Connect with us






Party Time: Gray celebrates his second with Wayne Riley

Airbus Broughton 5
Carmarthen Town 1

Carmarthen Town began their Welsh Premier League campaign with a crushing defeat against a strong Airbus side.

The Wingmakers, with a display of clinical finishing, fully capitalised on a calamitous ten minute spell of defending by Town towards the end of the first-half, effectively settling the result before the interval.

The match started badly for the visitors as they conceded a goal in only the third minute when Matty McGinn struck a fierce thirty-five yard free-kick that clipped the inside of the right post leaving goalkeeper Lee Idzi well beaten.

After that the game settled down with Airbus enjoying the greater share of possession and forward momentum while the Old Gold, prompted by the sterling work of midfielders Lewis Harling, Keiran Lewis and Ceri Morgan, launched a series of swift counter attacks.

On the quarter hour mark Morgan slid the ball through to Harling who raced forward and from the left edge of the Airbus penalty area struck a crisp drive that went narrowly wide. Moments later, consistent with the end-to-end pattern at this stage of the game, the hosts went close as Ryan Wade hit a stunning long-range volley which sailed over Idzi but struck the top of the bar and bounced behind the goal.

Just as Airbus were beginning to dominate play Town snatched an equaliser when on twenty-seven minutes Kyle Bassett sent a well-flighted corner into the packed goalmouth to find Mark Jones whose deft glancing header flew past home goalkeeper James Coates and into the net.

But rather than boost Carmarthen’s prospects, the goal served only to provoke the home side into producing a spell of intense attacking play during which the Old Gold defence suffered collective amnesia regarding the art and principles of their positions.

Ten minutes from the interval a huge clearance by Coates reached Budrys who headed the ball on to Tony Gray and he swept the ball effortlessly into the nets. A minute later Wade cut inside from the left-wing and found the net with a smartly-struck drive.

Then a long throw from McGinn into the packed goalmouth reached Andy Jones who was given the time and space to turn sharply before stabbing the ball past Idzi from close range. Moments later the game was, in essence, all over when Riley broke free down the right-wing sending a deep cross into the penalty area where the unmarked Gray had no trouble powering the ball home.

After the interval manager Mark Aizlewood brought on substitute Dwaine Bailey, the tall combative defender who had clearly been tasked with the job of man-marking Budrys who, with his height and strength, had unsettled the Old Gold defence during most of the first-half. Craig Hanford had the same instructions in relation to the lively Gray.

The effect was beneficial for Carmarthen, as for the rest of the game play was evenly-balanced although there were few notable scoring opportunities created by either side.

The visitors enjoyed their reasonable share of attacking momentum and seven minutes from time substitute Sacha Walters played a short free-kick across to Jones. He had worked tirelessly up front throughout the game, and from wide on the left edge of the penalty area he released a fierce drive that drew an impressive full-length save from Coates.

The Old Gold have made a worrying habit of suffering a heavy defeat in the early stages of each of the past five seasons but only rarely has that occurred a second time. It has to be hoped this too will transpire to be an isolated result; otherwise this is going to be a long, hard season for fans to endure.


Lee Idzi; Luke Cummings (sub Jordan Knott 80); Chris Thomas; Craig Hanford; Dan Sheehan; Lewis Harling; Kieran Lewis; Ceri Morgan (sub Dwaine Bailey 46); Kyle Bassett; Mark Jones; Liam Thomas (sub Sacha Walters 63).

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Gascoigne entertains Llanelli



OVER 400 people were at attendance in the Selwyn Samuel Centre in Llanelli on Saturday (Jun 18) to see former England legend Paul Gascoigne talk about his life and footballing career.

Gazza had the crowd in stitches with his stories from his past and was visibly emotional with the crowd’s warm reaction to him being there.

At one point a member of the crowd asked him if he could play one last game for one team who would it be… his answer was Swansea City to the crowds delight.

His next event will be in Tenby on September 17. The event was kindly sponsored by RDH Contractors and Sylan Lakes holiday cottages in five roads.

Continue Reading


Ryan Giggs quits as Wales manager with ‘immediate effect’



EX Man-Utd winger has left his position as the manager of the national football team with ‘immediate effect’.

Giggs stepped back from his role in November 2020 following after being arrested.

49-year-old Giggs has been charged with assault and using controlling behaviour towards an ex-partner. A claim that Giggs has denied.

In a heartfelt statement on his decision, Giggs said: “After much consideration, I am standing down from my position as manager of the Wales men’s national team with immediate effect.

“It has been an honour and a privilege to manage my country, but it is only right that the Wales FA, the coaching staff and the players prepare for the tournament with certainty, clarification and without speculation around the position of their head coach.

“I do not want the country’s preparations for the World Cup to be affected, destabilised or jeopardised in any way by the continued interest around this case.

“I am sad that we cannot continue this journey together because I believe that this extraordinary group will make the country proud at our first World Cup since 1958.

“It is my intention to resume my managerial career at a later date.”

Following Giggs arrest in 2020, former Wales captain Robert Page took over as interim manager.

Under Page Wales beat Ukraine to earn themselves a place at Qatar World Cup for the first time in 64 years.

Giggs faces one charge of using controlling and coercive behaviour August 2017 and November 2020, one charge of assault causing actual bodily harm of his ex-girlfriend Kate Greville on November 1, 2020.

He also faces a charge of common assault on the victim’s sister.

Giggs denies all charges against him and will stand trial on August 8.

The trial is expected to last five days.

Following the announcement, a FAW spokesperson said: “The FAW places on record its gratitude to Ryan Giggs for his tenure as manager of the Cymru men’s national team and appreciates the decision he has taken, which is in the best interests of Welsh football,

“The full focus of the FAW and the Cymru men’s national team is on the Fifa World Cup in Qatar later this year.”

Continue Reading


Llanelli edged out as Ynystawe pull off mammoth chase



A SCORE of 331-4 would normally be enough for a team to pick up victory, but South Wales Premier Division 2 leaders Ynystawe had other ideas as they pulled off a remarkable chase on Saturday (Jun 4).

Llanelli had been asked to bat first after Ynystawe had won the toss and their total was underpinned by a brilliant unbeaten century from Iwan Rees.

The opener hit sixteen fours and four sixes in his knock of 153 which came off 146 balls.

He had good support from Steven Devonald who scored 29 and Rhydian Morgan who scored 20 (2 fours, 1 six).

Rees and Rhys Harris shared the best stand of the match as they put on 157 runs for the fourth wicket.

Harris hit 12 fours in his score of 87 from 74 balls but he was out to the bowling of Rhys Palmer.

Rhys Westcott also finished unbeaten on 18 from 11 balls as Ynystawe were set 332 to win the game.

In reply, opener Nathan Lee scored 20 before falling to Jac Rees who also then took the wicket of Morgan Hodges on a score of 23.

Carl Roberts played well for his half century, hitting eight fours in his score of 56 before being trapped leg before by Aled Gilley.

Andrew Beasley was run out on a score of 15 and that left Ynystawe on 140-4.

Thomas Morgan and Luke Garthwaite shared 93 runs for the fifth wicket. Both reached their half centuries but Morgan was out to Iwan Rees on a score of 50.

Rees also bowled Ceri Durke and Rhys Palmer was run out by Rhydian Morgan having hit a four and a six in a quickfire score of 15.

That left Ynystawe 275-7 and they only had six overs left to get their target.

Garthwaite was on a score of 75 when Palmer fell and he took control as he smashed his way to a century.

He finished unbeaten on 118 from 67 balls after hitting 20 fours and two sixes. The last of his fours won the game for the home side as they ended up winning with two overs to spare.

On Saturday, June 11, Llanelli host Cowbridge while Ynynstawe travel to Penarth.

Continue Reading