseinon led 2-1 at the break but they knew they would face a comeback from a Burry Port side who had got back to winning ways the previous week, having not won since September 11.

And in the 62nd minute they did get themselves level as Taylor scored his second goal of the game.

Both sides went in search of a winner in what was a competitive game but it finished 2-2.

On Saturday, November 27, Burry Port host Killay while Gorseinon Athletic are at home against Trallwm.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading